Swinton (A)

Either interest is dwindling rapidly or these forums are on their last legs.

Matches against Swinton have often been unpredictable affairs but the lions must be favourites for this one, on current form. Their coach, Kilshaw, has a record of getting one over on us, just like he did last season and they have produced a couple of impressive performances. I will attend in hope rather than expectation.

Lions 26 - 18 Rams

FTS: Restall

Att: 985

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Either interest is dwindling rapidly or these forums are on their last legs.

I think this could be a topic all on its own.

Interest in RL is dwindling at a time when it is far more accessible on TV, just not at our level.

These forums are just a place where people moan, the fun has gone altogether. Even Piggy's Mate has disappeared!!! (Can't believe I've just written that!!, but it's ok he's not on here any longer.....please don't tell him!)

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Always tough at their gaff and it’s hard to see a win for me unless we have our injured trio back.   
amazingly I hadn’t twigged that Piggy’s mate had disappeared. Hope its not bad news on that front.  

I can’t see a win here unfortunately but I do see it close. We look generally ok but need to get sharper in a lot of areas + have more discipline, more play making and more leadership (so not much then 🤣).

24-18 is my predication 

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Always tough at their gaff and it’s hard to see a win for me unless we have our injured trio back.   
amazingly I hadn’t twigged that Piggy’s mate had disappeared. Hope its not bad news on that front.  

No, he posted a while back that the forums were a pale shadow of their former selves so wasn't bothering much. It's like complaining that all the pubs are shutting, even though you never go to one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

22 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

I think this could be a topic all on its own.

Interest in RL is dwindling at a time when it is far more accessible on TV, just not at our level.

These forums are just a place where people moan, the fun has gone altogether. Even Piggy's Mate has disappeared!!! (Can't believe I've just written that!!, but it's ok he's not on here any longer.....please don't tell him!)

Interest is at all time low because the game is run by clowns.   We lost our way years ago and have now lost all our maps.  
I can’t see a future for anything other than Super Duper Lesgue and I suspect but many of their fans even know there is a league 1😦

Edited by NickD

2 hours ago, NickD said:

Interest is at all time low because the game is run by clowns.   We lost our way years ago and have now lost all our maps.  
I can’t see a future for anything other than Super Duper Lesgue and I suspect but many of their fans even know there is a league 1😦

You could have written this 60 years ago (to the Reporter, of course). RL fans have always believed that their leaders are idiots - it fits with the rebellious origins of our game.

• Like 1

Returning to the topic, if we play for ALL of the game instead of half of it, I would say victory would be ours. Unfortunately I don’t think we can manage full throttle for 80 minutes and coupled with Swinton’s good performances so far, once again we will come away pointless.

Swinton 28-16 Dewsbury

FTS: Dixon

MoM: Dawson

Att: 676

Legs, Dews, Legs.

The Lord indeed works in mysterious ways - trams cancelled because of engineering works on Milnrow line so never got to the game and thus spared what sounds like an embarrassing second half. Anyone there dare express a view on what happened?

44 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

The Lord indeed works in mysterious ways - trams cancelled because of engineering works on Milnrow line so never got to the game and thus spared what sounds like an embarrassing second half. Anyone there dare express a view on what happened?

Would "a curate's egg" be a suitable description?

• Haha 1

On 19/04/2024 at 18:44, NickD said:

I think he is just peed off at all the negativity on both the Dewsbury and Batley forums, we don't hear much from Coolie either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

I attended so I will try my best to give my honest opinion. Neither team will win any awards for defending. The referee did not influence the game either way. 50 points flattered Swinton although they were worthy winners. Quite a few try’s conceded came from our own mistakes and failure to retain the ball. Now to the deciding factors. Swinton had more heart ❤️ than most of our players. They ran harder and believed in themselves more. Some of our players are simply not fit enough and they are not Championship standard players. We possess an odd few who are and my lord Reverend do I feel sorry for them. We have players who are taking a wage and doing hardly any minutes whilst others are slogging their guts out for the full eighty. For any observer who possesses an ounce of knowledge it is quickly becoming a shino show. We need reinforcements and we need them quick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

I attended so I will try my best to give my honest opinion. Neither team will win any awards for defending. The referee did not influence the game either way. 50 points flattered Swinton although they were worthy winners. Quite a few try’s conceded came from our own mistakes and failure to retain the ball. Now to the deciding factors. Swinton had more heart ❤️ than most of our players. They ran harder and believed in themselves more. Some of our players are simply not fit enough and they are not Championship standard players. We possess an odd few who are and my lord Reverend do I feel sorry for them. We have players who are taking a wage and doing hardly any minutes whilst others are slogging their guts out for the full eighty. For any observer who possesses an ounce of knowledge it is quickly becoming a shino show. We need reinforcements and we need them quick.

I think that’s a good summary and I can’t really add to that. Listening to DF’s report he suggested that we went away from what the team practised. I think I’ve heard that before, so like not playing the ball properly and allowing set restarts for the opposition, we don’t learn.

Does it help if I say we won the penalty count? I thought not.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

15 hours ago, RogerT said:

I think he is just peed off at all the negativity on both the Dewsbury and Batley forums, we don't hear much from Coolie either.

Coincidence?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

You need to pick up quickly. Next week's game against us is massive for both teams. Will probably give a reflection as to where we both stand.

We know the result already.  Donnie’s demolition of Barrow tells me all I need to know. 

17 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

As a Swinton fan I think that's a fair assessment, always a pleasure to welcome you guys to the ground. Don't think it helped the winger going off and the reorganisation you had to go through after that which seemed to upset your team.  Thought Bibby worked hard when he was on, always seemed willing to take the ball in, you scored a couple of nice tries as well but to concede 50 against us when our attack has been pretty much one dimensional all year wasn't a good showing 

• Like 1

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

To be honest I didn’t expect a win yesterday,but I didn’t expect a tonking either. To concede 50 points to a team that in my opinion are going to be down at the bottom end of the table like us is not good. I didn’t go so I can’t really comment on the performance,but the score line tell me everything I need to know. The feedback what I’m getting from the supporters that did go is our fitness and how poor it is. Where’s young Rush from the Giants,anyone know? 

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

To be honest I didn’t expect a win yesterday,but I didn’t expect a tonking either. To concede 50 points to a team that in my opinion are going to be down at the bottom end of the table like us is not good. I didn’t go so I can’t really comment on the performance,but the score line tell me everything I need to know. The feedback what I’m getting from the supporters that did go is our fitness and how poor it is. Where’s young Rush from the Giants,anyone know? 

He had a leg injury.

I don't think that half back was where our defensive weaknesses were, though. We conceded points right at the end that made the game look more unbalanced than it was and these coincided with Dixon getting a yellow card. I expect him to get a ban for that as well.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Thanks 1