Doncaster (A)- 28th April

Anyone travelling to Doncaster by car on Sunday there has been a change to the car parking this season which is now done mainly by an app or website.
  • Thanks 2

Given the lack of posts, guess some are giving it a swerve. Unless we can manage a win, then next 4-5 games look like little chance of picking up any points, so important to try and get something from this one.

Plus point is at least since the arrival of David March, we seem to be able to score points, but ball control, discipline and defence will need to be better to have any chance of winning a game in this league.

• Like 1

From May 1st players can be approached by other clubs about transfers. 

In my experience this can be an unsettled period for the teams as some players are working extra hard and wanting to impress, while others heads are messed up.

Unfortunately i’d suspect 3-4 of our ‘better’ players will be approached this following week but at least hopefully this boosts them for the Doncaster game knowing they may get a call if they have a good game.

Edited by RugbyPowelly
  • Like 1

I will be there, more in hope than anticipation I must confess. Doncaster will be clear favourites and, as has been said, we could be looking at a long run of defeats if we do lose. I am puzzled by the lack of any Giants players although apparently we have had some sickness in the camp, so it might be related to that.

On a note of realism I predict:

Dons 28 - 18 Rams

FTS: Davies

Att: 1200

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 26/04/2024 at 15:51, Wakefield Ram said:

Plus point is at least since the arrival of David March, we seem to be able to score points, but ball control, discipline and defence will need to be better to have any chance of winning a game in this league.

Attack might be better but defence ain’t and do I detect a slight drop off in team spirit or is my imagination running wild 😜

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Attack might be better but defence ain’t and do I detect a slight drop off in team spirit or is my imagination running wild 😜

Team spirit is bound to drop off with consecutive defeats against teams we should be competitive with. As soon as we concede the heads go down and there needs to be more leadership on the pitch from the more experienced players. 

Blaming players for "going away from the game plan" isn't the answer. The coach coaches them and is equally responsible. 

It's really unfortunate that our standout attacker Bailey O' Connor is out but overall if we play well for 70 minutes of matches then we are in a pack of a few teams in the lower half of the table. If we don't, we are looking at 3-4 wins this season. 

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 2

We nearly won at Barrow, Doncaster walloped them, we took a thrashing last week and I expect we will be bashed even harder at Donny. I reckon our defence will be ripped apart and any attack we might have thought we had will quickly disappear.

Doncaster 60-6 Dewsbury 

Try scorer: Restall

MoM: Turner

Att: 704

• Sad 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Talking to some wakefield fans they were not impressed by donny at all, as soon as they were behind they basically gave up,  so a quick start and we nay be in the running

An optimistic 22-18 victory

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just don't see a win, even if the game was played on Fantasy Island. 

Game plan seems to be 

Score a try, let 2 soft tries in

Which unfortunately worked to perfection last week. 

Big wide pitch will not be our friend today. 

Head says 54-8 to Doncaster

Heart says 32-18 to Doncaster 

Having a Sunday off going so will join the many Dewsbury supporters not going so I'll be joining them in their armchairs for the afternoon 🤔

14 hours ago, horbury ram said:

Talking to some wakefield fans they were not impressed by donny at all, as soon as they were behind they basically gave up,  so a quick start and we nay be in the running

An optimistic 22-18 victory

They have conceded more points than we have. On the other hand they have already played Fev, Wakefield and Sheffield, something we have yet to do.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

We nearly won at Barrow, Doncaster walloped them, we took a thrashing last week and I expect we will be bashed even harder at Donny. I reckon our defence will be ripped apart and any attack we might have thought we had will quickly disappear.

Doncaster 60-6 Dewsbury 

Try scorer: Restall

MoM: Turner

Att: 704

I think it'll be a lot tighter than that. 

An attendance of 704 would require a significant number of season ticket holders not to turn up and no away support or anyone paying on gate so I reckon that's a bit pessimistic 🤔

17 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Team spirit is bound to drop off with consecutive defeats against teams we should be competitive with. As soon as we concede the heads go down and there needs to be more leadership on the pitch from the more experienced players. 

Blaming players for "going away from the game plan" isn't the answer. The coach coaches them and is equally responsible. 

It's really unfortunate that our standout attacker Bailey O' Connor is out but overall if we play well for 70 minutes of matches then we are in a pack of a few teams in the lower half of the table. If we don't, we are looking at 3-4 wins this season. 

Completely agree.

We need a standout strong leader with some top SL level pedigree, ideally as captain. They can play a big coach type role on the pitch and drive it forwards.

I do sense a fergie and his best mates culture at the club right now which in my experience doesn’t tend to pay off. You need some separation from coach and players to really get them to listen and react. A strong on-pitch leader not connected to the ‘mates group’ would pay huge dividends. We lack that.

i am aware ex-good SL players aren’t cheap and that’s why we’ve got what we’ve got. But we can’t expect too much without it either. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Completely agree.

We need a standout strong leader with some top SL level pedigree, ideally as captain. They can play a big coach type role on the pitch and drive it forwards.

I do sense a fergie and his best mates culture at the club right now which in my experience doesn’t tend to pay off. You need some separation from coach and players to really get them to listen and react. A strong on-pitch leader not connected to the ‘mates group’ would pay huge dividends. We lack that.

i am aware ex-good SL players aren’t cheap and that’s why we’ve got what we’ve got. But we can’t expect too much without it either. 

Guess I'll be the first to say it, but I think we need a new coach. I don't know Dale Ferguson and have nothing against him, but to appoint someone with no coaching experience is a big ask. To appoint someone who used to play in the team is harder still as a coach and to do this with a squad on one of the smallest budgets on the Championship in a competition as tough as the Championship is asking for a near miracle. 

Well the miracle isn't happening and MS can either accept now we will be relegated or he can appoint David March or someone else giving them a few tough games we are highly unlikely to win anyway to bed in.

If not, as I have posted above it looks like a season of 3-4 wins, one of which we have already had. 

1 minute ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Guess I'll be the first to say it, but I think we need a new coach. I don't know Dale Ferguson and have nothing against him, but to appoint someone with no coaching experience is a big ask. To appoint someone who used to play in the team is harder still as a coach and to do this with a squad on one of the smallest budgets on the Championship in a competition as tough as the Championship is asking for a near miracle. 

Well the miracle isn't happening and MS can either accept now we will be relegated or he can appoint David March or someone else giving them a few tough games we are highly unlikely to win anyway to bed in.

If not, as I have posted above it looks like a season of 3-4 wins, one of which we have already had. 

Way it's going at Halifax 

Liam Finn will be available soon🤔

• Haha 1

Just now, coolie said:

Way it's going at Halifax 

Liam Finn will be available soon🤔

To be honest, I had my doubts about Liam Finn. He was fortunate he had probably the biggest budget in League 1. When he took over and we were in the Championship there was no noticeable improvement in results. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

To be honest its Mark at top thats the problem maybe if we had a chairman that has a little bit more money then Ferguson might have a better chance or maybe can bring in a better proven coach and have better quality players coming in and not all young kids, maybe time for a change at the top! 

I didn’t enjoy watching that this aft. Not one bit! All of what people have commented here is clearly accurate. 

I do try and control my expectations as we were never going to have a great season and we shouldn’t expect too much. But I would have liked to push Doncaster closer than that. 

The poor quality of teams last season probably flattered us as it was clear there were issues then, particularly in the pack and defensively. We’ve not improved from then obviously.  And I don’t think we can get out of this hole we’re now in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

To be honest its Mark at top thats the problem maybe if we had a chairman that has a little bit more money then Ferguson might have a better chance or maybe can bring in a better proven coach and have better quality players coming in and not all young kids, maybe time for a change at the top! 

Given MS puts substantial money into the club to keep it afloat and there's no one else lining up to do that, then can't see anything changing there. 

If we lost £150,000 last season and expect to lose another £150,000 this season, then how much more do you expect him to put in. He was probably even more cautious this season with IMG, but it might take another £50,000 to £100,000 to keep us safe. 

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Given MS puts substantial money into the club to keep it afloat and there's no one else lining up to do that, then can't see anything changing there. 

If we lost £150,000 last season and expect to lose another £150,000 this season, then how much more do you expect him to put in. He was probably even more cautious this season with IMG, but it might take another £50,000 to £100,000 to keep us safe. 

You would think that he would of thought maybe its time to let someone else move the club forward with more money, i understand what you are saying but i guess until we get someone with more money nothing is going to change unfortunately. Yes i agree he probably was more cautious this season for sure!  Can we really complain not so sure but all we can hope for is a turnaround in results sooner rather than later.

51 minutes ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

You would think that he would of thought maybe its time to let someone else move the club forward with more money, i understand what you are saying but i guess until we get someone with more money nothing is going to change unfortunately. Yes i agree he probably was more cautious this season for sure!  Can we really complain not so sure but all we can hope for is a turnaround in results sooner rather than later.

And the someone else is?  Not seen or heard of many trying to step up and throw money at us.  Thank god we have MS I say...If someone else with brass pops up Im sure he'd be the first to stand back but until then we owe him everything.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, feelslikezoom86 said:

If there is someone knocking about willing to invest (spend) substantially in a Championship club I believe there would be a small queue of club chairmen/owners eager to talk to him. RL clubs, especially lower league ones aren't an attractive proposition for anyone.

I agree that the squad isn't strong enough but, equally, there don't appear to be a host of suitable players knocking about to recruit. Ex SL players are no guarantee of success - we have had our share of disappointments there and I was watching one today who looked like very dubious value for money. We appear to have taken a bit of a gamble with recruiting young players who require development. Whether they will prove worthwhile and if we have coaching staff with the skills to properly develop them is debateable. I certainly don't think there are any quick fixes waiting to be found.

• Like 4