2 hours ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

Even after Steve McNamara's positive comments about French RL, and it being at home?

He has a SL to try and win, his priority isn't for the French National Team to win. So despite what he may say in the media, I doubt he would be encouraging all of his best players to play.

World Cup should really only be for the 7 nations that actually play the sport. In AUS, Eng, Nz, PNG, Fiji, France and Wales. Would also include Tonga and Samoa as they bring a lot of talent to the tournament but I would like to see a need for growth of the domestic game. Sides like Lebanon should be nowhere near the World Cup.

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

It does rather miss out quite a bit of the narrative. International RL is a tough sell, and when the biggest and richest RL nation in the world consistently undermines it, you get to the point where you have to question the motives. 

Four perfect recent examples.

1. Successful Four Nations concept scrapped, not replaced by a 6 or 8 team tournaments which was mean to be the plan. 

2. The sh** show that was the Denver Test. As above, RL is a tough sell anyway without internal sabotage. 

3. The postponement of the RLWC in 2021 and the associated costs that created. I have some sympathy with them on this one, but when other international sports were working out how to make it work, we just walked away. 

4. The recent criticism of the England's staging of the Tonga series, saying we need to do better (a valid point), but it was distracting from the car crash of the Pacific Final that they'd just held in NZ in front of a smaller crowd than that in Leeds. 

I was one of the biggest critics of the RLWC last time, but we have regularly pulled in crowds that the biggest RL nation in the world can only dream of. 

I think your use of the word “undermines” is overstating the position. Referencing your examples:

1. Is this solely due to the NRL?

2. I could easily argue the Denver Test sabotaged the NRL.

3. The NRL was not responsible for COVID and other sports didn’t have their best players under strict lockdowns for as long as the NRL stars were prior to their international events, nor were other sports hosting international events for as long as the WC was scheduled for and finally, the isolation standards in the UK were significantly less than the isolation standards expected of Australians at the time.

4. Tonga was a poorly executed series, worthy of criticism. The Pacific Final was a disaster as well.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

World Cup should really only be for the 7 nations that actually play the sport. In AUS, Eng, Nz, PNG, Fiji, France and Wales. Would also include Tonga and Samoa as they bring a lot of talent to the tournament but I would like to see a need for growth of the domestic game. Sides like Lebanon should be nowhere near the World Cup.

The domestic game in Tonga has come on leaps and bounds in the last decade and there is loads of domestic activity with clubs and schools. Just because there are better fully professional NRL players representing Tonga does not mean it doesn't exist.

• Like 2

A 10 team tournament will be pants. Convoluted group formats and no doubt played in front of sparse crowds in non-capital cities.

Whilst I disagree with assertions the NRL sabotage international RL, it’s not like they have thrown much investment, be it financial or otherwise, into successfully building public interest in international footy.

I would be ecstatic if Fiji, PNG, Samoa and Tonga got to host all their home fixtures. I think it would be significantly better than playing in Cairns, GC, Newcastle, Gosford, Wollongong and Melbourne. Pipedream I reckon, unless the NRL can sell it to the Aus Govt as increased Pacific diplomacy with a legacy of high standard CoE in each of those countries.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

The domestic game in Tonga has come on leaps and bounds in the last decade and there is loads of domestic activity with clubs and schools. Just because there are better fully professional NRL players representing Tonga does not mean it doesn't exist.

Good news, though as of now there are more Dutch domestic raised rugby league players than Tongan ones. Until there is a genuine pathway to the NRL and good number of Tongan players coming through the ranks it’s not fair to put Tonga amongst the likes of Wales, Fiji and PNG.

(Guys like Hurrell and Katoa were solely union players until moving to NZ.)

2 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Good news, though as of now there are more Dutch domestic raised rugby league players than Tongan ones. Until there is a genuine pathway to the NRL and good number of Tongan players coming through the ranks it’s not fair to put Tonga amongst the likes of Wales, Fiji and PNG.

(Guys like Hurrell and Katoa were solely union players until moving to NZ.)

I don't understand your Dutch statement. There is far more RL in terms of clubs and players in Tonga than the Netherlands. I'd be certain more than Wales too.

4 hours ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

Even after Steve McNamara's positive comments about French RL, and it being at home?

I understand that Steve McNamara is for the match in Toulouse in June - along with the St Helens  coach Laurent Frayssinous

• Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Posted (edited)

Would not surprise me if Jamicia beat France in the 4 team playoffs, so we end up with a WC with only one European team (England).  Don't count lebanon.

So this makes England finding decent opponents in mid season internations more and more difficult

Edited by crashmon
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Would not surprise me if Jamicia beat France in the 4 team playoffs, so we end up with a WC with only one European team (England).  Don't count lebanon.

So this makes England finding decent opponents in mid season internations more and more difficult

It wouldn't surprise you if Jamaica beat France? It would certainly surprise me.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't understand your Dutch statement. There is far more RL in terms of clubs and players in Tonga than the Netherlands. I'd be certain more than Wales too.

I mean that there is zero Tongan domestically raised rugby league players in the world playing at any good standard. Whilst there is 1 Dutch player in Joran Schoenmaker. 

Just doing some more research on the Tongan domestic game and learnt that a Tongan U16s side toured Australia last year playing Manly and Tigers U16s sides. 4 of those boys have been signed to NRL clubs, 2 to the bulldogs and 2 to the cowboys. Doesn’t look like any of them have been playing in the Harold Matts or Mal Meninga cup (U17 comps) though judging from the team lists.

Edited by NRLandSL

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think your use of the word “undermines” is overstating the position. Referencing your examples:

1. Is this solely due to the NRL?

2. I could easily argue the Denver Test sabotaged the NRL.

3. The NRL was not responsible for COVID and other sports didn’t have their best players under strict lockdowns for as long as the NRL stars were prior to their international events, nor were other sports hosting international events for as long as the WC was scheduled for and finally, the isolation standards in the UK were significantly less than the isolation standards expected of Australians at the time.

4. Tonga was a poorly executed series, worthy of criticism. The Pacific Final was a disaster as well.

1. The RFL had been the main driver of the Tri/Four nations concept, and when the RFL had substantial sway on the international board it was agreed to move into a Fed Cup which was an expanded Tri-Nations. There is no reason to believe that the RFL abandoned this tournament to replace it with nothing.

2. Nonsense. It was a Test match played during the international window. Every other sport does this. This one really shouldn't be up for debate, it was as clear a sabotage as you'll ever get.

3. As I said, I do have some sympathy here on the Covid point, but it does jar somewhat when we cancelled our tournament and RU was staging huge games in major stadiums here at the time our tournament should have been held. On the 6th November 2021 - Italy had 29k in, Ireland 40k, Wales 70k, England 81k and France 55k. Australia Union played three consecutive Tests over those weeks in front of 67k, 81k and 68k. NZ were over for 4 weeks in front of even more fans.

4. Tonga series was underwhelming - but lets be clear here - it compares very favourably to much of the stuff that the NRL has put on internationally. Australia played three tests this Autumn and they got 18k, 20k and 13k - with two of these being against their closest rivals NZ. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I mean that there is zero Tongan domestically raised rugby league players playing at any good standard. Whilst there is 1 Dutch player in Joran Schoenmaker. 

Just doing some more research on the Tongan domestic game and learnt that a Tongan U16s side toured Australia last year playing Manly and Tigers U16s sides. 4 of those boys have been signed to NRL clubs, 2 to the bulldogs and 2 to the cowboys. Doesn’t look like any of them have been playing in the Harold Matts or Mal Meninga cup (U17 comps) though judging from the team lists.

I see little distinction between someone like Joran Schoenmaker who was primarily an RU player who tried a little Rugby League and Eli Katoa who was born and bred in Tonga and moved to NZ to play Union on a scholarship and picked up by the Warriors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

I would bet my house that France will beat Jamaica.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

Lebanon isn't in Europe, France should beat Jamaica.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, crashmon said:

Jamaica beating France 😂???

Edited by NRLandSL

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Damien said:

I see little distinction between someone like Joran Schoenmaker who was primarily an RU player who tried a little Rugby League and Eli Katoa who was born and bred in Tonga and moved to NZ to play Union on a scholarship and picked up by the Warriors.

Really not that important. Just saying that there is no Tongan rugby league players in the world that have played rugby league in Tonga and gone on to play league at a good standard.

Also the Cook Islands with Kayal Iro if Schoenmaker doesn’t check out for you, my point still stands.

Edited by NRLandSL

Domestic Tongan RL is never going to be a sizeable production line. It is a tiny archipelago with limited infrastructure, and heritage Tongans based in Aus or NZ are always going to have advantages in how they develop. We should be proud of 'real life' RL being played in Tonga, but it's the population of Halifax spread over 45 islands so we shouldn't ever hold them to the same standards as a medium or large country.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Really not that important. Just saying that there is no Tongan rugby league players in the world that have played rugby league in Tonga and gone on to play league at a good standard.

Also the Cook Islands with Kayal Iro if Schoenmaker doesn’t check out for you, my point still stands.

What point? Your initial point is based on a false premise. Naming random players does not change that.

Iro also followed practically the same path as the Tongans you dismiss and developed in New Zealand. Being the son of a former Kiwi no doubt helped.

It is simply unrealistic to expect any of these small PI islands to develop home grown, NRL standard players in large numbers. Similarly it is awfully difficult for the players they do produce to be better than a Tongan heritage player growing up and developing their RL skills in the likes of NZ and Australia. Even promising Rugby talent that is produced is likely to get NZ school RU scholarship and seen as coming through that route.

• Haha 1

Just as an aside, in a Guardian online article about Australia hosting the 2026 WC it also states the the WC and qualifying process is part of ‘a reimagined international calendar in which England will tour Australia next year in a revival of the Ashes series’.

Has this tour previously been announced?  If so, I missed it. 

5 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just as an aside, in a Guardian online article about Australia hosting the 2026 WC it also states the the WC and qualifying process is part of ‘a reimagined international calendar in which England will tour Australia next year in a revival of the Ashes series’.

I don't think the 're' is needed in reimagined when it comes to international Rugby League.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

International rugby league fixtures 2023-2030 (intrl.sport)

Yes, the Ashes is meant to be next year. No more details than that. 

There have been a couple of threads on here in recent weeks about what kind of tour people would like to see.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

What point? Your initial point is based on a false premise. Naming random players does not change that.

Iro also followed practically the same path as the Tongans you dismiss and developed in New Zealand. Being the son of a former Kiwi no doubt helped.

It is simply unrealistic to expect any of these small PI islands to develop home grown, NRL standard players in large numbers. Similarly it is awfully difficult for the players they do produce to be better than a Tongan heritage player growing up and developing their RL skills in the likes of NZ and Australia. Even promising Rugby talent that is produced is likely to get NZ school RU scholarship and seen as coming through that route.

What are you even on about mate 😂

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Domestic Tongan RL is never going to be a sizeable production line. It is a tiny archipelago with limited infrastructure, and heritage Tongans based in Aus or NZ are always going to have advantages in how they develop. We should be proud of 'real life' RL being played in Tonga, but it's the population of Halifax spread over 45 islands so we shouldn't ever hold them to the same standards as a medium or large country.

No one said it is ever going to have a sizeable production line. But a few players in an around lower grades would be a great thing. There a plenty of Tongan rugby union players playing all around the world, proving Tonga have the ability to produce professional rugby players. Just got to get the talent in League.

Edited by NRLandSL