TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Latest on the Welsh joke

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Laminated Lobster

Laminated Lobster
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

Link to the latest round of madness:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ers/8407107.stm

Let me guess...

Unlimited salary cap?
Unlimited foreigners?
See them in superleague in 2 years?

#2 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

What a joke, NL 2 sides must be wondering whats going on they fight to get into our division year after year, then we get the RL putting the championship on hold for this madness, what part of it doesnt work dont they understand. I think I am at the point that I dont want to not bother anymore with this once great game of ours.

#3 Mick H

Mick H
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (bigjohn @ Dec 11 2009, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I am at the point that I dont want to not bother anymore with this once great game of ours.

I'm at the very same crossroad myself bigjohn, as are many RL people i speak to, it's like laying a once proud warrior to rest! The way this stuff is being done is a shambles, why not let them fight their way up like everyone else has to. The game is being given away to people who dont deserve it by people who have no pride for the game, its a laughing stock!

#4 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (bigjohn @ Dec 11 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a joke, NL 2 sides must be wondering whats going on they fight to get into our division year after year, then we get the RL putting the championship on hold for this madness, what part of it doesnt work dont they understand. I think I am at the point that I dont want to not bother anymore with this once great game of ours.
Surely its time now that new blood is required at the RL headquarters these in charge now are complete buffoons. Lets get our game back where it belongs into identifiable communities. Expansion hasn't worked for over one hundred years and we still are fixated by it. We are never going to be as popular as footbal or even Rugby Union. Sort out Oldham and Keighley and get to grips what you are paid for that is my opinion.

#5 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

According to this it looks as though the Championship club to be awarded a license for 2012 has already been decided anyway. I've got to the stage where I just don't care any more what they do whether it be Welsh, French or Timbuktu. Steve Oconnor isn't going to say this without some degree of certainty having being directed towards him from the RFL. The whole licensing process is a sham.
http://www.runcornan...55368-25355203/

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 11 December 2009 - 01:04 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#6 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Dec 11 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to this it looks as though the Championship club to be awarded a license for 2012 has already been decided anyway.
Yes Terry and if ever we get a license over the likes of Widnes and Halifax, hell will have frozen over.Im no longer in love with the game of Rugby League. Just in love with FEV.I think that goes for many on this forum and throughout the game in general.

#7 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

yup!

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#8 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Dec 11 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to this it looks as though the Championship club to be awarded a license for 2012 has already been decided anyway. I've got to the stage where I just don't care any more what they do whether it be Welsh, French or Timbuktu. Steve Oconnor isn't going to say this without some degree of certainty having being directed towards him from the RFL. The whole licensing process is a sham.

According to the Yorkshire Post quite a few Championship clubs are in trouble as well as Keighley. I think we have to bother. If we just concentrate on Fev and other clubs go to the wall then we will have no league to play in. It is time I think for all the Championship clubs to combine in an effort to get a better deal. If one isn't forthcoming is it time for another break away? Ok we would have to renegotiate deals with the broadcasters and sponsors for income, but we would at least be our own masters instead of waiting for the breadcrumbs from above.

#9 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Dec 11 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Terry, Just read that article. Nothing concrete in it in fact it sounded like a load of b....s..t and wishful thinking. I don't think he has any more idea that the rest of us. But as I said it is time we spoke in the Championship with one voice.

#10 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 11 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to the Yorkshire Post quite a few Championship clubs are in trouble as well as Keighley. I think we have to bother. If we just concentrate on Fev and other clubs go to the wall then we will have no league to play in. It is time I think for all the Championship clubs to combine in an effort to get a better deal. If one isn't forthcoming is it time for another break away? Ok we would have to renegotiate deals with the broadcasters and sponsors for income, but we would at least be our own masters instead of waiting for the breadcrumbs from above.

Quick Q, how much do the rfl give CC clubs from the Sky Money? Are you confident you could get as much or more from broadcasters?

Edited by bulldog_paddy, 11 December 2009 - 04:10 PM.

#11 FEV-KT87

FEV-KT87
  • Coach
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

Re the Widnes article......whats the phase counting ones chickens???

id be very worried if id just said yer we'r a shoe in for the super league oh but by the way season ticket sales are down so bring a mate biggrin.gif lol

they deserve it more that celtic though
YOU CANT CRUSH PRIDE!!!!

A season dedicated to Gareth John Swift

League winners 2010

#12 Phil Stone

Phil Stone
  • Coach
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

I can't wait to see the gate for the visit of Gateshead. I suppose the BBC could revive an old programme, one man and his dog because there probably won't be too many more than that there and it is in sheep country.
Seriously, weeks away from a new season are they seriously expecting the old Celtic fans to turn out in great numbers to watch this new team (and pay to get in) when this time fastrack to the SL is doubtful?
I don't know what can be done but fans who object to the current RFL expansion policy have to have a voice otherwise our game could well go to the wall, or is that their intention because they are doing a pretty good job at the moment.

#13 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Phil Loxton @ Dec 11 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes Terry and if ever we get a license over the likes of Widnes and Halifax, hell will have frozen over.Im no longer in love with the game of Rugby League. Just in love with FEV.I think that goes for many on this forum and throughout the game in general.

I will drink to that, Phil.

#14 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

When will the RFL come to their senses and realise that the Welsh just aren't interested in Rugby League? Come to that neither are the southerners, just like we in the north aren't interested in Rugby Union. When churches talk about evangelism they are just as aware of the "back door theory" i.e. be sure that you don't lose more regulars out of the back door than newcomers coming in through the front. Soon it will be too late to attract the disillusioned back to the game, we need to hold what we have before seeking to expand to areas that cannot attract any decent support; this only causes embarrasment to our sport.

#15 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (bulldog_paddy @ Dec 11 2009, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick Q, how much do the rfl give CC clubs from the Sky Money? Are you confident you could get as much or more from broadcasters?

Good question. I am not sure , but isn't it 100K. Whatever it is not enough as clubs are creaking. There are only a few solutions: Beg for more, reduce players wages, get more people through the gates or go it ourselves. The last option is the only one that could produce positive result and increase gates. As to what income could be generated, unless we try we dont know, although Championship games shown on the tele have received good support. At the moment the voting system precludes us from making any great impact on the options which are passed by the RL .

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 12 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good question. I am not sure , but isn't it 100K. Whatever it is not enough as clubs are creaking. There are only a few solutions: Beg for more, reduce players wages, get more people through the gates or go it ourselves. The last option is the only one that could produce positive result and increase gates. As to what income could be generated, unless we try we dont know, although Championship games shown on the tele have received good support. At the moment the voting system precludes us from making any great impact on the options which are passed by the RL .

How would breaking away help gates?

If we get 100k per club, that's 2.1 million quid in total for CC clubs. Could we get that kind of brass on our own?

Things are far from roay at the moment, and the stuff that's gone on in Wales is confusing and disappointing, but breaking away would be a disastrous non-starter IMO.

#17 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Dec 12 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would breaking away help gates?

If we get 100k per club, that's 2.1 million quid in total for CC clubs. Could we get that kind of brass on our own?

Things are far from roay at the moment, and the stuff that's gone on in Wales is confusing and disappointing, but breaking away would be a disastrous non-starter IMO.

By breaking away I mean negotiating our own deals and having some autonomy. From what I have read there are quite a few clubs in trouble and nothing is being done about it. If this isn't the answer then what is? As cash flow is everything in any business the only other way is for clubs to cut their cloth according to their income. Perhaps they should all be doing that. The dangling carrot of perhaps a SL place or even promotion to our league may make clubs overspend. That is why a rethink of the whole situation is necessary. Perhaps in view of today's news we should all go to Leeds Carnegie. They seem to have no problem raising funds, kidding of course. What a complete and utter shambles. So called business men do not seem to have a clue on how to conduct themselves when it comes to sport. Whrtever the answer is the status quo wont do.

#18 Mad Mal the Mauler

Mad Mal the Mauler
  • Coach
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 12 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you'll find that the 100K comes with more strings attached than the blokes who pulls Pinochio's strings?
Most of it goes on the salaries of the RFL's required staff at each club? The actual money for a televised game I believe is something in the region 5K? The trouble is the televised games aren't anywhere near fairly allocated amongst the clubs, there needs to be a much larger share of the overall pot of SKY money given to the lower leagues. Let's face it, if SKY hadn't lost the NRL franchise, the Championship would never have had the Thursday night slot. At least SKY now realise that their viewers saw some really competetive games last year with only a couple of mediocre ones, unlike SL who had some shockers!
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward Ive climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of......

John Gillespie Magee Jr. 1922 - 1941

#19 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Mad Mal the Mauler @ Dec 12 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you'll find that the 100K comes with more strings attached than the blokes who pulls Pinochio's strings?
Most of it goes on the salaries of the RFL's required staff at each club? The actual money for a televised game I believe is something in the region 5K? The trouble is the televised games aren't anywhere near fairly allocated amongst the clubs, there needs to be a much larger share of the overall pot of SKY money given to the lower leagues. Let's face it, if SKY hadn't lost the NRL franchise, the Championship would never have had the Thursday night slot. At least SKY now realise that their viewers saw some really competetive games last year with only a couple of mediocre ones, unlike SL who had some shockers!

Agreed- But what's the answer? We are still short of funds so what action should we take? Funds will not be volunteered without some action. So what is it. People spend plenty of time talking about the problem, the answer gets little press. Suggestions NIL.

#20 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (jamescolin @ Dec 12 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed- But what's the answer? We are still short of funds so what action should we take? Funds will not be volunteered without some action. So what is it. People spend plenty of time talking about the problem, the answer gets little press. Suggestions NIL.

Re-introduce P&R. We cannot expect any business man, in his right mind, to plough millions into a championship club knowing that 99% of them have not a snowball in h**l chance of achieving SL status, along with sky publicity and exposure.
Lets face it and be realistic. With the present set up, championship teams have no where to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users