Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SoOGB

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: All Star Game (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Could it happen?

1. Sounds Good (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Would need looking in to (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. No, too many games already (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Could replace Magic Weekend (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Other, Please state... (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Maybe we are missing a trick from our American cousins, instead of a Lancashire v Yorkshire, or GB v Other Nationalities, how about a Mid-Season (No league round) All-Star Game, Reds v Blues, best 34 players, of the last 12 months, being picked by the best coaches of the last 12 months.

We could have Yorkshire based forwards and Lancs/Wales/France based backs v Lancs/Wales/France based Forwards and Yorkshire based backs

Or

British forwards and Foreign backs v Foreign forwards v British Backs.

What else could we do to replace our poor version of Origin that the RFL killed off?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

Yorks V Lancs

Scrap Millenium Magic and the on its ass Challenge Cup and have Yorks V Lancs on stand alone weekends 3 weeks apart from each other.

Cumbrians and Londoners pick one or the other, if they dont want to then they wont play Origin, simple as.

#3 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (The Best The Beautiful The Only @ Jul 5 2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yorks V Lancs

Scrap Millenium Magic and the on its ass Challenge Cup and have Yorks V Lancs on stand alone weekends 3 weeks apart from each other.

Cumbrians and Londoners pick one or the other, if they dont want to then they wont play Origin, simple as.

Yup, that'll really grow the sport outside the heartlands. All us folk in Hampshire would really get behind a Yorks / Lancs thing.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#4 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

I'd go;
- Super League dream team v England (or the best of whats left!) or
- England v Super League Champions, with the Super League champions retaining there English players allowing a few lads down the pecking order a chance to shine.

#5 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

Bring back Yorkshire vs Wankshire

#6 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Jul 5 2010, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, that'll really grow the sport outside the heartlands. All us folk in Hampshire would really get behind a Yorks / Lancs thing.

Tough titties, it's never going to grow outside of the heartlands anyway.
You want to support a regional team then start devloping enough clubs and players in your region to support one.
Fans in Yorks/Lancs shouldn't be denied a origin style match/competition because there isn't a London/Cumbria side to make up the numbers.

Bloody SL dream team/Anzac dream team is ridiculous, there would be no support for them whatsoever at least the majority of RL fans come from Yorks/Lancs and with decent marketing would have a chance of taking off.

#7 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

People in Melbourne seem to have no problem watching SOO. Many people in entirely different countries will also watch SOO. Seeing as England are out of the world cup will no english people watch the remaining games?
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#8 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

City vs Town Origin

City Origin

Hull
Leeds
Bradford
Wakefield
Salford
Liverpool (Graham)
London
Sheffield
etc, etc

Town Origin

Wigan
St Helens
Warrington
Castleford
Huddersfield
Widnes
Leigh
Halifax
etc, etc

I think that would give players the incentive and the fans too! I would watch a match like that.

Imagine a SOO style intro with the players saying their name and where they come from; "James Graham - Liverpool", "Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook - London", "Richie Myler - Widnes", "Kyle Eastmond - Oldham". I can see that would interest fans outside the super league too.

Can't think of why it's not been mooted before?

We've got to forget anything that involves players from other countries, it's got to be British vs British so we can have at least 40 of our top players testing themselves out against each other. Reds vs Blues, East vs West, Probables vs Possibles doesn't do it for me but I'm a proud 'townie' and would love to put one over those 'city slickers'.

Edited by manofthematch, 05 July 2010 - 11:22 PM.

#9 Jeffles

Jeffles
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

The Indigenous v NRL All Stars concept was remarkably successful in Australia this year. A full weekend was dedicated to it, fans got to vote for the composition of the teams and there were several charitable institutions that benefitted from the game. Those ancillary features would be what's needed to help a fixture like this capture the imagination of the public. Put the national team against the International All Stars, made up of the best import, French and Welsh players.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

England v Commonwealth, as has happened way back in the past.

If you're going to bring back Yorks v Lancs then call it East v West. RL fans would know that it was really the two big counties but it would provide a more inclusive spectacle for the outside world.

From a pure playing and selection point of view I would love to see Probables v Possibles, regardless of how many want to watch. One, to see how hungry those on the fringes of the first team squad are and, two, to see how the established team members stand up to the challenge of possibly losing their place.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (manofthematch @ Jul 6 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
City vs Town Origin

City Origin

Hull
Leeds
Bradford
Wakefield
Salford
Liverpool (Graham)
London
Sheffield
etc, etc

Town Origin

Wigan
St Helens
Warrington
Castleford
Huddersfield
Widnes
Leigh
Halifax
etc, etc

I think that would give players the incentive and the fans too! I would watch a match like that.

Imagine a SOO style intro with the players saying their name and where they come from; "James Graham - Liverpool", "Louie McCarthy Scarsbrook - London", "Richie Myler - Widnes", "Kyle Eastmond - Oldham". I can see that would interest fans outside the super league too.

We've got to forget anything that involves players from other countries, it's got to be British vs British so we can have at least 40 of our top players testing themselves out against each other. Reds vs Blues, East vs West, Probables vs Possibles doesn't do it for me but I'm a proud 'townie' and would love to put one over those 'city slickers'.

best idea ive seen posted on here

#12 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (manofthematch @ Jul 6 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
City vs Town Origin

City Origin

Hull
Leeds
Bradford
Wakefield
Salford
Liverpool (Graham)
London
Sheffield
etc, etc

Town Origin

Wigan
St Helens
Warrington
Castleford
Huddersfield
Widnes
Leigh
Halifax
etc, etc

Yes, I liked that idea - would it be where the player was born? Also, places like Castleford and Featherstone are within the City of Wakefield district. wink.gif

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Sorry but it doesn't matter how you dress it up our players don't seem to have the pride, passion or enthusiasm for this kind of match. We've seen it before and we'd see it again and with it would come fan apathy.

Edited by deluded pom?, 06 July 2010 - 05:05 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 bendyas

bendyas
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Year 1. Yorkshire - Lancashire.
Year 2. Winner - Rest of country.
Year 3. Continue

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 6 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but it doesn't matter how you dress it up our players don't seem to have the pride,passion or enthusiasm for this kind of match. We've seen it before and we'd see it again and with it would come fan apathy.

There is that. sad.gif

#16 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Jul 6 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I liked that idea - would it be where the player was born? Also, places like Castleford and Featherstone are within the City of Wakefield district. wink.gif

Origin; the place from where someone comes. wink.gif

Castleford and Fev are towns in their own right, yes they may be in the metropolitan borough of Wakefield but we're talking 'roots' here just as Leigh is not really 'in' Wigan. Players representing their town or city of birth is surely something to be proud of and as a Widnesian I'd be more than interested seeing Richie (if selected) representing our town just as the Oldham folk would be of Sinfield and Eastmond.

As for probs vs possibles, not interested, who would you shout for? and the east/west thing where do you draw the line? (don't say the pennines, means nothing in Wales or down south) For me there already is a town vs city rivalry and I think it would bring out a bit of ferocity in such an encounter.

Edited by manofthematch, 06 July 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#17 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 6 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but it doesn't matter how you dress it up our players don't seem to have the pride, passion or enthusiasm for this kind of match. We've seen it before and we'd see it again and with it would come fan apathy.

Here we go, let's throw cold water on the idea then, might as well take me bloody ball home! biggrin.gif

Edited by manofthematch, 06 July 2010 - 11:31 PM.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:05 AM

Yorkshire, Lancs, Cumbria and an All Stars XIII (which could be made up of the other counties, plus overseas players to make them competitive).

Why not have a draw for the two semis and then have a double header for the finals and 3rd v 4th.

#19 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

So what. It's got nothing to do with you.

I personally don't give a rats ###### about NSW or Queensland. Do you think the Australians should abandon State of Origin because I don't have a team to support.

That's me.  I'm done.

#20 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

you have somethign fans can get behind and on a constant basis rather than their favroutie player plays for the team that year and thent he next is in the other side (probables v possibles style)

Yorks v Lacs IMO doesnt work that well becuase of cumbria, wales and london and the hope to grow the sport..

i like the town and country idea..

i also like the idea of a heartlands vs expansion.. its the biggest grudge we have at the moment .. heartlands = any player born in a corridor designed by taking the original clubs in 1895 and drawing a line through them with a 3 mile radius around the line or something like that anyway (someone with more time can work out the best way of splitting it, maybe 5 miles or an average line drawn from one end to the other with the clubs furthers north ad south of the line being the boundaries etc... but you get the general gist)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users