TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Mine's bigger than yours!

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 10 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By Padge so that means it IS a derby.

No, not by me. On TV I have often heard that game refered to as the big North West derby game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#62 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

What is the biggest club nearest to Wigan? I rest my case.
SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#63 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 10 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, not by me. On TV I have often heard that game refered to as the big North West derby game.

Ah! So we now cover the whole of the North West in our attempts to include tenuous matches as derbies. So is Oldham v Widnes a derby? Or Rochdale v Warrington?

rldfsignature.jpg

#64 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Native New Yorker @ Jul 10 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is the biggest club nearest to Wigan? I rest my case.

So if there were a small cub nearer than St Helens to Wigan i.e. Leigh for example (please forgive me if St Helens is closer than Leigh as I'm not an expert on NW geography) then they wouldn't count because they aren't big enough! huh.gif

rldfsignature.jpg

#65 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 10 2010, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah! So we now cover the whole of the North West in our attempts to include tenuous matches as derbies. So is Oldham v Widnes a derby? Or Rochdale v Warrington?

Go back and read what I posted properly. When you have mastered the English language get back to me. biggrin.gif

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#66 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 10 2010, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think you can equate football derbies with RL. The point is that a local derby is normally the team that is geographically closest to you in the same league.
SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#67 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Wigansnapper89 @ Jul 8 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has to be Wigan vs Saints people who think FC vs Kr is bigger, its just not. Biggest crowd in the stadium and at home and i would think by a fer distance

As a neutral i'd say at the present time based on crowd size alone there's no competition, hull v hull kr without a shadow of doubt. Wigans stadium and the KC hold roughly the same amount the big difference is that the KC will be packed to the rafters on thursday night while wigan saints was 4-5000 below capacity the other week. As for history and intensity of rivalry there's not much between both games but the hull derby gets it for me on numbers alone.

#68 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

ive attended

1. hull fc vs kr at the kc
2. wigan vs saints at jjb
3. bradford vs leeds at odsal

the hull derby was the best

the 2nd best experience ive had at a RL game

#69 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 11 2010, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive attended

1. hull fc vs kr at the kc
2. wigan vs saints at jjb
3. bradford vs leeds at odsal

the hull derby was the best

the 2nd best experience ive had at a RL game

Kingston upon hull tourist board need you Dally. rolleyes.gif
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#70 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Native New Yorker @ Jul 10 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think you can equate football derbies with RL. The point is that a local derby is normally the team that is geographically closest to you in the same league.

What about the cup?
And who will be Leeds U's derby with next season? Huddersfield? Sheff U? Barnsley? Hull City? Doncaster? Middlesborough perhaps. All in the same "area" i.e. Yorkshire. Bradford City are closest but not in the same League - Farsley Celtic are even closer and in the same city.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#71 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 11 2010, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about the cup?
And who will be Leeds U's derby with next season? Huddersfield? Sheff U? Barnsley? Hull City? Doncaster? Middlesborough perhaps. All in the same "area" i.e. Yorkshire. Bradford City are closest but not in the same League - Farsley Celtic are even closer and in the same city.

It's not compulsary to have a derby game. rolleyes.gif

#72 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

The only way that Wigan vs Saints could be classed as a Derby game is if they played it at Pride Park.... tongue.gif

Seriously though, Hull vs Hull KR is the epitome of a derby, as is Sheff Utd vs Sheff Wed, Liverpool vs Everton, Bristol R****s vs Bristol City, etc, etc..

But I think you can lend the phrase to games like pies-skints because of the size of the game, their reasonably ( rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif ) close proximity and the feelings between the two sets of fans....(not that they ever surface on here, obviously.)

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#73 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (fieldofclothofgold @ Jul 11 2010, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kingston upon hull tourist board need you Dally. rolleyes.gif

hulls a nice place.

much nicer than many other northern rl towns i visited

leeds wasnt bad too, especially the bits ne showed me ie a bar

#74 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 11 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not compulsary to have a derby game. rolleyes.gif

OK who will be described as Leeds U's derby game

#75 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 11 2010, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK who will be described as Leeds U's derby game

Why should I care, I couldn't give a toss.

For some bizarre reason people won't believe what the dictionary tells them, a derby game is not defined as a game between two teams from the same city.

The OED says d. Applied to any kind of important sporting contest

#76 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 11 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why should I care, I couldn't give a toss.

For some bizarre reason people won't believe what the dictionary tells them, a derby game is not defined as a game between two teams from the same city.

The OED says d. Applied to any kind of important sporting contest

You should give a toss because according to your posts on this thread a "derby" is what you say it is. (no change there then) wink.gif

#77 Vengeance

Vengeance
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

For sheer venom between the two sets of players and supporters, both inside the ground and out, I dont reckon any Saints/Wigan or FC/Rovers comes even close to a Widnes/Dire, having attended all of the above.

#78 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 11 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hulls a nice place.

much nicer than many other northern rl towns i visited

leeds wasnt bad too, especially the bits ne showed me ie a bar

ok dally,but when you described the hull v hull kr crowd at wembley being largest derby crowd , that was the rl cup final played in london the wembley occasion when all the rl family congregate.
the elland road championship final at elland road hunslet v leeds 1938 was played within the city by two very partisan rival clubs from the same city and 90% of the demand for tickets which forced the game to be switched from belle vue came from the city 54000 largest derby crowd
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#79 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Vengeance @ Jul 11 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For sheer venom between the two sets of players and supporters, both inside the ground and out, I dont reckon any Saints/Wigan or FC/Rovers comes even close to a Widnes/Dire, having attended all of the above.

I don't think a game that draws out the dickheads from each club is something to be proud of or look forward to tbh.

It is the only game where I change my parking arrangements as the train station is packed with animals, and I don't fancy walking past there to get my car after the game.

#80 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Vengeance @ Jul 11 2010, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've obviously never been to a Fev/Cas game dry.gif Most Fev fans won't even type the word "Cas" on their posts on this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users