Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

SOLD OUT

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 20 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair, these people/companies have paid for the tickets, if they want to decide at the last minute, then they are well within their rights to.

I suppose so, but could there be a system where those who know they are definitely not attending can notify Wembley, so their seats can be made available.

Maybe it's too much fuss to organise, but the empty blocks of seats at every Wembley event is an annoyance.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#42 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Aug 20 2010, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

Generalising that an RU crowd (you don't specify where so it looks like you're talking about the whole game) is mainly or disproportionately corporate and full bandwagon jumpers. Thats why.

The point I made had nothing to do with codes of football or any other sport in fact.
It was about supporters who only bother with big games and yes this can be rugby league, cricket, rugby union, soccer.

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 20 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 17k Club Wembley tickets have been paid for over the first 10 years, after which I believe that middle tier will go on general sale. So effectivly even if no-one turned up, the crowd would be 17k

Therefore it should be posted as 90k attendance. This is exctly what Union must do

That puts something of a different slant on Wasps' 40k attendances for their Wembley showcase matches, no? Take away the 17,000 and you have a much less reportable figure. laugh.gif

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (JWAD @ Aug 20 2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Generalising that an RU crowd (you don't specify where so it looks like you're talking about the whole game) is mainly or disproportionately corporate and full bandwagon jumpers. Thats why.

The point I made had nothing to do with codes of football or any other sport in fact.
It was about supporters who only bother with big games and yes this can be rugby league, cricket, rugby union, soccer.

Was this your caucasian moment.

#45 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 20 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spot on. These tickets/sponsorship helped to co-fund Wembley
The 17k Club Wembley tickets have been paid for over the first 10 years, after which I believe that middle tier will go on general sale. So effectivly even if no-one turned up, the crowd would be 17k

Therefore it should be posted as 90k attendance. This is exctly what Union must do

"Union" can't do that. Nobody is permitted to in fact for reasons of insurance and health & safety guidelines.
In a modern stadium, the numbers are calculated in real-time as each ticket is scanned at entry points.
The official figure (not a rounded-off figure you might see in a news article) will be an actual number of tickets scanned.

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,669 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

compare and contrast

#47 Mike53

Mike53
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

I will be there courtesy of a corporate - and although counting myself a Wire fan, I've only seen them live twice in the last two seasons - last year at Wembley and last year in Barcelona. Does that mean I'll enjoy the game any less than somebody who goes to HJ 20 times a season - absolutley not! And despite being only a very occasional attendee does it stop me promoting TGG at every single opportunity to the ignorant sporting fans here in the Midlands - hell no biggrin.gif But I may wave my prawn sandwich in your general direction.....

#48 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (JWAD @ Aug 20 2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the thread had been about big games, so my comment was focused on these - I thought that would have been obvious, but I apologise if not.

I agree with Dave T's point about glory supporters coming out - it happens from every club in every sport and will never change.

My comments related to the other 'half' of the crowd. In rugby this is mostly made up of fans of other clubs who come to the big occasion, no matter who's playing. In union, a much higher proportion of the extras are guests corporates.

I'm not actually criticising either code for this - one suggests a stronger community within the game and the other makes much, much more money. I know which I'm happier liking, but I accept that doesn't pay the bills.
People called Romans they go the house

#49 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Ooops

Edited by MrPosh, 20 August 2010 - 02:26 PM.

People called Romans they go the house

#50 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,164 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Futtocks @ Aug 20 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose so, but could there be a system where those who know they are definitely not attending can notify Wembley, so their seats can be made available.

Maybe it's too much fuss to organise, but the empty blocks of seats at every Wembley event is an annoyance.
I believe that can and does happen, and I agree that it is frustrating, especially when thousands of fans have had to sit up in the Gods because these prime seats aren't being used.

#51 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (JWAD @ Aug 20 2010, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Union" can't do that. Nobody is permitted to in fact for reasons of insurance and health & safety guidelines.
In a modern stadium, the numbers are calculated in real-time as each ticket is scanned at entry points.
The official figure (not a rounded-off figure you might see in a news article) will be an actual number of tickets scanned.

Not sure if the 17k thing applies to anything other than the stipulated events at Wembley of which the CC is one

#52 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 20 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that can and does happen, and I agree that it is frustrating, especially when thousands of fans have had to sit up in the Gods because these prime seats aren't being used.

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif Thats me, sat up in the Gods sad.gif sad.gif

Just Hope Club Wembley is full mad.gif

#53 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 20 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be another great option - the opportunity to upgrade your seat to the CW block (for a small premium) on the day, when it's obvious how many Club members have taken their seat.

#54 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Futtocks @ Aug 20 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be another great option - the opportunity to upgrade your seat to the CW block (for a small premium) on the day, when it's obvious how many Club members have taken their seat.

Although a good idea it would probably be a large premium as Club Wembley is more than just a better seat isn't it? In reality it is probably not very practical.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#55 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

I would like to see the 'bonus profit' generated from the sell out,to be split with the Championship 1 Clubs who need the money,rather than a few thousand 'extra' to the SL Clubs,where a couple of thousand will make little difference.

#56 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,164 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Odsal Outlaw @ Aug 20 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although a good idea it would probably be a large premium as Club Wembley is more than just a better seat isn't it? In reality it is probably not very practical.

You can get them priced relatively reasonably on ebay (or you certainly could in previous years). I think you just get access to a couple of nicer bars and toilets and maybe a free programme.

Maybe they have different levels...

#57 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 20 2010, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can get them priced relatively reasonably on ebay (or you certainly could in previous years). I think you just get access to a couple of nicer bars and toilets and maybe a free programme.

Maybe they have different levels...

Dave your right, just been on Ebay

see link :- http://cgi.ebay.co.u...s-/190431562314

Cheap as chips at the mo..

#58 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (JWAD @ Aug 20 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thoughts? Where are all these spectators during the rest of the season?

The most hypocritical comment ever posted on this board.

This is my 34th (I think) final. I've never seen my team play in the final or a semi-final. Its the RL family's big day out in the big city. Its a pity you can't quite grasp that.

#59 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (shaun mc @ Aug 21 2010, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The most hypocritical comment ever posted on this board.

This is my 34th (I think) final. I've never seen my team play in the final or a semi-final. Its the RL family's big day out in the big city. Its a pity you can't quite grasp that.

Everyone knows it is the big RL day out, or northern invasion of London as it is refered to by my colleagues. The point that was being made is that Leeds and Wire will likely bring 25k each, so if Wire for example average 11k of home fans a week, it is where is the extra 14k of fans week in week out that will come to support them at wembley?

For me, what this suggests is these people like an 'event' so if more wire games become events they will attend more games.

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,164 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (XIII @ Aug 21 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone knows it is the big RL day out, or northern invasion of London as it is refered to by my colleagues. The point that was being made is that Leeds and Wire will likely bring 25k each, so if Wire for example average 11k of home fans a week, it is where is the extra 14k of fans week in week out that will come to support them at wembley?

For me, what this suggests is these people like an 'event' so if more wire games become events they will attend more games.

No, it suggests that any final anywhere in the world is more attractive than a bog-standard game.

Cup finals are events that get the whole towns involved and always have been. People use the term glory-hunters, and that's up to them, but I don't necessarily agree. We are going in a group of 12 this year, and probably only 2 or 3 of us could be classed as regulars (I don't attend regularly but my Season Ticket does!). People bring their wives, husbands, kids etc who wouldn't normally attend.

There is no surprise, and 25k fans at Wembley will never ever equate to 25k at a regular home game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users