Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Good and bad things about the 2010 Challenge Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

Good

Wire's performance - Best of any team I have seen in SL in 2010, even tops Wigan on Good Friday.
Atmosphere - A lot beter than in 2009, this really felt like a major sports event with two big teams.
Steve Prescott - Thought it was a bit of a low key appointment but you could tell to him and the players the mutual respect was great. A masterstroke from RFL HQ.
BBC Presentation - Good saw it on playback just and was a vast improvement on last few years and in HD was even better.

Bad

The match as a contest - As a Wire fan I wanted us to win but the game, but not so easy! biggrin.gif
The kit clash - I warned the RFL this was a mistake and was hard to tell the yellow of leeds from the p&b of Wire!
Leeds fans - The lot we met were sound and yet the vast majority left 15 mins before the end! Worse than Wiganer's!!!!
Club Wembley - The Red Ring was an embarrasement again, needs sorting for future RL finals.
Food and Drink at Wembley - Rip off, 4.30 a pint and they ran out just at half time!!!

What was your good and bad things about the 2010 Challenge Cup Final?

#2 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

Good things - Leeds lost.

Bad things - Warrington won.

There you have it in a nutshell.

#3 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:58 PM

The good thing was we made the final, the bad thing was i unfortunately went to watch it rolleyes.gif . To be honest i enjoyed everything about the day apart from the match. I thought the atmosphere inside and outside the ground was brilliant and didn't bother with overpriced pubs and instead filled up at the numerous offies near the ground with cold tinnies. The stadium itself is spot on and tickets were reasonably priced compared to a football final i've been to there. No complaints from me apart from the 80 minutes where our team disappeared.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 29 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 29 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can tell Wire have arrived as a big club because rival fans actually want us to lose. Years ago that would not be the case.

Aside from the result what else did you like/dislike about Wembley?

#6 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 29 2010, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The kit clash - I warned the RFL this was a mistake and was hard to tell the yellow of leeds from the p&b of Wire!

Was that by phone, fax, email or at your weekly one2one with Dicky Lewis? biggrin.gif
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#7 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 29 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can tell Wire have arrived as a big club because rival fans actually want us to lose. Years ago that would not be the case.

I disagree.

I've always been happy for you to lose.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Jill Halfpenny fan @ Aug 29 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree.

I've always been happy for you to lose.

I've disliked Wire ever since Murphy screwed us in 1974. TBH I was delighted when they lost to Widnes the folllowing year. I loved it when Lydon dropped the long distance goal at Maine Road too. There's no doubt they were the best side yesterday, but I thought the Giants were robbed last season.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 30 2010, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've disliked Wire ever since Murphy screwed us in 1974. TBH I was delighted when they lost to Widnes the folllowing year. I loved it when Lydon dropped the long distance goal at Maine Road too. There's no doubt they were the best side yesterday, but I thought the Giants were robbed last season.

Damn that Jack, his beans, at that feckin big plant he grew.... rolleyes.gif

BTW, 74, Murphy did pull a trick or 2, I've watched a tape since I grew up (honest, I have...) and we certainly played the ref as well as Fev.
1 try a side v Widnes, discipline cost us, and THAT dg was a real gut kicker.
But been discussed loads of times before, however, if you want a definition of "gamebreaking moment", that's the clincher.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#10 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

I think it will be remembered as a poor final. Taking nothing away from Wire who were excellent (as much as it pains me to say), Leeds were dreadful and should have lost by more. It meant the game was effectively over as a contest and it always required a massive turn around from Leeds.

It's a shame because it started well with high intensity and the crowd came across really well on TV.

The kit clash was just plain silly. I was following Twitter throughout and most people were commenting on the same team playing each other. The RFL needs some common sense and Leeds need to recognise what an away kit is supposed to do.

#11 Joe Shep

Joe Shep
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 30 2010, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leeds need to recognise what an away kit is supposed to do.

To be fair, Leeds' away kit is massively different from their home kit. It just happened that Warrington's home kit this season clashes with both.

#12 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

poor game

leeds were useless and wire were just better than average

shame for such a large crowd in a great stadium to get such a poor quality game of RL.

#13 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Joe Shep @ Aug 30 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair, Leeds' away kit is massively different from their home kit. It just happened that Warrington's home kit this season clashes with both.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If 2 kits are so different how can they both clash with one kit?

There's an easy way to stop them clashing. Have them as different colours like most clubs would have.

#14 Joe Shep

Joe Shep
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 30 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That makes no sense whatsoever. If 2 kits are so different how can they both clash with one kit?

Quite easily - Warrington have alot of blue and yellow on their home shirt. Leeds have a predominantly blue home shirt, and a predominantly yellow away shirt, so they both clash with Warrington's home shirt. But to say that Leeds' home and away kits clash with each other would be ludicrous.

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 30 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's an easy way to stop them clashing. Have them as different colours like most clubs would have.

Say for example Leeds decide to have a predominantly red away kit one year, but then for that season Wakefield's home kit is red and blue. Leeds' blue home kit and red away kit would both clash with Wakefield's home shirt. Sometimes it just happens that way. The sensible thing would've been to have Warrington wear red and green or force Leeds to use a different colour for the final. But you can hardly blame Leeds when they were designing their kits at the start of the year for not accounting for what Warrington may or may not wear.

#15 widnesvikings

widnesvikings
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Warrington didn't let Leeds play, and thoroughly deserved the win, they are a very good team and could be a big match team for a good few years, although they are my teams biggest rivals, I can honestly say they have waited a long time for this era and good luck to them. and Wendell if you read this well done mate you stuck with them since childhood. you watched my team destroy everyone for years. its great to have a successful team and you deserve all the success coming to your fans. i know tons of long term wire fans and though i love the banter with them, you cant deny them the 2 challenge cup wins thoroughly deserved and enjoy it wire fans. Widnes til i die biggrin.gif.maybe we might get the chance in a few years to kick your teams arses one again wink.gif

Edited by widnesvikings, 30 August 2010 - 11:23 AM.

Posted Image
WIDNES VIKINGS CHESHIRES MOST FAMOUS RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB

#16 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Joe Shep @ Aug 30 2010, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Warrington's home kit is primrose and blue - the away kit is green and red.

Leeds' home kit is blue and amber - the away kit is amber and blue. Yeah, that's massively different isn't it!!!

#17 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (widnesvikings @ Aug 30 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warrington didn't let Leeds play, and thoroughly deserved the win, they are a very good team and could be a big match team for a good few years, although they are my teams biggest rivals, I can honestly say they have waited a long time for this era and good luck to them. and Wendell if you read this well done mate you stuck with them since childhood. you watched my team destroy everyone for years. its great to have a successful team and you deserve all the success coming to your fans. i know tons of long term wire fans and though i love the banter with them, you cant deny them the 2 challenge cup wins thoroughly deserved and enjoy it wire fans. Widnes til i die biggrin.gif.maybe we might get the chance in a few years to kick your teams arses one again wink.gif

Nice post and thanks. biggrin.gif

Wendall goes OTT, but he is harmless. wink.gif

Thanks again, a very proud and happy wire. biggrin.gif

#18 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,708 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Joe Shep @ Aug 30 2010, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite easily - Warrington have alot of blue and yellow on their home shirt. Leeds have a predominantly blue home shirt, and a predominantly yellow away shirt, so they both clash with Warrington's home shirt. But to say that Leeds' home and away kits clash with each other would be ludicrous.

Say for example Leeds decide to have a predominantly red away kit one year, but then for that season Wakefield's home kit is red and blue. Leeds' blue home kit and red away kit would both clash with Wakefield's home shirt. Sometimes it just happens that way. The sensible thing would've been to have Warrington wear red and green or force Leeds to use a different colour for the final. But you can hardly blame Leeds when they were designing their kits at the start of the year for not accounting for what Warrington may or may not wear.

I think we all agree that Warrington should have wore their away kits. However Leeds didn't help matters. Their home and away kits are the same colours but in different amounts. When they play a side that has the same colours it is going to produce a clash no matter what.

The Wakefield example isn't perfectly analogous because their kit is predominantly white with both of those colours and Leeds would at least have some different colours in their kit. Most clubs seem to manage having away kits that include some different colours at least. Leeds go from a kit that is 75/25 blue to amber to one that is 85/15 amber to blue.

The worst thing is if all clubs in Super League wore their home shirts unless there was a clash then Leeds would only need to swap their kit for the away leg at Warrington. So in effect their away shirt totally fails at the job it was originally designed for.

#19 Joe Shep

Joe Shep
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 30 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leeds' home kit is blue and amber - the away kit is amber and blue. Yeah, that's massively different isn't it!!!

Mate, if you don't think that these shirts look massively different then you need your eyes testing! Are you seriously implying you could confuse the two?

#20 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 30 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Judging by Leeds' performance, it should've been a blue shirt with a yellow stripe right down the back. Didn't compete at all and all Ryan Bailey had was an armoury of cheap shots - right to the final tackle of the game.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users