Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St. Helens

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

Poll: Grand Final: Wigan Warriors v St. Helens (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan (27 votes [58.70%])

Percentage of vote: 58.70%

2. St Helens (19 votes [41.30%])

Percentage of vote: 41.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Sep 30 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Sofa anyway, only way I can catch some sleep because of giwildgo jnr.

Bless.

I don't miss them sleepless nights.

Enjoy Saturday.

#42 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

I think the Eastmond decision is a blessing in disguise. Don't get me wrong a fully fit eastmond would be one of the first names on the team sheet. But this Eastmond has been out for 3 months, playing only matches in that time and each time leaving the field after injury in the first half.

Even if he was healthy and unijured, it does not mean he is at the pace and fitness needed for a GF. And as his speed of foot is his main attribute it would be another gamble. I don't think in a GF you can do what Saints did in the semi and carry a player.

All 17 have to be able to contribute.

Lomax will perform just fine. For me the half backs are not the worry, it's the meli conundrum. Outstanding in attack, lethal in defense (lethal for Saints).

I'd play him at centre in defence every time. But the question is, do you play gardner outside him who is also dodgy at times under the high ball. (but much better when men run at him).

If I had to pick the team I'd gamble and say yes.

This would be my pick

1. Paul Wellens,
2. Ade Gardner, 5. Francis Meli,
30. Jamie Foster, 3. Matt Gidley,
24. Jonny Lomax, 34. Matty Smith.

15. Bryn Hargreaves, 9. Keiron Cunningham, 10. James Graham,
4. Sia Soliola, 11. Tony Puletua,
13. Chris Flannery,

12. Jon Wilkin, 14. James Roby, 17. Paul Clough, 18. Matty Ashurst,

Although dixon and emitt could replace ashurst if he's not match fit.

It gives us a very strong pack for the opening of the game, with some speed to come on from the bench. Clough will be fine to interchange with Hargreaves and I think after the opening, when wilkin or ashurst comes on. Puletua would move up to make a 4th prop.

You could start with puletua on the bench, but Potter has not favoured doing that. I think there is enough rotation in the pack to be able to move people about. Especially if we need to defend solidly.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#43 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:46 PM

Also for an opening gambit, on Saints first set of 6 how about, 2nd tackle Graham runs the ball at Deacon, 3rd tackle Puletua runs ball at deacon, 4th tackle Soliola runs ball at deacon, 5th tackle a scoot from Cunningham at deacon.

Deacon looked like a weak link in the line during the Leeds match and I think a few big fella's taking it to him in the opening half will tired those old legs and either go through him or make his kicking for territory less effective.

Also we surely must take a leaf out of the Leeds tactics and when we are kicking from deep make sure Tomkins has to chase the ball on the ground not give him easy catches to run the ball back 20 meters.

I think Leeds had a good game plan but just lacked the ability on that day to take scores from their field position and possession.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

#44 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

I think that if Saints are to win they have dominate in the forwards. With the pack we have I think we're well capable of doing so.
The first twenty mins are not going to be for the faint-hearted. I want to see Soliola and Puluetua maximise their time on the pitch. Both have been immense in the last few games and I can see Saints benefitting not just on Saturday but into next season too,from their second row partnership.

We can always rely on James Graham and Roby to play their usual solid games,and I'm sure KC will be looking to give us Saints fans one last performance to remember him for.

I'm not over confident about winning on Saturday, but the bookies making Wigan favourites means nothing. The Saints/Wigan Murrayfield CC Final is proof enough of that. We managed to mess up the 2nd GF v Leeds when Brent Webb was injured, which made us hot favourites in that one too IIRC.

As Saturday draws ever closer the old stomach is starting to tighten and tension is starting to build. From my seat up in the gods of the North Stand N440-something or other (I'm taking binoculars) I will be shouting for my team, whether anyone will hear me from up there is anyone's guess.

Saints v Wigan the biggest derby in RL in a Grand Final. Pryceless !!

#45 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

It may seam that I'm being a bit silly with the opening gambit. But I believe that you have to be able to do something different.

I think a short kickoff or an attempt to kick to touch, or even an immediate kick return are valid to try in the opening minutes. If you're going to play a grand final should you play percentages or try to push the play and take a few risks.

#46 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Sep 30 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may seam that I'm being a bit silly with the opening gambit. But I believe that you have to be able to do something different.

I think a short kickoff or an attempt to kick to touch, or even an immediate kick return are valid to try in the opening minutes. If you're going to play a grand final should you play percentages or try to push the play and take a few risks.

I think it's all about knowing when to take the risks and when to play the percentages, personally i wouldn't want to see my team take any huge risks in the first few sets as if they don't come off (a short kick off for instance) your under preasure from the off. Hard along the ground for touch where the ball can make a mug of somone is a good option, I'm amazed teams don't try it more often.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#47 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

Going for St Helens to win this one, on the back of the Cunningham factor alone.

Now some may say it's ridiculous of myself to even suggest that Cunningham retiring from the game after a great playing career with St Helens is a big enough factor for St Helens to win the game.

But I just have a sneaking feeling that Mr Cunningham and St Helens will finish the season on a high come 19:45 on Saturday night.

Wigan are slight favourites with the bookies and after the season they've had, in winning the Floodlit 9's, finishing top and not to mention the clean sweep of awards at the Man Of Steel awards ceremony it's hard not to see why.

It's going to be a tough ask for St Helens to produce the goods (minus two of their main gamebreakers in Pryce and Eastmond) and stop a possible fourth consecutive Grand Final loss.

Wigan's defence last weekend at Headingley was a joy to watch, I've never seen anything as formiddable in all my years of watching the greatest game.

The way the scrambling defence closed those half gaps and shut out wave after wave of Leeds attacking play was fantastic and breathtaking.

One of the hardest Grand Finals to call IMO and the two Super League results don't give anything away.

I'll call a Wigan Warriors 18-22 St Helens result.

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,150 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Sep 30 2010, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the Eastmond decision is a blessing in disguise. Don't get me wrong a fully fit eastmond would be one of the first names on the team sheet. But this Eastmond has been out for 3 months, playing only matches in that time and each time leaving the field after injury in the first half.

Even if he was healthy and unijured, it does not mean he is at the pace and fitness needed for a GF. And as his speed of foot is his main attribute it would be another gamble. I don't think in a GF you can do what Saints did in the semi and carry a player.

Couldn't agree more. Whilst he is a great talent, sometimes you just have to write off these players and accept they are not playing and move on. If he was in there, there would be an issue as to how long he would last.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when Long was brought back for the final after injury and he was way off it?

I also agree with your comments about taking the game to Wigan early on and trying some daring stuff, although that's how I like the game to be played anyway!

Both teams are capable of winning a wrestle, but also both are capable of blowing the other away. This could be a brilliant final.

#49 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:28 PM

Either way, I'm actually looking forward to a Grand Final for the first time in a while!

#50 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

Not yet sold out.

It isn't like either had a Cup final a few weeks ago, tight fisted Lancashire buggers! wink.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#51 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Wigan by a pondfull

This Sts side going on about unbeaten in 8, played nowt

no stand off, no scrum half,

Wigan to stride right over the buggers by 30

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#52 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Oct 1 2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not yet sold out.

It isn't like either had a Cup final a few weeks ago, tight fisted Lancashire buggers! wink.gif

Please concentrate those derogatry comments here

biggrin.gif

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#53 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Riversiderontour @ Oct 1 2010, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wigan by a pondfull

This Sts side going on about unbeaten in 8, played nowt

no stand off, no scrum half,

Wigan to stride right over the buggers by 30

And this post to be quoted many times after the game if they don't. tongue.gif

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#54 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Oct 1 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And this post to be quoted many times after the game if they don't. tongue.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

cmon I can be positive before hand!

right after we get our collective arses handed to us on a plate I may not be so chipper!

Edited by Riversiderontour, 01 October 2010 - 08:36 PM.

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#55 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Riversiderontour @ Oct 1 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

cmon I can be positive before hand!

right after we get our collective arses handed to us on a plate I may not be so chipper!

If it helps, I'm sure you'll win.

Maybe...

#56 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (steef @ Oct 1 2010, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's all about knowing when to take the risks and when to play the percentages, personally i wouldn't want to see my team take any huge risks in the first few sets as if they don't come off (a short kick off for instance) your under preasure from the off. Hard along the ground for touch where the ball can make a mug of somone is a good option, I'm amazed teams don't try it more often.

I understand the hesitation to put pressure on your own side at the start. But for me when it's 0 - 0 with 80 minutes to go you can take a bit of pressure. When you're 2 tries down and chasing the game, that when you're already under pressure and taking risks just looks like desparation. I'd much rather take a risk in their half than have to throw it about in our own.

Besides, makes it a little more interesting.

#57 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

On Engage SL website it says last few hundred tickets remain on sale.....

#58 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:59 AM

Well its final day.... nerves, excitement and can we / can't we!!!!

Best of luck to Wigan / Saints and enjoy your day.

Wish i was there, but we're not good enough.............. maybe one day

Best Wishes

Paul

#59 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Oct 2 2010, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well its final day.... nerves, excitement and can we / can't we!!!!

Best of luck to Wigan / Saints and enjoy your day.

Wish i was there, but we're not good enough.............. maybe one day

Best Wishes

Paul

I'd like to reiterate Paul's comments above. Best of luck to both sets of fans on the forum.

This game is the culmination of my first 'proper' season as a RL fan. Right from the first game (and my first game of RL ever) in Wrexham, I've enjoyed every single game I've watched - and I've watched every live game much to my wife's indignation. It's been a brilliant season. This truly is a wonderful game. I can't think of any other sport where I feel such an overwhelming sense of admiration for the athletes taking the field. To paraphrase Nobby: RL players belong to the Warrior Race!

Let the battle for the GF begin. I'm not going to offer a prediction because I think the script for this game has been written beforehand: KC - the Welsh International - will score the last try from a metre out and win the game for the Saints! Wigan need to tear up that script before they walk onto the pitch...

#60 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Woohoo...not only is it GF day its also DERBY DAY biggrin.gif

Getting very excited / anxious now. Being picked up at 2.50.....bring it on

May the best team win.
Whatever happens given that before the start of the season I didnt expect much so to finish 2nd & be in the GF is massive. Well done boys

COME ON YOU SAINTS....lets do it for Keiron

Edited by saintsbird, 02 October 2010 - 07:56 AM.

Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT