Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#101 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Would be interesting to know what metrics the RFL will use to prove that the
sponsorship has been a success or that its been value for "money"

The issue with this kind of marketing is that it is traditionally difficult to monitor direct results. It is why I would like to see more targeted online advertising to complement this campaign.

I suppose there could be some research done to test brand awareness, but in terms of direct sales of tickets, or an increase in Sky viewing figures it is difficult.

That's not to say it isn't valuable though.

My main issue with the RFL in recent years has been that much of their promotion has been to their existing fanbase, which to company with a limited marketing budget makes sense, as you get a better return, but now may be the time to extend our targeting and it would be good to see websites featuring banners mirroring the trucks. That said, this is a very expensive media, and it would be smart to use this at times like the build uop to magic, CC and Playoffs later rounds.

This is one of the first steps into mass advertising, and for me it needs to be backed up with something different rather than advertising on the RL Group websites only.

#102 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Had a run up to Middlesborough today and spotted three: Hull FC, Warrington & one I couldn't make out due a)speed & B) shock.

All were on the M62 between Rochdale & Huddersfield. Saw plenty of other Stobbies in either normal livery or plain blue (possibly waiting to be done up for Tesco).

Bit disappointed to only spot them on the 62, but its marketing nonetheless.

Edited by Gerri Monside, 22 February 2012 - 05:13 PM.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#103 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Widnes on M65 this morning - looked impressive

#104 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

I go up and down the M1 from Leicester to Northampton everyday and I see Stobart trucks all the time. I nearly crashed a couple of times trying to spot one with anything remotely RL on it. To date I've seen nothing. I'm not sure of the value of this sponsorship if it's not going to be truly nationwide. I've not read all the other posts so maybe people have spotted them all over the place, but I certainly haven't.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#105 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

I go up and down the M1 from Leicester to Northampton everyday and I see Stobart trucks all the time. I nearly crashed a couple of times trying to spot one with anything remotely RL on it. To date I've seen nothing. I'm not sure of the value of this sponsorship if it's not going to be truly nationwide. I've not read all the other posts so maybe people have spotted them all over the place, but I certainly haven't.

So far on this thread:

Liverpool/Manchester section of the M62 - Huddersfield and Salford
Sam Tomkins heading south on the A1 in Nottinghamshire
M25 near Heathrow, Cas tigers
saw one on the way back from Briz (Bristol) yesterday, which was the Cas Lorry.
two on Friday, M62 West Bound nr Birchwood (Warrington)
M60 at the Prestwich junction - that was promoting Hull FC
a Widnes lorry. It was heading westbound as I was heading east on the M62 just on the Pennine border
junction 18-19 I saw a St Helens lorry on the M62, a Bradford lorry followed barely 2 or 3 minutes later.
Leeds and Wigan one on the M62 on the way over to Castleford.
Leigh this afternoon. It was near the m6/m42 junction southbound
one from a distance in the Stobart yard at Newark
the Saints wagon; same time, same place on the M62.
a Catalans one today in the Midlands - it was southbound on the M1 between Junction 28 and Junction 27 at about 4pm.
Old Town, Swindon. I think it was a Widnes one
to the Cotswold for four days seen two one with a Catalan player and one with a castleford player
two were spotted on the M11, Cambridge (Wakefield I think) and in a lay by on the A57 at Worksop (hudds/Crabtree!)
a Saints one earlier today near Worsley on the M60 going towards Trafford Park.
the Huddersfield one this evening at M62/M60 J17
J6 heading south on the M42. To me delight, it was the Saints one
three on m6/m74 on thursday. saints,hullkr and salford. and saw a wakey one a few days earlier on m62.
one parked up at Stobarts depot on the A1 outside Worksop
Group shot of captains again Southbound on M1 at Junction 28 in Derbyshire
Two spotted within 5 minutes of each other at J 21 M62, Milnrow, Catalans going Eastbound and Broncos going West !
Bradford (2), Huddersfield, Leeds, St Helens (2), Widnes, Wigan - J17-J21 of the M62
the Leeds truck outside Milton Keynes in the M1.
Kevin Sinfield crossing the A1 just outside Peterborough
Eorl Crabtree heading down the A1 just outside Colsterworth
Widnes Vikings lorry heading down the A1 just outside Blythe
Castleford one, stuck in traffic, anti-clockwise on the M60 at the Swinton Interchange
saw no less than four on the M6 between Kendal and Beatock. Passed Huddersfield and London, and saw Warrington and Cas
only one branded one going south at Grantham on Sunday - Salford
Salford SLEddie ambling West on the M62 yesterday
Wigan ticked, M62 westbound between J20-J21,
Catalans one, on the M4 just by J17 at Chippenham.
a round trip to Kent on Saturday/Sunday and passed three of the branded trailers
Wigan going southbound on the M18
M62 between Rochdale & Huddersfield - three
Widnes on M65

That's me.  I'm done.

#106 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

better that we don't see them in the rugby league areas :rolleyes:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#107 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

better that we don't see them in the rugby league areas :rolleyes:

The only one I've seen was in Chippenham.

Do think that a sample populated largely by people who live within spitting distance of the M62 might have some kind of bias?

That's me.  I'm done.

#108 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have seen two both near Coventry.
if there are nominally 100 trailers how many would actually be out on the road at any one time? Does any logistics expert know what percentage of time is actually spent by a trailer on the road as against in a depot?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#109 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Swindon is awash with them! I'm up to 2! Widnes and Hull FC spotted in my home town.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#110 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

I saw 3 (THREE!) last night on the M74 in Scotland. The first one was Widnes (although it looked like their away kit?), the second Catalans and the third was Sam Tomkins flicking the V's.

#111 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

So far on this thread: <snip>

This one's hearsay but on Andy Wilson's current Set of Six is a report of someone seeing two SLEddies (Wigan and Huddersfield) on the A27 between Brighton and Portsmouth.

Edited by Saintslass, 23 February 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#112 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Saw my first one today - on the M6 near Lancaster. Think it was Salford.

The majority of us seem to be reporting the sightings as being on the other side of the road/motorway. If so, the majority are pointless. We know what we are loking for - and I couldn't even see anything else (due to speed) on the side of the truck like a rugby ball, the name of the sport or team or even the RFL or sky logos. No indication at all.

The value in this deal is when lorries are parked up in service stations, travelling slowly in our towns anmd cities or where you are on the same side of the road where more eyes can see the ads for longer. So jury's still out on this one.

#113 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

The majority of us seem to be reporting the sightings as being on the other side of the road/motorway.

That was bound to happen, it's pure statistics.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#114 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,721 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

If they all turn round though, we'll be sorted.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#115 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

The value in this deal is when lorries are parked up in service stations, travelling slowly in our towns anmd cities or where you are on the same side of the road where more eyes can see the ads for longer. So jury's still out on this one.

Also, the jury's out 'til the full complement of SL trailers are on the roads.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#116 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,114 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

It's applied statistics.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#117 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

For half term we drove up to Cairngorms for the week. All in all did over 1,000 miles. We saw 2 trucks, the Bulls one on east bound m62 at Brighouse jct as we were heading off. Then when we were coming back 6 days later saw the Salford one heading north on the m6 near Shap. That was it.

#118 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Did some people think that every single vehicle across Europe would be SL branded.

Some of the comments on here are my favourite posts yet and really show the negativity/cluelesness of certain fans.

Btw, i havent seen any, but if i had theyd have been going the wrong way, and too fast, and the glare off the sun would have hurt my eyes.
This sponsorship is a farce!

#119 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Did some people think that every single vehicle across Europe would be SL branded.

Some of the comments on here are my favourite posts yet and really show the negativity/cluelesness of certain fans.

Btw, i havent seen any, but if i had theyd have been going the wrong way, and too fast, and the glare off the sun would have hurt my eyes.
This sponsorship is a farce!

I'd expect them to at least have Superleague coloured flashing lights, and be ramming other sports related freight carrying transport off the road and gain Superleague motorway dominance that we deserve.

Get with the program dude. OMG

#120 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

I popped my Stobart cherry last night!

On our way back to Leeds after the York v Swinton game, we saw the Sam Tomkins truck on the a64 pulling into Murton lorry park at the Livestock center.

:biggrin:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users