Friday 25th August : Friday Night Lights - London Skolars v South Wales Ironmen K.O. 18.30

Discuss the Super 8s Kingstone Press League 1 Shield fixture between London Skolars and South Wales Ironmen  here.

FNL 2017.png

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

As usual on the eve of the Challenge Cup Final, London Skolars are hosting their "Friday Night Lights" fixture, this year against South Wales Ironmen.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/friday-night-lights-2017-skolars-vs-ironmen-tickets-34390930198

It would be fantastic if as many of the good RL folk who are down for the weekend could make it to this fixture and give the Skolars a healthy looking crowd. I know a few of our lot are going and I'm hoping to get along myself, with a bit of luck.

As IM2 has posted here, the real ale line up also looks fabulously tempting : 

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/306900-skolars-announce-best-ever-real-ale-line-up-for-friday-night-lights-25th-aug-match-v-ironmen/

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I'll be there - always enjoy. Hope to get there a bit earlier than normal to see the Masters. Only downside with all the good beer is a likely hangover watching the CC. 

Skolars going great guns in the Shield. A win against Ironmen will see them top the group. Can Skolars be the first London side to lift silverware since Fulham winning the 2nd Div in 1983? So, for those of you who don't drink beer, take your RL neat and cheer on the Cockneys !

1 hour ago, Quinskolar said:

Skolars going great guns in the Shield. A win against Ironmen will see them top the group. Can Skolars be the first London side to lift silverware since Fulham winning the 2nd Div in 1983? So, for those of you who don't drink beer, take your RL neat and cheer on the Cockneys !

one game at a time dave. should be a cracking night tho

SKOLARS’ FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS LOOKS TO BE BEST YET!

23RD AUGUST 2017

With Friday Night Lights being this very week we’re going to walk you through the day’s events to give you a flavour of what’s in store at New River come Friday. The event has become a real highlight for fans across London & the South as well as fans travelling down to watch the Challenge Cup final on the Saturday at Wembley & looking for a great night out the day before.

The day starts at 1pm with a three way U15s tournament featuring Hemel Stags, Elmbridge Eagles and a French touring team. A great opportunity to see the bright future of rugby league in the south east against a talented French outfit.Climbing the age ranks at 3pm where a London select U17s team take on their French equivalents. Again, a great opportunity to see the talented future of London rugby league.

“These youth games are an intrinsic part of the day for us, this is a real opportunity to make the most of the rugby league spotlight being on London and to give our young players a share of the limelight.” Jac Davies, Skolars General Manager.

At the opposite end of the spectrum will be our annual masters showcase between the London and Down South (LaDS) vs Political Animals at 4pm. The Political Animals feature politicians from across the political spectrum, both past and present.

The main event will feature the London Skolars taking on the South Wales Ironmen in their League 1 Shield fixture. The Skolars, having won their last 5 matches on the bounce will be looking to go a point clear at the top of the ladder.

UKSP-RL1-LSRLFCVSWIRLFC_PH_20170716-4689

“It’s a big night for the club as a whole and we want fans of other clubs to come down to New River to see what we’re all about” Jermaine Coleman, Skolars Head Coach.

Skolars will be looking to make it three wins from three against the south Walians this year, having already secured wins in the league and League 1 Cup at the start of the season.

It is set to be the Skolars largest event since hosting the Toronto Wolfpack in their season opener. The Londoners will however be looking to be on the winning side in front of a packed out home crowd.

London Skolars RL v  South Wales Ironmen RLKingstone Press League 116/07/2017.

As well as all the rugby, 4 games in all, the Skolars will also host its largest ever real-ale festival. In honour of the following day’s Challenge Cup Final, Skolars and their pouring partners Caveman Brewery have sourced beers from Wigan and Hull, as well as a selection of beers from the midlands, London and the South East.

Friday-Night-Lights-682x1024.png

Plenty of food and entertainment frame this unique event. Attendees are encouraged to arrive early to make the most of the event. The site will host three bars; the clubhouse, fan park and stand bars. Our wide selection of ales will be available across the three sites.

Tickets are still available from here. The New River stadium is a short walk from Wood Green tube station, which is itself a short hop from London city centre on the Piccadilly line. It’s also a short hop from Wembley for any spectators staying in that area for Saturday’s Final.

For any enquiries or to discuss our hospitality and group ticket purchases, please call 0208 888 8488 or email michaelgates@skolarsrl.com tickets can be purchased by using the following link https://www.eventbrite.com/e/friday-night-lights-2017-skolars-vs-ironmen-tickets-34390930198

11 hours ago, Quinskolar said:

Cockneys? I ve lived in London since 1992 and I don t think I ve ever met a Cockney. 

I hope the best 80 minutes of the entire evening is the professional display of rugby league skills by the South Wales Ironmen,

which will prevent a hat trick of wins by the Skolars.

I can't be there - but will be at the 3 remaining games;for the build up to the 2018 campaign.

I hope everyone in attendance has a great evening - without any of the anticipated travel problems.

Get there early...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 minutes ago, IM2 said:

wow thats a shame and such a good weekend as well. y so few especially with new owners etc?

As the club has moved continuously over the last few years they've lost around 15-20 due hard regulars. 

Now playing an hour westbound it's basically a brand new fan base and one of a former amateur club. These fans will be happy to pop along to home games out of curiosity but probably aren't dedicated enough yet to traipse over to North london on a Friday. The club haven't put a mini bus on or any the big as far as I know 

41 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Good result tonight and another decent crowd. Skolars now top of Shield. 

Congratulations.How well did the young South Wales Ironmen play? ( In particular the young half backs )

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Congratulations.How well did the young South Wales Ironmen play? ( In particular the young half backs )

I thought they were a bit unlucky to go in 16-0 down at half time. They had a lot of territory and possession and quite a few repeat sets on Skolars line, but never looked like breaking down some good goal-line defence from Skolars. Two tries right on half-time gave a score that didn't really reflect the half. For all the time camped on Skilars line,  S. Wales best chance of scoring was a length of the field interception, but even with a few metres start, the wingman was run down by two Skolars players and tackled into the corner flag. Lot of handling errors from both sides right through the match, thought the referee had an excellent game, nice to see a game free of much messing round in the tackle.

Skolars put together some nice moves and some good offloads and broke some tackles in the second half and looked like they were going to run in a lot of points, but the Welsh lads stuck with it.  Not sure about "young" though - Christian Roets must have been around even longer than Jermaine Coleman? Great to see Smokie Junor back in the Skolars first team after all this time.

I reckon there were at least 20 Welsh fans within earshot of me - 4 separate groups. Not necessarily actually regulars at Llanelli, I suppose.

50 minutes ago, JonM said:

I thought they were a bit unlucky to go in 16-0 down at half time. They had a lot of territory and possession and quite a few repeat sets on Skolars line, but never looked like breaking down some good goal-line defence from Skolars. Two tries right on half-time gave a score that didn't really reflect the half. For all the time camped on Skilars line,  S. Wales best chance of scoring was a length of the field interception, but even with a few metres start, the wingman was run down by two Skolars players and tackled into the corner flag. Lot of handling errors from both sides right through the match, thought the referee had an excellent game, nice to see a game free of much messing round in the tackle.

Skolars put together some nice moves and some good offloads and broke some tackles in the second half and looked like they were going to run in a lot of points, but the Welsh lads stuck with it.  Not sure about "young" though - Christian Roets must have been around even longer than Jermaine Coleman? Great to see Smokie Junor back in the Skolars first team after all this time.

I reckon there were at least 20 Welsh fans within earshot of me - 4 separate groups. Not necessarily actually regulars at Llanelli, I suppose.

nice summary. be good to get you to do our PR?

I couldn't add anything to JonM's excellent summary above. The chasedown of the South Wales player who had intercepted was a great bit of action.

Very pleased to have met up with OF and his mate. They learned the classic 'Northerners in London' lesson, which is that tube travel isn't instantaneous and 27 stops takes a long time. I trust they will learn that lesson for today's game, otherwise they will once again be trotting in just before halftime.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived