Food and drink thread

the field opposite my daughter's house is used to grow potatoes for Seabrook's crisps. They've told her she can have any taties that are left after they are harvested. Looking forward to it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My neighbours were out potato harvesting over the weekend, backsides pointing to the sky.  Looked back breaking work (which I obviously didn't join in with).

I don't blame you tim.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I don't blame you tim.

I'm limbering up for Wednesday when I have to shift and stack four cubic metres of wood.....  

All my friends seem to be occupied that day for some reason.

At school I did a few weeks of potato harvesting to make myself some money. I thought I was fit but that was back breaking work. I earned every penny of that money!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

At school I did a few weeks of potato harvesting to make myself some money. I thought I was fit but that was back breaking work. I earned every penny of that money!

10 bob a day and a shopping bag of spuds and a farmer shouting "Pick clean, Pick clean"

Still it were better than sweeping chimneys.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

10 bob a day and a shopping bag of spuds and a farmer shouting "Pick clean, Pick clean"

Still it were better than sweeping chimneys.

It was £15 a day, which was a huge amount for a 16 year old still at school in the mid-late 80s.  I remember it was £15 a day because I spent every minute of those days splitting the day into working hours, then half hours, then quarter hours, then 5 minutes and thinking that it really wasn't worth it while my arms were shaking with the effort and my back felt like I'd been beaten senseless by everyone alive in the UK at the time.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It was £15 a day, which was a huge amount for a 16 year old still at school in the mid-late 80s. I remember it was £15 a day because I spent every minute of those days splitting the day into working hours, then half hours, then quarter hours, then 5 minutes and thinking that it really wasn't worth it while my arms were shaking with the effort and my back felt like I'd been beaten senseless by everyone alive in the UK at the time.

£15 !!!!!!!

The last time I did it was 1970, my mate was on the dole and I was on holiday from work so I went to keep him company, that was 10 shillings (50p in today's money)

When I first did it in the early 60's it was half a crown a day (12.5p) a day. The other benefit of doing in those days was there were always girls around that would let you cop a feel. Bit of t1t and 5 woodbine! Oh happy days.

With my paper round money of 12/6d ( 62.5p) Macmillan was right "I'd never had it so good".

Edited by bearman

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

£15 !!!!!!!

The last time I did it was 1970, my mate was on the dole and I was on holiday from work so I went to keep him company, that was 10 shillings (50p in today's money)

When I first did it in the early 60's it was half a crown a day (12.5p) a day. The other benefit of doing in those days was there were always girls around that would let you cop a feel. Bit of t1t and 5 woodbine! Oh happy days.

With my paper round money of 12/6d ( 62.5p) Macmillan was right "I'd never had it so good".

I vomited when I read that. Filthy old man.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

£15 !!!!!!!

When I did the work it was all 30-50 year old women who were working there but they looked all in their 60s. :(

My mate got booted off the crew for making a joke that there was a DHSS man asking about where they were working the next day and half the women didn't show up in case they got caught out.

when I was a youth you did pea pulling in mid summer and tatie scratting in late summer/autumn. You were paid by the sackful. Pea pulling wasn't so bad. The weather was better, you could eat the peas and it was cleaner. There was no machinery involved with either apart from a tractor ploughing up the tatie furrows then it was all by hand. It was vile and you had to be desperate.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

an animal gave its life to finish up like that.

I wonder if you can hook it up to an intravenous drip...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back from the butcher at Burnt Oak with a kilo of goat meat to marinade overnight, so it'll be Caribbean curry tomorrow.  :yahoo:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/christmas-food-and-drink/11250871/Aldi-takes-on-Fortnum-and-Mason-with-76-wine-for-19.html

haven't had chance to try any of these yet but got two bottles of the Port, a bottle of Armagnac and a bottle of the Chateau Pajzos Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos 2008

I shall report back!

Edited by Mister C

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/christmas-food-and-drink/11250871/Aldi-takes-on-Fortnum-and-Mason-with-76-wine-for-19.html

haven't had chance to try any of these yet but got two bottles of the Port, a bottle of Armagnac and a bottle of the Chateau Pajzos Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos 2008

I shall report back!

Six puttonyos is unusual - most Tokajis usually go up to 5. Use it as a dessert wine, as it'll be too sweet to serve with savoury dishes. I must visit my nearest Aldi and check it out. We had friends in Hungary who used to send us all sorts of stuff, including Tokaji. They also sent us a Rubik's cube before it was launched in the West, along with some even more fiendish puzzles in the same vein.

I have had Tokaji Essenzia once, quite recently. That was, despite being past is best due to not being stored properly for all the time since it was bought, something very special indeed.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I shall report back!

Aldi have also got El Dorado eight year old rum at twenty quid a bottle. The five year is more than that with most retailers.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I shall report back!

I just bought a bottle of the Armagnac, as well as a couple of Innis & Gunn specials I haven't seen before - Treacle Porter and Canadian Cherrywood.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just bought a bottle of the Armagnac, as well as a couple of Innis & Gunn specials I haven't seen before - Treacle Porter and Canadian Cherrywood.

was there much left?

there was plenty left in Barrow :)

was there much left?

there was plenty left in Barrow :)

There were a few bottles, but I don't know how much they had back in the stockroom. it was a big branch, which means they probably got a fair amount.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aldi have also got El Dorado eight year old rum at twenty quid a bottle. The five year is more than that with most retailers.

I'm a pleb and that price seems extortionate. Desperado is only £2.90 in Wibsey Club.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• 2 weeks later...