Jump to content

Food and drink thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Latest delivery from https://www.souschef.co.uk

Escuminac great harvest maple syrup. I wanted late harvest, but it was out of stock.
Halen Mon black garlic ketchup.
Street Food dark Mexican seasoning. Chilli, chocolate and herbs.
Sarawak black peppercorns.
Essential Cuisine mirepoix glace.
Dried wild morel mushrooms.
Dried wild black trumpet mushrooms.

Is the late harvest syrup a stronger taste? I've only ever used it as a sweetener on puddings

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites


58 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Is the late harvest syrup a stronger taste? I've only ever used it as a sweetener on puddings

Here's the official blurb: "Obtained from maple sap right at the end of the harvesting season, this syrup is a deep amber colour. As the sap matures throughout the season, the caramel and rye flavours deepen and come to the fore."

The great harvest syrup I ended up buying is still quite dark, and tastes great. Next time, maybe, they'll have the late harvest syrup in stock.

I often use it in marinades and BBQ sauces, and occasionally as an alternative to sugar in my coffee.

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every biscuit on this thread - wow!

 

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is there a right or wrong red wine to stick in a deluxe Spaghetti Bolognese?

I plumped for Malbec in the end 😃

Seems like a good choice, although if you were being hard-line fundamentalist Italian, local red wines of the region where Bologna is situated are Sangiovese, Barbera or Bonarda.

Full-bodied and dry is the way to go, I think. Keeping it Italian, albeit from the South, a Primitivo (aka Zinfandel) would be a great choice.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/05/2021 at 12:49, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is there a right or wrong red wine to stick in a deluxe Spaghetti Bolognese?

I plumped for Malbec in the end 😃

I prefer a good strong rijoca 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One tin of Baxters lobster bisque, seasoned with chives, lemon juice, black pepper and timur berry*. Poach some king prawns in the bisque and serve with garlic bread for dipping. Drink what remains when the prawns are all eaten.

*like Szechuan pepper, but with a grapefruity aroma. Good with seafood and pork.

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone tried anything from the Salford Rum Company? Started by a couple of Rugby League-playing friends.

https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/the-salford-rum-company-creates-a-buzz-with-new-honey-rum/ 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ostrich steaks last night.

I bought them from Aldi and I had forgotten how good they are.For anyone who hasn't tried them. The texture is " beefy", but has a stronger taste than beef.

  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bearman said:

Ostrich steaks last night.

I bought them from Aldi and I had forgotten how good they are.For anyone who hasn't tried them. The texture is " beefy", but has a stronger taste than beef.

That sounds interesting, which part of the bird were they from? did you pan fry or oven cook them?

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

That sounds interesting, which part of the bird were they from? did you pan fry or oven cook them?

There was a bit of a craze in the Nineties for shops stocking kangaroo and ostrich. The latter is, as Bearman says, quite beefy, but with a closer texture and very lean.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There was a bit of a craze in the Nineties for shops stocking kangaroo and ostrich. The latter is, as Bearman says, quite beefy, but with a closer texture and very lean.

I'm intrigued. Is this, like a fillet steak or a slice of smoked salmon, something that has all the flavour needed to enjoy it, without adding extras to the pan?

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I'm intrigued. Is this, like a fillet steak or a slice of smoked salmon, something that has all the flavour needed to enjoy it, without adding extras to the pan?

When I've had it, it was cut like a beef fillet steak, so I just seasoned it and fried it.

  • Thanks 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

That sounds interesting, which part of the bird were they from? did you pan fry or oven cook them?

They were described as "fillet" but other than that I don't know. I grilled them on my Fire Mountain  bbq.

I find it really convenient and have also been using it for fish. It takes 5 minutes from lighting the 250g of charcoal to being ready to cook. When I have finished cooking I simply lift up the thing up and move it into my shed and leave it to go cold.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

I'm intrigued. Is this, like a fillet steak or a slice of smoked salmon, something that has all the flavour needed to enjoy it, without adding extras to the pan?

I am sure you would enjoy it.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An interesting new range of wines from Marks'n'Sparks: https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/wine-shop/wine-beer-and-spirits/found-range 

The ones I've tried so far are very good, and refreshingly different. 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

During my clearance from my flat that I was being evicted from, my charity helper & I realised that my chip pan needed destroying, there was about half an inch of grease on the OUTSIDE, when I was asked the age, I suggested 30 years old. So we binned it, suggesting I buy a deep fryer. But they are £60-90.

Fortunately I was walking past a charity shop, and saw an almost new Lidl Fryer for £20. It had been PAT tested, but I think that was the only time it had been out box. Result?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2021 at 15:08, Futtocks said:

An interesting new range of wines from Marks'n'Sparks: https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/wine-shop/wine-beer-and-spirits/found-range 

The ones I've tried so far are very good, and refreshingly different. 

The Feteasca Regala, a Romanian grape variety, is a real discovery! Just the thing for a sunny day.

However, I'll be having red wine tonight, as I'm making a rabbit and prune casserole. While getting my second jab*, I spotted an Irish butcher's down the road, and they have a good variety of stuff, including farmed rabbit. 

I also bought a pound of pork topside, which is going in a Mexican spice rub (chilli, cumin, cocoa & thyme) before a long slow cook.

*on the day of the jab, I bought a kilo of goat from another nearby shop, and curried it. I will be visiting that neighbourhood again. Not just for this, but there are three decent fishmongers there too. It seems to be a street of food shops from all nations.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/06/2021 at 17:32, Futtocks said:

The Feteasca Regala, a Romanian grape variety, is a real discovery! Just the thing for a sunny day.

However, I'll be having red wine tonight, as I'm making a rabbit and prune casserole. While getting my second jab*, I spotted an Irish butcher's down the road, and they have a good variety of stuff, including farmed rabbit. 

I also bought a pound of pork topside, which is going in a Mexican spice rub (chilli, cumin, cocoa & thyme) before a long slow cook.

*on the day of the jab, I bought a kilo of goat from another nearby shop, and curried it. I will be visiting that neighbourhood again. Not just for this, but there are three decent fishmongers there too. It seems to be a street of food shops from all nations.

This all sounds wonderfully tasty, Futtocks.  Do you take orders?

I am sure the rabbit and prune casserole will have kept you going...as it were!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw this, so of course I had to buy one, just out of curiosity. I'll report on the joys or horrors later.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

For some reason I've been eating cous cous everynight.

That could get a bit samey if you don't vary the accompanying ingredients and/or the cooking liquid. 

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...