Wigan clean up at MOS Awards

RFL PRESS RELEASE

Richards crowned Super League Man of Steel

Pat Richards is the 2010 Engage Super League Man of Steel.

The 28-year-old Wigan Warriors winger was tonight named as the winner of Rugby Leagues most coveted individual award at a gala dinner at the Hilton Hotel, Manchester.

The Man of Steel is the player deemed to have made the biggest impact on the Engage Super League season by his peers, who vote for the award in a secret ballot.

Richards polled more votes than the two other players on the short-list, Warrington Wolves captain Adrian Morley and Wigan team mate Sam Tomkins, to become only the fifth Australian to be crowned Man of Steel since the award was instigated in 1977.

With Richards in free-scoring form - the winger topped both the try scoring and goal kicking charts - Wigan Warriors have enjoyed a successful Super League season, finishing at the top of the league table for the first time in 10 years and reaching the Engage Super League Grand Final on Saturday October 2.

The Dream Team debutant has scored 29 tries, kicked 135 goals and amassed 388 points so far in 2010. This year, only two players have made more metres than the Australian winger, who is also joint top for clean breaks.

The Man of Steel dinner proved to be a night of mass celebration for the Warriors with coach Michael Maguire being named Engage Super League Coach of the Year; Sam Tomkins held on to the Young Player of the Year award: and Wigan were also announced as Engage Super League Club of the Year.

Maguire has been recognised as Engage Coach of the Year in his first season in Super League since he flew in from Australia to join Wigan at the end of last year.

In winning the Club of the Year award Wigan were praised not only for their performances on the field but for the way they run the club and present themselves.

Tomkins, 21, pipped Hull KR prop Liam Watts and St Helens player Jonny Lomax to win the Engage Young Player of the Year Award for the second successive season. The Dream Team member has had an outstanding season with Wigan, where he made a successful transition from stand-off to full-back in the closing months of the campaign to play an important role in the Warriors clinching the League Leaders Shield.

Engage Super League also issued three special awards to players deemed to have made a significant and memorable contribution to the competition throughout their careers and for whom 2010 is their last as a Super League player.

The three recipients of Engage Super League Special Awards were Malcolm Alker of Salford City Red, Jason Demetriou of Wakefield Trinity Wildcats and Keiron Cunningham of St Helens.

Demetriou has made 225 Super League appearances with Alker totalling 273 appearances in his career. Cunningham has made 380 appearances in Super League with St Helens and scored the final try in the last competitive game at the GPW Recruitment Stadium.

BBC commentator Ray French has been awarded the Mike Gregory Spirit of Rugby League Award which recognises individuals whose career in the game has consistently reflected the core values of the sport over an extended period of time and who have made a significant and positive contribution to Rugby League in this way.

For the first time at the Man of Steel dinner, there was also the induction of one guest onto the RFL Roll of Honour, one of the most prestigious awards the sport has to offer. Instigated in 2003, the Roll of Honour recognises people who have given outstanding service to the sport either as a player or administrator.

Sky Sports executive producer Neville Smith has been inducted onto the RFL Roll of Honour. Smith has been producing Rugby League for Sky since its coverage started in 1990 and was an early advocate for the slow-motion video replays. Smith produces over 90 games a year for the broadcaster including the new HD and 3D formats that have featured this year.

Other awards presented at the 2010 Engage Super League Man of Steel dinner:

Carnegie Community Champion Award Willie Poching (Leeds Rhinos).

Frontline Fair Play Index winners Harlequins RL.

Engage Super League Metre Maker James Graham (St Helens), 4,036 metres.

Engage Super League Hit Man Dallas Johnson (Catalans Dragons), 1,106 tackles.

Engage Super League Top Try-Scorer Pat Richards (Wigan Warriors), 29 in the regular season.

I'm waiting for BOAB to come along and explain why the RFL haven't robbed Wigan of all these awards :D

Very well done to everyone at Wigan, and congratulations to all the other recipients of awards

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

That went better than I expected for Wigan. Do they decide these things on the day, as Wigan could have been hammered by Leeds on Saturday, in which case the case for a clean sweep would have been harder to make. I hadn't realised Sam was still young enough for Young Player. It hardly seems fair on all the other young lads.

Thought Smith and Morley would have got coach and MOS. Tomkins deserved YP though.

Smith dragged his team to third, but ultimately failed in the playoffs, back to the drawing board.

McGuire has had less time with his team and worked wonders with them, well deserved.

MOS was a bit more subjective, but I have no issues with Richards (or any other winger) getting the award. I would also find it strange seeing Morley get it when Ben Westwood actually swept the board at the Wire awards.

I don't like the way that the coach of the year is almost exclusively chosen from the SLE. What about coaches in the CC and CC1? Darryl Powell? Paul March?

I might be wrong but I think the MOS awards are just for SL clubs - the Championship sides have their own awards ceremony at which Darryl Powell was named coach of the year.

I might be wrong but I think the MOS awards are just for SL clubs - the Championship sides have their own awards ceremony at which Darryl Powell was named coach of the year.

You are right, the Championship had their do last week in Manchester.

The awards were duscussed here. http://www.totalrl.com/index.php?showtopic=208768

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Well done Wigan, stand out team in the league by a fair bit this year.

Bit disappointed Richard Agar didn't get coach of the year, I understand he was outbid for this one.

Luxury-Coach-JNP6126-.jpg

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)