The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

I think what is really eating away at some people is the fact the Featherstone Rovers have been pivotal in making this restructure happen.   Blowing Cas out of the water and running wigan close was where it all stared  and having a chairman who has worked with others and brought about a change in attitude.

I will be deadly honest.  I see RL as a tribal sport and I am buzzing at the fact that the likes of Wakefield and Cas may suffer some hardship.  Humans are Selfish................... to a man on here all our views ultimately service our own needs.

And you been a Wakefield Fan (martyn) can probably see your shiny new stadium and thus future slipping away, because should you get relegated it will be very hard to justify the build.   Good luck

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering - if a club like - say - Sheffield finishes Third in Middle Eight but don't meet minimum standards, will the Middle Eight Play-off be between Fifth and Sixth or Fourth and Fifth ?

If it's between Fourth and Fifth, what are they playing for ?

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

So if i've got this right,some people are saying its ok for wakefield to be in sl and constantly failing and going into admin cos they've got nothing to lose but fev shouldn't be allowed in because they're a cracking club thats well run,makes a profit and owns its own stadium and land

yup thats what the great RL Minds are saying lol

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

I'm just wondering - if a club like - say - Sheffield finishes Third in Middle Eight but don't meet minimum standards, will the Middle Eight Play-off be between Fifth and Sixth or Fourth and Fifth ?

If it's between Fourth and Fifth, what are they playing for ?

Why on earth do you let your head get clogged up with wondering about all that ######.  

Doncaster will take up your mantel now, great stadium, developing team, good structure and management set up, time to start looking over your shoulder in South yorks

Edited by petesmithfan

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

My tuppence worth is that Franchising has failed because too many clubs were allowed to get away with underperforming. This comes down to a lack of leadership and strength at the top of the game.Franchising was supposed to allow teams to up their game over the course of a 3 year licence period without the risks of relegation. What in fact has happened is far too many clubs have seen it as an opportunity to do the bare minimum.

Well again that's an argument that looks fine on the face of it.

However why were there such bad academies? Why did clubs have to do the bare minimum, why did many SL clubs not have the same staffing and facilities the big boys had??

It was a lack of money simple as that. Licensing was a medium for clubs to succeed in, but many of the clubs did not have the money to meet the licensing requirements fully.

Much of the £Millions put in by the Fulton's, Hudgell's, O'Connors, Hughes, Richardson, Wilkinson etc merely went to try to put a competitive team on the pitch. The clubs incomes could not pay for everything licensing demanded.

I think your maybe off beam to think the clubs were just lazy?

I wonder if Martyn could do an interview with Mark Cambel where could pose all the questions that are troubling him about the rovers finances.  Then we can all have the low down,   Seems churlish speculating on here when he has better access to the people with the facts than we do.

Look forward to seeing interview in print.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

Doncaster will take up your mantel now, great stadium, developing team, good structure and management set up, time to start looking over your shoulder in South yorks

Good luck to them.  Neither Sheffield nor Doncaster is ready for $uperleague just yet.

I wonder if Martyn could do an interview with Mark Cambel where could pose all the questions that are troubling him about the rovers finances.  Then we can all have the low down,   Seems churlish speculating on here when he has better access to the people with the facts than we do.

Look forward to seeing interview in print.

Alvin..... What a fabulous idea!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go straight to the organ grinder and ask.........

Edited by Robin Evans

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Why could Championship teams like Fev, Fax and Sheffield afford or want to run academy teams at a number of levels but SL clubs saying they couldnt afford? Was it not Huddersfield who failed more than once to fulfil academy fixtures at U20 level? SL Clubs have been lazy often and looked for short term benefits. With no relegation for 3 years it was an ideal time for clubs to look to spend money on the academy and give more youngsters a chance at SL. Some clubs did it but many didnt. The decision to get rid of the U20s was short term thinking and down to lazyness. The likes of Bradford, Wakey, Cas, London, Hudds, Salford (before Koukash) had money to waste on no name overseas players but often couldnt be bothered to properly fund a reserve/U20s team and voted to get rid. The money is there if clubs wanted to run a reserve/U20s but would rather waste it on signing first grade players in the hope of reaching the playoffs. The 3 year licences didnt solve anything as clubs were prepared to bust the bank to be in the playoffs and think short term. Dual regs was again short term and lazy thinking. A number of players have either walked away from the game or gone to Australia because of this. The game has since forever got down the short term thinking route and made decisions based on yesterday instead of looking at the future and making decisions which will reap benefits later. People will make excuses for clubs like not having enough money etc, but how much has Bradford, Salford, Wakey received from Sky money over the years and I bet much of that was wasted. Its poor management that has let SL down from both clubs and the RFL. It would be good if the game actually grew up and took some responsibilty for its state rather than forever looking elsewhere for the source of its problems

Just seems the sensible thing for a Journalist to do Robin ;) ;) ;)

What amazes me is its clear to see where any investment or directors loans have gone at Fev,  Stand, refreshment kiosks, floodlights (hull kr to be installed)  centre of excellence, club house refit, all of which are expected to see a return over a period.   Gound improvements will increase capacity = more revenue, refreshment kiosks = more revenue,  floodlights meet criteria meaning chance of promotion = more central funding,  centre of excellence = better players = better results = more transfer income. Stand = business units = more revenue,  stand = disabled gym = diversity.  Club house refit= more functions (weddings etc) = more revenue.

the diversity of our business also = more sponsors= more revenue.

Its not like we have just thrown it all at the team.   Our liabilities represent great value in the medium to long term, where as the liabilities of say Bradford or Wakefield represent  very poor value in the short , medium and long term.

Edited by petesmithfan

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

Well again that's an argument that looks fine on the face of it.

However why were there such bad academies? Why did clubs have to do the bare minimum, why did many SL clubs not have the same staffing and facilities the big boys had??

It was a lack of money simple as that. Licensing was a medium for clubs to succeed in, but many of the clubs did not have the money to meet the licensing requirements fully.

Much of the £Millions put in by the Fulton's, Hudgell's, O'Connors, Hughes, Richardson, Wilkinson etc merely went to try to put a competitive team on the pitch. The clubs incomes could not pay for everything licensing demanded.

I think your maybe off beam to think the clubs were just lazy?

Key would be to have better incentives for developing and retaining self grown academy talent. I think there seems to be a start with something that limits the salary allocated against the salary cap, no matter how much the salary is.  They should go further so that you gain significant advantage against salary cap for self developed academy players, say for a period of 5 years for an individual player, etc, anyway with more thought could come up with an approach that is a major incentives.  Could even extend to players from your academy playing in first team elsewhere and the academy producing clubs get some salary cap relief,

Edited by redjonn

I must say that I have found all this bickering and petty points-scoring a bit too much over recent weeks. My Dad is bigger than your Dad syndrome is tiresome.

All the while the NRL clubs are eyeing up our top talent and creaming them off at will. Who can blame players for wanting to jump ship from a competition that settles on a format with 3 weeks to go to the season opener. Stability brings success - if you were thinking about putting money into club RL at the moment you would definitely need nerves of steel.

Edited by Scubby

I must say that I have found all this bickering and petty points-scoring a bit too much over recent weeks. My Dad is bigger than your Dad syndrome is tiresome.

All the while the NRL clubs are eyeing up our top talent and creaming them off at will. Who can blame players for wanting to jump ship from a competition that settles on a format with 3 weeks to go to the season opener. Stability brings success - if you were thinking about putting money into club RL at the moment you would definitely need nerves of steel.

What is so galling is its perpetuated by our own media.......... we hark on about national media not giving us a fair ride.  But our own RL press are continually decisive  and undermining.  They say they care and its their duty blah blah blah.  They could do much more to SELL the sport to different groups!  More stuff on players lifestyles, stuff that appeals to the younger fan.

I would like our Media to become the next big expansion area and bee more independent.   Instead of a couple of blokes in brighouse running lifestyle business off the back of our sport. 

There are some very good modern RL Jurnos out their, they are been held back bye their dinosaur editors.  And that is from the horses mouth so as to speak and why many are turning to creating web based media themselves.  We are on the cusp of a media revolution in League and the old guard no it !!!

Edited by petesmithfan

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

I wonder if Martyn could do an interview with Mark Cambel where could pose all the questions that are troubling him about the rovers finances.  Then we can all have the low down,   Seems churlish speculating on here when he has better access to the people with the facts than we do.Look forward to seeing interview in print.

I can’t wait! Last week it didn’t get delivered, but will be straight out for one of that happens again. I would like to know what “financial pressures” Martyn says will be put on clubs by the new structure. Last year he said clubs would bust a gut “overspending to avoid relegation”. The autumn clamour for players is just about over and all I can see is sensible spending and in some place s like Wakey and Bradford sensible cuts in the player budget.

I suggested to Ponte and Terry that Rovers did not seem to be busting their guts to get in the Superleague ASAP and seemed happy to do it through the 3x8 system. I think from the figures Martyn gives it’s clear they are financially well stretched but as has been said who isn’t outside the big boys and big bankrollers.

Martyn’s expose of the finances of Fev was part of Ponte’s debate with him hence he chose Fev to illustrate a point. I’m sure that post wasn’t tomorrows article in full or I may as well cancel my copy. I think the accounts at many of the clubs from HKR down to Leigh will all be pretty much the same with clubs spending to the limit. Let's see if he has the full low down?

All these ten clubs have struggled in Superleague apart from Featherstone who have never had the chance to either make or break. So for a couple of years now I for one have always thought they should have their chance regardless.

also im heearing season tickets are gonna be sold in 2 blocks...1 for the regular season then one for the 3x8 season...

Selling a three game season ticket will be a hard sell, won't it ?  If the price is more than double the entrance fee, punters are bound to start thinking they'll be out of pocket if they miss just one game.

Key would be to have better incentives for developing and retaining self grown academy talent. I think there seems to be a start with something that limits the salary allocated against the salary cap, no matter how much the salary is.  They should go further so that you gain significant advantage against salary cap for self developed academy players, say for a period of 5 years for an individual player, etc, anyway with more thought could come up with an approach that is a major incentives.  Could even extend to players from your academy playing in first team elsewhere and the academy producing clubs get some salary cap relief,

I dunno too much about academies Red, It may be once the top clubs scouts have been round every year there's not a lot of top talent left for the rest of the clubs to sign to their academies and develop.

Hardaker was missed and Leeds paid £100K to take him away anyway. In an ideal smaller Superleague the talent would be spread evenly but how to do this is another thread....

What is so galling is its perpetuated by our own media.......... we hark on about national media not giving us a fair ride.  But our own RL press are continually decisive  and undermining.  They say they care and its their duty blah blah blah.  They could do much more to SELL the sport to different groups!  More stuff on players lifestyles, stuff that appeals to the younger fan.

I would like our Media to become the next big expansion area and bee more independent.   Instead of a couple of blokes in brighouse running lifestyle business off the back of our sport. 

There are some very good modern RL Jurnos out their, they are been held back bye their dinosaur editors.  And that is from the horses mouth so as to speak and why many are turning to creating web based media themselves.  We are on the cusp of a media revolution in League and the old guard no it !!!

Some very good points about the media there.

We have two weekly papers, neither of which do much to further the cause of Rugby League.  I would suggest that both of them need to develop a more positive attitude towards our game.  It's very easy and very lazy to snipe and tell us all what's wrong.

I stopped buying League Express some time ago becuase I don't like the style and feel of the reporting and editorials.  League Weekly, while a little more positive isn't much better.

RLW is a better read, a magazine is perhaps more suited to the behind the scenes stuff that we RL anoraks like to lap up.  That said, there could be a big difference made to the two papers if the tone was lifted a bit.

Until the in house press start to big up the game, we can't really expect the nationals to give us a fair crack, IMVHO.

How would your finances look without the GF windfalls?  you earned them but they were never guaranteed and I have no idea of the effect, I just wonder if there would have been any?

Pretty similar.  Most of it goes on extra costs like players' wages.

I can’t wait! Last week it didn’t get delivered, but will be straight out for one of that happens again. I would like to know what “financial pressures” Martyn says will be put on clubs by the new structure. Last year he said clubs would bust a gut “overspending to avoid relegation”. The autumn clamour for players is just about over and all I can see is sensible spending and in some place s like Wakey and Bradford sensible cuts in the player budget.

I suggested to Ponte and Terry that Rovers did not seem to be busting their guts to get in the Superleague ASAP and seemed happy to do it through the 3x8 system. I think from the figures Martyn gives it’s clear they are financially well stretched but as has been said who isn’t outside the big boys and big bankrollers.

Martyn’s expose of the finances of Fev was part of Ponte’s debate with him hence he chose Fev to illustrate a point. I’m sure that post wasn’t tomorrows article in full or I may as well cancel my copy. I think the accounts at many of the clubs from HKR down to Leigh will all be pretty much the same with clubs spending to the limit. Let's see if he has the full low down?

All these ten clubs have struggled in Superleague apart from Featherstone who have never had the chance to either make or break. So for a couple of years now I for one have always thought they should have their chance regardless.

Agreed.  If you see my post on the last page, I state how fev have spent thier money and the revenues it may create in the medium to long term.   We have spent on increasing capacity, increasing matchday revenue ( new refreshment kiosks). Non match day revenue ( club house upgrade, business units in new stand)  Playing refenue (centre of excellence).  So to me our liabilities represent an example of good investment that will see medium and longterm gains in many areas.   Where as some liabilities at clubs like Wakefield represent very poor value investment in the medium and long term.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION