Marquee allowance

Rob

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's say Salford outbid every other club and buy all these world class players and then become the top club in sl, how do the rest of the teams who can't afford to compete with marwans cash challenge Salford. Do teams like wigan and saints and leeds then abandon their junior efforts and use the money to try and compete in the transfer market? What happens to the future of the game then?

Let's say Salford outbid every other club and buy all these world class players and then become the top club in sl, how do the rest of the teams who can't afford to compete with marwans cash challenge Salford. Do teams like wigan and saints and leeds then abandon their junior efforts and use the money to try and compete in the transfer market? What happens to the future of the game then?

Salford can only have so many players. There is a point at which returns of doing that naturally diminish especially with the quota's and squad limits we have now.

I'd rather have a Salford that spends money on junior development and builds for the future rather than a Salford that try and buy success for short term gain. What would you rather have scotchy?

I don't think it's an either or situation. I think we can have both. I think we sometimes see something of a false dichotomy.

I think we can encourage youth development and have star players brought in.

Scotchy, I am appalled with myself - on this subject I am with you 100%, let the cream rise with limited constraints we need to make RL sexy again. Leeds, Wigan and Salford can lead the way with hopefully Wire and Saints jumping in too. Star players attract kids to the sport, development will benefit

Scotchy, I am appalled with myself - on this subject I am with you 100%, let the cream rise with limited constraints we need to make RL sexy again. Leeds, Wigan and Salford can lead the way with hopefully Wire and Saints jumping in too. Star players attract kids to the sport, development will benefit

No ,no ,no ,no Craig , you can't want that , it doesn't fit in with others pre conceived thoughts on how you follow the sport , an increase in the SC would push your and my club further backwards in the pecking order , and everybody knows we only care about our clubs , not what is best for the game

No ,no ,no ,no Craig , you can't want that , it doesn't fit in with others pre conceived thoughts on how you follow the sport , an increase in the SC would push your and my club further backwards in the pecking order , and everybody knows we only care about our clubs , not what is best for the game

jeez, just give your opinion and let others give theirs.

jeez, just give your opinion and let others give theirs.

I did on post # 27 , and had posters having a go at me for it

I did again later on , and again had posters getting ' shirty ' , they even introduced Leigh players nothing to do with the discussion , and yet when I then commented , they told me it was thread drift

I seems I can't win whatever I post , so best to leave this one

Nobody actually knows wether it would work or not , only one way to find out

Anyway , everybody continue ' waffling '

I did on post # 27 , and had posters having a go at me for it

I did again later on , and again had posters getting ' shirty ' , they even introduced Leigh players nothing to do with the discussion , and yet when I then commented , they told me it was thread drift

I seems I can't win whatever I post , so best to leave this one

Nobody actually knows wether it would work or not , only one way to find out

Anyway , everybody continue ' waffling '

that isnt what happened at all.

You crack on, ill add this to the growing list of threads to steer clear of.

Overall I don't see it as an issue , 1 exception isn't going to make a huge difference , might as well try it and see

in an environment that sees clubs go bust over a few hundred grand, allowing clubs to spend hundreds of thousand more is risky.

When Academies have been cut over costs, it is slightly odd that some are pushing for this allowance.

So why are we talking like it will. Are Leigh going to find a few £Hundred thousand for a marquee player? Or was that Fui Fui Moi Moi who we are told did "sweet FA" yesterday?

Keep it on topic as Dave says, and my worry is it's people like Fui Fui who will end up being the "Marquee" players

Allora warns of:- 

1. You always risk an Australian player taking the money and having a holiday in England.

2. Players like Inglis, Thurston and Smith would only come over at the twilight of their careers

3. They are on massive money in the NRL already by all accounts.

I don't think any successful company can tie their colours to the mast of players who simply may not perform do you?

And like Fui Fui who wasn't wanted in Superleague would companies tie their colours to the mast of past it players?

Your an ex-club director so you should be able to give us an insight into how the marquee player thing works. If the NRL and the RU stars who would be our Marquee players are on "massive money" how do we afford to not match it, but better it by a long way, as we will need to offer significantly more to get these players.

Lets say the Australian International earns £300K a year, how do we find £400K a year, and then what do we do if his much richer club decide to match it in retaliation?? Don't proper Marquee players have the ability to engender financial competition for their signatures??  As I say Fui Fui may well be the sort of players clubs will herald as great captures, you have after all been there. Are there companies in Leigh who would let you have £400,000?

But beyond the fantasy of SBW, Burgess, Inglis and Thurston it was said above that with a marquee player allowance we could keep more of our own SL stars. Joe Burgess is set to leave. maybe Joe's on £50K, maybe Wigan have offered another £50K to keep him, maybe under a marquee allowance they can offer him £150K.

What does Josh Charnley then do? or Liam Farrell, after all they are full Internationals. Do their agents play Wigan off against NRL clubs? Or do Josh and Liam just accept the situation and play for half what Joe gets. Again as an ex-club director you may be able to explain that one as well.

The only players that will benefit from this allowance will be existing SL players. The recent RU BT deal is a huge increase and the NRL is a cash cow. With all due respect to the SL clubs they are not going to be attracting quality players from those comps anytime soon. That said, I think that if RU wanted any more SL players they probably would have bid for them by now so if SL paid players more £s on the basis of "retaining them" they may be attempting to stave off potential bids that simply don't exist. Now that would be a waste of money.

In certain sports the MPA might be a good idea, like Alessandro Del Piero at Sydney FC,  BUT Sydney FC play at Allianz Stadium so they had the capacity for 20,000 extra fans. Sydney also has a large, wealthy Italian community so the club was able to set up all kinds of side deals to fund his onfield time.

How would a club like Wakey or Cas do this?

Given that Kieran Foran just signed for the Eels at £620K and as previous posters pointed out, SL clubs have been wound up by the tax office for half that amount, how many could realistically afford an A-List player? The NRL just released its 2014 financials and had a surplus of about £26Mill on top of the £26Mill they banked the year before. If the NRL also introduced a MPA subsidised by central funding, SL clubs wouldn't stand a chance.

As other posters have suggested, if I'm Ryan Hall's (or Charnley or any current Brit Test player) agent then the first thing I do is make sure I get photographed with my player, having lunch with the people at Bath, Toulon and Stade Francais. Any agent who didn't try this on would be failing in his duty to his player.

I'm not opposed to MPA's in principle but I can't see how SL would get any value from them.

Is this definitely happening?

Quote from Marwan Koukash implies so.

In certain sports the MPA might be a good idea,

How would a club like Wakey or Cas do this?

Given that Kieran Foran just signed for the Eels at £620K and as previous posters pointed out, SL clubs have been wound up by the tax office for half that amount, how many could realistically afford an A-List player? The NRL just released its 2014 financials and had a surplus of about £26Mill on top of the £26Mill they banked the year before. If the NRL also introduced a MPA subsidised by central funding, SL clubs wouldn't stand a chance.

The only Chairman keen on it hints of it.

Then we're off fantasising about all the Superleague clubs doing it.

Even though they can't afford it. £68M in debt crowds falling and cap in hand to SKY for advances from the next SKY deal

And it'd be a waste of money, with the most far fetched idea of scrapping the cap and letting proven frugal and considered Chairmen off a leash that is somehow restricting them all from spending £Millions they clearly don't want to, on players who clearly would not come.

And that is supposed to be "Investment"

IMHO of course - peace and love you narky lot

Christ...having 1 player,per club,off the salary cap is not going to bankrupt the sport...

Whoooooossssshhhhhh

Total misinterpretation there Spud.

It's about Marquee players that are an "investment" where you dish out a few £hundred thousand (way above your clubs whole wage bill) and the player dominates games and entices the crowds like Wally Lewis did.

Or did he. Great player but a massive investment, no real return (he got sent off when I went to see him) and he wouldn't come in today's financial climate.

Cas begged hundreds of £thousands off Fulton to stave off closure, yet the old fella is now supposed to buy Greg Inglis for £hundreds of thousands.

The man who covets marquee players to excite the crowds has managed to capture the mercurial Rangi Chase of You Tube fame and the great Kevin Locke.

That brought 2,700 fans into his stadium and lost Koukash £20,000

Funny how people have a go at my figures - have a go at these......

But nobody would be forcing any chairman to have a marquee signing , it would be voluntary , not compulsory

Nobody knows if it would work or not

Unless you try it , nothing to stop it a few years down the road if it all of a sudden starts to cause financial issues

But nobody would be forcing any chairman to have a marquee signing , it would be voluntary , not compulsory

Unless you try it , nothing to stop it a few years down the road if it all of a sudden starts to cause financial issues

I understand your point and would be delighted to sit and watch and see what happened.

However shouldn't RFL/SLE policy be based on sound ideas, well costed with a "return on investment" in which Superleague clubs agree a course of action and then jointly take it.

As it stands Dr. Koukash could easily be the only person to actually want to (try to) spend a few hundred thousand on one star player.

Again great, bring it on, because it would be fascinating and give us a lot to talk about, but I do hope you understand my point in terms of better business sense than that 

15 years of falling wages and we still can't afford those things. How many more years of falling wages before we admit defeat? Another 10? Another 25? Are we going to get to 50 years of falling wages and still wonder why cutting our cloth accordingly is just leaving us with a tiny useless rag?

Why is the solution therefore to spend money that isn't there and accelerate the decline you see?

Are you guilty of listening to and being excited by Marwan into a fantasy world?

Listen to Wakey - no more money for players says Webster

Listen to Gill - Cas are hand to mouth

Listen to Hudgell - Can't go on forever subsidising HKR at £half a million a year

Listen to O'Connor - The club has to work to it's income

Listen to McManus - He does not want marquee signings

Listen to Pearson - He broke the budgets to bring in players but would not do it again

Listen to Green - the Bulls will work within their income

Listen to Hughes - he has his family to think about now

Above all Listen to your own Hetherington - A wage structure that isn't based on favouritism and a chairman who doesn't even sign marquee players for his beloved RU club.

As for the silent ones are Lenegan, Davey and Moran chomping at this bit?? Not last time this was tabled. 

If there is a model for some owners to go out and bring in top talent, that therefore brings in the crowds, and therefore, brings in more money for more talent until we have it all please set it out.

Posters have suggested SBW, Inglis, Thurston, Tomkins, Burgess. etc

Posters have suggested the cost of these players salaries if they are to be enticed to the M62

You can work out the crowds needed to bring a return on these investments.

Good investment or fantasy. Give us the figures.

So, you buy a second rate player on an inflated salary; 5 year contract. The 'rule' then stops. You then have some teams committed to players contracts etc etc.

Integrity win.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Archived