Sheffield reaction

town4me

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same against donny on the touch line . Don't know but it's a bit of a concern . Whether he's getting busted , or just fatigued or struggling to shake off knocks and getting more and more . Hope he gets injury free and up to speed with conditioning ( which is probably the key ) as , maybe wrong , but the glimpses you see say there's plenty there for us in my opinion . Time will tell .

I would like to see either Deurden or young Aikhurst in place of WHITELY , also we have been patient  long enough with Fifita , today when you expect him to take the ball up he just could not get rid of it fast enough, in my opinion a waste of space,

We were beaten in every area today but the main one is the one that's been our downfall in three of the four games so far, and that's controlling the ruck. Other teams are getting a role on by quick play the ball and it snowballs . How many times were we still turning when they played the ball and how many times did our players have to catch the ball at the shoulder instead of in front of them? Result...little go forward and a slow play the ball.

We need another turnaround like last year that turned defeats into wins cos we're competing with these good teams but there's a few things wrong like DR, the halfback situation, unfit overseas players and being bossed at the ruck. On the plus side when things do click we've got some good young players who won't let us down.

thing is last season we ran good teams close and beat the lesser teams of the league... this year there arent many lesser sides, its a great comp to be in and players are doing well holding their own at this level, but to be a mid table force we need a little more, we need to be smarter, with the ball, without the ball,, regarding the ref... they had 2 actual chances in the gme and took them both ... we had umpteen pens, great field position and we surprised ourselves when we scored ! jeez sheffield hardly got in our half with the wind in the first 30 mins !

I was expecting to see him smash it up on the field, and by the looks of it hes smashed a few haighs pies!!

I did say give him a few games though, so il give him til the whaven game and if he hasnt performed, then, nobody can stick up for him!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

my pre match post of bounce of the ball and refs calls came true  .  the whole match hinged on the score just after half time  .  to us on the popular side sheffield did not get the ball down  , as the town players near the incident also thought   Having said that we turned 2 points down at nil all....we turned 2 points down at nil six...we blew a walk in try when a score looked certain .  instead of going in 10  -  8  up we went in 8-nil down  .the joke of a try just after half time made it 14  nil  , from there your game chasing  .worried about the injuries we picked up during the game for wednesday is massive now  .  in this league a lot of games are going to be won by a couple of points  , take the easy twos when they are given  , if we had stayed in touch today we would have won  , our fitness is our best weapon in the final quarter  . Still have faith and think the boys will do the business on wednesday  .UP THE TOWN .                

We were beaten in every area today but the main one is the one that's been our downfall in three of the four games so far, and that's controlling the ruck. Other teams are getting a role on by quick play the ball and it snowballs . How many times were we still turning when they played the ball and how many times did our players have to catch the ball at the shoulder instead of in front of them? Result...little go forward and a slow play the ball.

We need another turnaround like last year that turned defeats into wins cos we're competing with these good teams but there's a few things wrong like DR, the halfback situation, unfit overseas players and being bossed at the ruck. On the plus side when things do click we've got some good young players who won't let us down.

My thoughts as well, every one of them just ran hard and straight making 10 metres with just about every drive. Their line speed was much quicker than ours bordering on illegal most of the time but the ref won't ping them every time and they knew it, they were well schooled in the dark arts of the game winning the battle on the floor. Stack was outstanding today and we can only hope is injury doesn't keep him out, he is vital for us. Matty put in a great shift but he could have done with a spell off, the fitness on fafita and Horton is a bit worrying and Liam Mcavoy looked totally goosed for most of the game.

We've just been narrowly beaten by a team that will finish in the top four IMO, so let's not too down hearted, a win on Wednesday would certainly give us all a lift, it will all depend on who is available. Poor crowd today but I honestly thought there was a better attendance than the Donny game.

Just to make a bad day worse, listening to the radio on the way home John Cox was at his most infuriating biased self, listening to him you would think that haven had turned into the Sydney Roosters overnight, I thought we'd heard the last of him  :rtfm:

Surely akehurst will get the nod at centre on wednesday rather than play someone in an unfamiliar role? A position he is very familiar with having played there as an amateur. Keep stack in the pack if fit and ritson on the wing instead of tierney. Personally, id leave fifita out till he gets some sort of fitness. May be the kick up the backside he needs.

What do people think about kicking goals from penalties that are pretty easy two pointers ? I know it's a classic hindsight thing

When we know we are in for a tight game against good teams then I would be taking 2 points every time.   There are other times when you are on top and you can see the other side wilting to go for the jugular instead but I think today was one of those days when we should have been taking the kicks at goal.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

I said to a friend that we should go for a goal when we got the first Penalty at 6-0 down . The game was tight and we looked like we could contain them but didnt look like we had the finishing to score too many . It would have been a draw if .......but ifs are all too late.

The try after half time was a joke, as was the constant laying on, and sly hits. That said we should have taken the easy 2 pointers. Fifita isn't worth a place in the squad not fit and no go in him, just hope some of the guys are ok for Wednesday as these are the must win games that will count,

This league is so tough that you have to take your opportunities and we don't seem able to do that. Last year we picked up bonus points by running teams close but of course this year there's none available and a 2 point defeat may as well be a 30 point defeat, you get nowt either way. Our game last year was based on strong defence and keeping games tight but that's not enough this year, you have to have an attacking edge too. Why we spent money on forwards from overseas instead of 1 quality half back who could start the season here is beyond me, I think it's something we might regret come the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong but even this early in the season the alarm bells are ringing, or at least should be, and the Dewsbury game is a must win given the run of games we have coming up after that.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Surely akehurst will get the nod at centre on wednesday rather than play someone in an unfamiliar role? A position he is very familiar with having played there as an amateur. Keep stack in the pack if fit and ritson on the wing instead of tierney. Personally, id leave fifita out till he gets some sort of fitness. May be the kick up the backside he needs.

Scholey is showing far more than Fifita at the moment . ok the lads you mentioned were signed to add depth to the squad and bring through but on DR showing today and the build up of matches those lads wouldnt be out of place and should get more chances when fit .

A lot of people who were in the "no need to panic" brigade seem to be very quiet now... I made reference on many occasions the importance of getting a halfback in to partner carl forber, and that was when we had Lupton around, everyone said I was talking and that it was all under control, now were 5 games in and he's still not here, it was muted that doran was coming on a season long loan ... Which has turned out to be shorter, but why didn't we get him in on loan from Christmas? At least having him train with the side Thursday / Saturday when the ball was involved ? I'm told he is not here as there has been a clerical error TWICE which I find hard to beleive ... But now we are in a situation where we need to beat dewsbury on Wednesday backing up from a very physical game today. I haven't any confidence in these YouTube clips we find of players, you look at latu and Horton from their clips over the past seasons ... They look totally different players on DP today... I know latu has been injured but Horton was laid out for 15 minutes behind the posts, had he been injured surely he would have been given assistance by the physio... But they just left him to it .

We aren't benefitting from DR what so ever, yes it's there when we need it but I think it should only be used when we have injuries, we need a side that's training together that plays together, nothing will be more demoralizing as a player to train all week then have your place taken by a guy coming up on a Saturday morning and up to press there has only been jordan james and Gelling that have actually done anything in a Town shirt while on DR .. They're only here for game time .

Best thing we can do is get Doran for the season and get them playing regular with those two at halves .. And if they're struggling we need to find a ball playing 13 to take the pressure off, it doesn't have to be paul Scunthorpe .. Just some one who takes the pressure off the two halves and gives us another option.

A lot of people who were in the "no need to panic" brigade seem to be very quiet now... I made reference on many occasions the importance of getting a halfback in to partner carl forber, and that was when we had Lupton around, everyone said I was talking ###### and that it was all under control, now were 5 games in and he's still not here, it was muted that doran was coming on a season long loan ... Which has turned out to be shorter, but why didn't we get him in on loan from Christmas? At least having him train with the side Thursday / Saturday when the ball was involved ? I'm told he is not here as there has been a clerical error TWICE which I find hard to beleive ... But now we are in a situation where we need to beat dewsbury on Wednesday backing up from a very physical game today. I haven't any confidence in these YouTube clips we find of players, you look at latu and Horton from their clips over the past seasons ... They look totally different players on DP today... I know latu has been injured but Horton was laid out for 15 minutes behind the posts, had he been injured surely he would have been given assistance by the physio... But they just left him to it .

We aren't benefitting from DR what so ever, yes it's there when we need it but I think it should only be used when we have injuries, we need a side that's training together that plays together, nothing will be more demoralizing as a player to train all week then have your place taken by a guy coming up on a Saturday morning and up to press there has only been jordan james and Gelling that have actually done anything in a Town shirt while on DR .. They're only here for game time .

Best thing we can do is get Doran for the season and get them playing regular with those two at halves .. And if they're struggling we need to find a ball playing 13 to take the pressure off, it doesn't have to be paul Scunthorpe .. Just some one who takes the pressure off the two halves and gives us another option.

I am one of those who you say have gone quiet so I'll tell you where I stand. At the fans forum Mark said it might be April before his visa was through so it's no big surprise. I still trust our board and Phil to get it right, I believe that other halves were targeted and for one reason or another fell through so we are where we are.

Is not a contradiction to say that we need the overseas signing ASAP even though you don't have any confidence in these YouTube videos. If all Phil has done is watch a video highlights package before signing them then we are in trouble but I doubt that's true.

Maybe the agreement is to have Jamie on month loans because it's what Wigan want. He played for them early on and got injured which is why we probably couldn't get him earlier. To say we are not benefiting from DR at all is laughable when we are struggling with injuries. As is saying only Gelling and James have done anything in a town shirt. Jack Murphy for a start will be really impressed with your comments.

We aren't far off beating teams like Sheffield and will be in a fight to stay up ironically because the likes of Haven and Hunslet are benefiting from using DR to improve their squad. Hopefully 2 points on Wednesday but even if it isn't I still won't be panicking - sorry!

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

I am one of those who you say have gone quiet so I'll tell you where I stand. At the fans forum Mark said it might be April before his visa was through so it's no big surprise. I still trust our board and Phil to get it right, I believe that other halves were targeted and for one reason or another fell through so we are where we are.

Is not a contradiction to say that we need the overseas signing ASAP even though you don't have any confidence in these YouTube videos. If all Phil has done is watch a video highlights package before signing them then we are in trouble but I doubt that's true.

Maybe the agreement is to have Jamie on month loans because it's what Wigan want. He played for them early on and got injured which is why we probably couldn't get him earlier. To say we are not benefiting from DR at all is laughable when we are struggling with injuries. As is saying only Gelling and James have done anything in a town shirt. Jack Murphy for a start will be really impressed with your comments.

We aren't far off beating teams like Sheffield and will be in a fight to stay up ironically because the likes of Haven and Hunslet are benefiting from using DR to improve their squad. Hopefully 2 points on Wednesday but even if it isn't I still won't be panicking - sorry!

So the only reason you will be in a relegation fight is because we are using DR to improve our squad.... yet you are not ???.

while the Widnes players put a shift in yesterday it was Fox,JPB,Dion aiyre ben Davis and Tyler hepi who all stood out,Phil Joseph being the pick of the DR player of which there were 4 one of who whet off injured after 5 mins and didn't return .

How many from Wigan did you have ?.

DR is a complete farce and should be screpped but as they say them the rules everyone has to live by ,you can't use it then decry it when others do.What. ever the benefits in the long term DR does more harm to the game than good

Archived