Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Parksider

Are we destroying the Championship?

I packed in before the season started Trojan. I get my RL fix from SKY.

Not be long before your sat at Headingley,having tea and tapping the back of your hand with El angela ,parksider & scotchy

The Championship was ruined when you could be Champions 2 years in a row  and it meant nothing, not convinced by this new format but at least there is a carrot dangled at the end of it.

I agree, and at the same time another team won the northen rail cup, and hit the jackpot

From a Batley fan's point if view, crowds are up, there's some optimism and a tank load of excitement around this season.

Would I make any changes? Yes. I'd still have BP, get rid if DR and reintroduce the 'Northern Rail Cup'.

These are my opinions.

SIGNATURE

Where have you been this last nigh on 20 years. SKY/SL don't want to give the Championship a bean. End of.

Its not upto sky which clubs get what money!

ALL THE TV MONEY SHOULD BE PUT INTO A POT AND DISHED OUT...

like i said...

theres enough money to give ESL the full salary cap money...

Theres enough money to give all the championship club a decent crack at promotion

Theres enough money to give all league one clubs a decent crack at funding & developing new (and old) teams..

Ive just got the calculator out...the new tv deal,all in,is worth £36.44m a year...

That could have been split by the RFL like so..

ESL £1.8m (£21.6m) thats only £25k less than what they will actually get..

Championship £750k (£9m)

League one £250k (£3.5m)

That leaves £2.34m for the RFL to play with..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Why not just split it equally between all the clubs and the RFL, leaving them each with 931,794.87.

Then watch the game grow.

Agree with this. This should allow all clubs to operate on a full time basis as a bare minimum, increasing the professional playing pool. This also puts the emphasis on the clubs to grow their own revenue so that they can spend up to the salary cap whatever that is set at.

Whilst there is inequality the structure does not make sense and it is a fudge.

What exactly do the Championship fans want?

Licensing was no good because there was no carrot at the end.

P&R was no good because of the yoyo effect. It also usually left a full time club in the league.

Now the 3x8 is no good because there are two quality teams in the league (ironically, the best team by far was in the league last year anyways)? There's no chance of promotion (even though we haven't seen the end of the year yet)?

Seriously, I'm reading it as moaning for the sake of moaning from many. How anyone can criticise this system because of there being two strong teams, yet one of them were in the league last season, and the other nearly got beaten by a club who isn't considered a contender for the top four? The third "big club" is in the bottom half!

We're even getting calls for "first past the post" systems! It's good to know everyone else's season will finish around the 12 week mark when they're too far from relegation but can't realistically reach the top.

Those that are just happy being in a second tier and don't care about promotion (they just want to compete for a trophy) can do in the Championship Shield. Or are we saying that's not good enough and we should take all the bigger and more ambitious clubs away so they can feel like the best?

In really surprised by some of the Featherstone fans, who seem unhappy basically because they're not the top dogs anymore. That isn't the systems fault.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Agree with this. This should allow all clubs to operate on a full time basis as a bare minimum, increasing the professional playing pool. This also puts the emphasis on the clubs to grow their own revenue so that they can spend up to the salary cap whatever that is set at.

Whilst there is inequality the structure does not make sense and it is a fudge.

How are SL clubs meant to attract and retain the elite talent to the sport on such a minimal amount of funding? It creates a downward spiral. Less elite comp, less TV funding, less to pass around, less funding for the top, even less elite comp...

SL is the cash cow. To suggest giving more than half of their funding away that they earn from screening their games is ridiculous.

Why not just split it equally between all the clubs 

Agree with this. 

Whilst there is inequality the structure does not make sense.

Clearly this is "What Championship fans want".

The lifeline of a share of the SKY money.

Refusing them looks like it is destroying them.

How are SL clubs meant to attract and retain the elite talent to the sport on such a minimal amount of funding? It creates a downward spiral. Less elite comp, less TV funding, less to pass around, less funding for the top, even less elite comp...

SL is the cash cow. To suggest giving more than half of their funding away that they earn from screening their games is ridiculous.

The part where he said to emphasise the clubs grow their own revenue. It is a business after all.

SIGNATURE

If the RFL had divvyed up the tv money properly and fairly then most of the championship clubs could have gone fulltime..

Oldham were given bags of SL money, turned pro, they now play in a farmers field as near amateurs.

Its not about TV money.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

By increasing crowds, sponsorship and looking into other money making revenue streams.

I'm not a fan of the new structure, but it's something the useless Nigel Wood has introduced so the best way to make a success of it is to ensure all clubs operate on a full time basis. Anything else is a pointless exercise.

I've said already the best way forward is a top division which all clubs can apply for should they meet a minimum criteria. This opens the way for clubs like Toulouse to develop in the top flight without the threat of relegation undoing any good work whilst not closing the door on any ambitious championship clubs wanting a crack at the top level. As the league grows conferences can be introduced to keep the number of games down.

I know Trinity are favourite to drop down but we're not there yet!

Shock , horror , people want money without working for it , maybe we could organise something similar and call it something , maybe ' Lottery ' ? , nah never take off , daft idea

You have already told us that you went to the Leigh and Bradford games

But if you have decided to watch RL on SKY and not go to Featherstone Rovers then your a victim of the market forces and manipulation of the games governing body, as will be Trojan if he follows your apparent lead.

Reducing Championship clubs to Oldham's level clears the way for SKY/Superleague to move in on championship audiences in championship areas. As we can see one in four fans attended championship games in 1996 when SL started now only one in eight attended last year.

This decline is set to be masked by Bradford Bulls fanbase this year and Blake Solly has badly showed himself up to be a Hype and PR merchant declaring everything to be a solid success after the first week.

Respectfully, you two are doing a sterling job of accelerating Featherstone Rovers demise (then what chance do lesser championship clubs have?) whilst at the same time continuing to fill SKY's coffers so they can continue to fund only Superleague.

Pick and choose games parky. I said I wouldn't attend a game before the season started but I forced myself to go watch those 2 games. I can honestly say I won't be going back anytime soon. Like I say I'm very happy watching SL rugby for my fix in a nice warm room lol.

The part where he said to emphasise the clubs grow their own revenue. It is a business after all.

How do they do that without funding? They've gone out and sought a TV deal that you're suggesting they give more than half away. If they got a big sponsorship deal, would lower league fans be demanding a slice of that too?

Why don't the lower league fans have to grow their business?

To ask a club at the top of the tree to produce, attract and retain the top stars in the game (in order to be able to call themselves elite) on a shoestring starter budget is just not realistic. They already can't do that with the money they have.

Funny how rl fans call for things to be given a chance to settle in, unless of course it is something they personally are not a fan of then it should be changed instantly and people are happy to write it off afte. A handful of games.

That's pretty much what happened when Licensing was introduced. People said it had failed before the first season had started because the crowd for the CC1 play off game between Salford & Crusaders wasn't very high. After about 1/2 a season the calls for change from certain people in the media got louder until it was abandoned. We were constantly told it was a failure and so started to believe it. In retrospect, some of those crowds for meaningless games seem pretty damn good and I haven't a clue what will happen to London now. 

The same thing will probably happen here until they change it again.

By increasing crowds, sponsorship and looking into other money making revenue streams.

Which would be an even greater task with less money to operate on at the beginning. They're struggling enough as it is tui achieve these aims. I don't see how reducing their budget will change this? Is there no emphasis on the Championship clubs to do the same? Because I think a League 1 club receiving nearly £1m a year won't need to do much else to operate!

I'm not a fan of the new structure, but it's something the useless Nigel Wood has introduced so the best way to make a success of it is to ensure all clubs operate on a full time basis. Anything else is a pointless exercise.

I think at the very least, it needs to be an aim for the Championship to build towards that in time. You've got to start somewhere. But they'll need to grow their operations too.

I've said already the best way forward is a top division which all clubs can apply for should they meet a minimum criteria. This opens the way for clubs like Toulouse to develop in the top flight without the threat of relegation undoing any good work whilst not closing the door on any ambitious championship clubs wanting a crack at the top level. As the league grows conferences can be introduced to keep the number of games down.

That was a nice dream, but it requires leadership, direction, investment and a high percentage of favorable support: things that weren't present last time and I doubt will be the next time.

Me personally, I like the thought of clubs being in control of their own destiny, and not someone in an office at Red Hall (who could be replaced by someone else with a different vision and different preferences).

That's pretty much what happened when Licensing was introduced. People said it had failed before the first season had started because the crowd for the CC1 play off game between Salford & Crusaders wasn't very high. After about 1/2 a season the calls for change from certain people in the media got louder until it was abandoned. We were constantly told it was a failure and so started to believe it. In retrospect, some of those crowds for meaningless games seem pretty damn good and I haven't a clue what will happen to London now.

The same thing will probably happen here until they change it again.

It could happen.

I don't recall so many fans or people in the media calling P&R a failure though in the same way as licensing? There really did feel like there was a sudden tear in the game when licensing was introduced.

2001-2007, crowds were growing, sponsorship was growing, TV revenue was growing. I just don't see why such a big change was needed.

Leigh have played a very strong Wigan team and the Bulls followed by London twice - if I was a Wakey or Cas or Widnes or Salford or Hull etc I would be pooping myself if caught in the 8's

I can't believe how you feel that any of this has any relevance to playing SL teams.

Bradford were an SL side last season, but were shorn of many of their better players at the season's end [and before], the team you beat on the opening day was a new team, and with just a very few of last season's SL side left, still not 'bedded in'. For this year, It still has some improvement in it and we still haven't yet seen all the new recruits. Same probably goes for London, though I confess they were at a lower level to start with. The important bit is that both are championship teams, nothing more and nothing less.

You played Wigan in a pre-season friendly - pah-leeese, a pre season friendly? I'm sorry mate but friendlies are 20 odd a side, with players on and off like a light bulb in the illuminations, they are for trying new combinations, giving some juniors a chance to play with the first team, seeing new players in a 'match' situation and just having a 'hit out' - the results are totally irrelevant to how teams will perform in serious games against SL teams.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Its not upto sky which clubs get what money!

like i said...

theres enough money to give ESL the full salary cap money...

Theres enough money to give all the championship club a decent crack at promotion

Theres enough money to give all league one clubs a decent crack at funding & developing new (and old) teams..

Ive just got the calculator out...the new tv deal,all in,is worth £36.44m a year...

That could have been split by the RFL like so..

ESL £1.8m (£21.6m) thats only £25k less than what they will actually get..

Championship £750k (£9m)

League one £250k (£3.5m)

That leaves £2.34m for the RFL to play with..

It kind of is, they pay x amount SL, that goes to SLE and is divided up between the shareholders of it, that's where the vast majority goes.

Also, some of the money from that 5 year deal has gone to pay for now, plus the RFL get one SL share per year, so SL's money is divided by 13 not 12. They also take some for negotiating the deal. When the RFL's share is taken out and the extra money for this year and next year is taken out, SL's headline figure of 142m over 5 years is closer to 110m.

That's just the numbers reason why that wont happen.

In principle though you have to ask why SL clubs whose salary cap hasn't moved for years, who are losing their best players to the NRL and RU, who can't bring the best players in and whose product many have argued has fallen in quality, should be expected to subsidise a league of different clubs going pro so they have a better chance of replacing them?

Why don't the lower league fans have to grow their business?

They do. And most lower league clubs do this brilliantly with either part time or volunteer business/marketing staff. Now if a salary was there for a full time staff member to carry this out, wouldn't it be fantastic?

SIGNATURE

SL clubs did grow their own revenue, they created a product that sky were willing to pay for.

Perhaps the onus should be on the championship clubs to create a product that people are willing to pay enough for and solve that problem themselves?

SL clubs did grow their own revenue, they created a product that sky were willing to pay for.

Perhaps the onus should be on the championship clubs to create a product that people are willing to pay enough for and solve that problem themselves?

SL clubs created rugby league?

Why is there such a difference between Super League fan's and a Rugby League fan's perspective on things?

SIGNATURE

Talking of the Championship, is there any news about future TV coverage for the division?

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)