5 Sept: Qualifiers - Halifax v Salford Red Devils KO 3pm (TV)

That's what I thought! It's that the left over framework from before then?

All part of the original framework from when they first started 15 years or so ago. Think when there was talk of the ground being privatised that they may have finished it off but doubt it'll happen while still owned by the council.

God, this game is frustrating! Halifax build great position time after time but cannot capitalise... in fact, they're worse than that: they concede tries when they're on the opposition line!

Where's that head banging on the wall emoticon...

shame, they have tried hard, they really havent handled the pace out wide

Halifax tried hard as ever but made so many basic errors and gave silly penalties away they had no chance to really to take the game to Salford. They struggled for speed outwide. Scoreline flattered Salford I thought who took the chances that came well. Halifax missed the speed and dynamic of Ben Johnson in the halfback and young Joe Martin at Fullback went well on debut. This year is very much a year of finding what you need to do to beat a SL club on a week to week basis for the Championship clubs. Salford defence doesnt look that good and Halifax scored 28 points and could and should have been more. Niall Evalds scoring a hattrick against his hometown team went well for Salford and Hansen went through alot of work. But Salford allowed Fax to offload alot and failed to shut them down. 

Relieved we got that win. We should beat Sheffield at home next week and that will put us on 8 points, which should guarantee at least a place in the 'do-or-die' game. I'd really like us to avoid that, though, as I don't trust us to perform in a game like that. Realistically, I can't see us beating either Widnes or Hull KR away, so I reckon we're a certainty for the decider.

Oh, and well done Halifax. The radio Manchester commentary suggested the scoreline flattered us and you caused us severe problems at times.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Salford can't get away with a we'll score more than you strategy against a better side. Credit to Halifax who gave it a shot, but the result was never really in doubt.

Bit more like a team today, Salford.  What they need to do now is prepare to the nth degree for the play off game.  Bradford will be licking their lips at playing them again.

Archived