SL Grand Final must sell out

IM2

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds have sold out their entire Grand Final allocation already!

http://www.therhinos.co.uk/m/news/27542.php

just seen that on FB and a Wigan fan posted pfft we sold ours out on Saturday ! Aren't we alright heh ?

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I suppose it was inevitable.

A game that to my knowledge has always sold out not selling out this year will in no way be a bad thing or indicative of any kind of downward spiral for the sport. It couldn't possibly be.

well it doesnt help when your knowledge is wrong as your starting position

well it doesnt help when your knowledge is wrong as your starting position

And here starts the floundering around with statistics etc.

I'm interested in when the traditional English fanbase admit that SL has a problem.

When our champs are humiliated 48-0 at home by the Aussie champs away from home in their off-season? No.

When the majority of our best players are lost to NRL or union? No.

When crowds across the regular season and into the post-season fall? No.

When Leeds massacre Hull KR 50-0 in the Challenge Cup final highlighting the gulf that is all too plain between our top 3 or 4 sides and the rest thanks to the P&R system? No.

When the sport's blue riband game (the Grand Final) fails to sell out and perhaps based on what some of you are saying falls short by about 15-20K? No.

So....when?

When it becomes semi-pro? (2 years maximum)

And here starts the floundering around with statistics etc.

When the sport's blue riband game (the Grand Final) fails to sell out and perhaps based on what some of you are saying falls short by about 15-20K? No.

what are you talking about?

You stated this game is always a sellout. It isnt.

So if it doesn't sell out by more than it hasn't sold out by before will this be a worry do you think?

Or can we blame the Rugby World Cup or football or the signs of the zodiac or something?

of course it would be a worry, but im not gonna spend time debating something that hasnt happened. You are just making things up. The only official link here is that Leeds have sold out, and it doesnt look like they are getting another batch. That has to be positive.

So if it doesn't sell out by more than it hasn't sold out by before will this be a worry do you think?

Or can we blame the Rugby World Cup or football or the signs of the zodiac or something?

I don't think you get the fact that it hasn't sold out many times and sometimes by a significant percentage. The highest we've ever had is 72,500 which must be close to capacity (75,000 is the official). However, we've had it at 63,000 in recent memory, which is more than 10% of seats empty.

It also doesn't help your attempt at credible doom mongering when you can't even get a simple result right (39-0, not 48-0).

of course it would be a worry, but im not gonna spend time debating something that hasnt happened. You are just making things up. The only official link here is that Leeds have sold out, and it doesnt look like they are getting another batch. That has to be positive.

The reason I joined the thread was that several people were saying that it wouldn't be a problem if only 60K tickets were sold. That was the point I tackled. You don't agree with that and that's fine (and sensible). Of course I'm not going to predict how many turn up. But I'm saying that if there are traditional fans who would be happy with 60 or even 70K for this game then the game has a big problem. That problem would be "aspirations to mediocrity".

The reason I joined the thread was that several people were saying that it wouldn't be a problem if only 60K tickets were sold. That was the point I tackled. You don't agree with that and that's fine (and sensible). Of course I'm not going to predict how many turn up. But I'm saying that if there are traditional fans who would be happy with 60 or even 70K for this game then the game has a big problem. That problem would be "aspirations to mediocrity".

I'm not going. Does that mean that I aspire to mediocrity or simply don't respond to dog-whistles?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

thats not actually true, again. At best you are poor with your facts, at worst you are just a liar.

Ill give you benefit of the doubt, but there are not several people on this thread saying 60k is fine. Only two posts mention this number, and one was a pee take.

but let me get this right, 70k isnt good enough? And anyone happy with a 70k crowd means the game has a big problem?

Fair enough. The memory isn't what it was.

A moot point though.

Not really as South Sydney beat Brisbane by a similar margin in their next game and also beat Canterbury by a similar scoreline in their next one. It's called sport.

If you can use that game as a point surely I can use that England's 2nd best team this season is as good as the best 2 in the NRL over 80 minutes as they drew with Brisbane?

We don't sell Old Trafford out every year, but I think selling 65k is a respectable attendance in my honest opinion. People like you are the problem we have in the sport and why we are held back. Shout very loud when moaning and putting a negative vibe on the sport but not have any solutions.

We get 65k next week for example, what do you suggest the RFL does to improve it the year after?

I have suggested on another thread that perhaps what the RFL should do is, if they feel, by about Wednesday, that the game will not sell out, offer disgruntled England RU fans - alreadt committed to coming to Manchester for what is now a meaningless RUWC game - the chance to get a discount on SL GF tickets (10, 15, 20%?), as long as they hand in their RUWC ones, as they enter the ground.  Who knows, it might bring in a few hundred potential converts!  Just a thought!

If you can use that game as a point surely I can use that England's 2nd best team this season is as good as the best 2 in the NRL over 80 minutes as they drew with Brisbane?

You can if you want but you won't really be convincing anyone (other than the hopelessly biased).

Anybody who has seen both comps and reacts to them objectively knows that SL is semi-pro by comparison.

but let me get this right, 70k isnt good enough? And anyone happy with a 70k crowd means the game has a big problem?

Well I agree with the OP that the GF should sell out.

The GF should also under no circumstances ever be played at Old Trafford due to the limitations with the in-goal and touchlines, which are frankly dangerous. But that's another story.

Well I agree with the OP that the GF should sell out.

The GF should also under no circumstances ever be played at Old Trafford due to the limitations with the in-goal and touchlines, which are frankly dangerous. But that's another story.

Out of interest, where would you play it? Every year since 2001 the attendance has been above 60 000 unless we're prepared for less than that I think we would be limited to Wembley, Twickenham, The Millennium Stadium or Murrayfield if its not to be Old Trafford.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

You can if you want but you won't really be convincing anyone (other than the hopelessly biased).

Anybody who has seen both comps and reacts to them objectively knows that SL is semi-pro by comparison.

Wait so you can use the South Sydney v St Helens game to show that the NRL is much more superior but I can't use the Brisbane v Wigan game to show that they aren't that far apart at the top of the division. Well if you say so.

How can you even comment on SL you said 2 years a go that you refuse to watch another game? The thing is you don't look at things objectively because your team got beat 82 - 6 a few years ago and gave up on them.

They're both very entertaining and good examples of the best sport on the planet. Yes Australia has better players they have more money, it's a more popular sport within their country also hence they produce more players. Nobody you ever debate with on the threads you de rail states super league is a higher standard than the NRL. I enjoy both leagues so every weekend I have sometimes 7 games of professional RL a week on the TV to watch, it's a pity you can't do the same.

The SL grand final next week shall be superb. 2 very good sides. The standard next week shall be not a million miles off what we saw in the NRL one this morning. We will likely get 65k at least in the middle of a rugby union world cup with a game being played at the same location. I think that is a decent effort.

Archived