Bêtes Noires - what annoys you most about the world and it's inhabitants?

The Pennines were erected specifically to remove the blot on the the view westwards from Yorkshire.

With the added bonus of a nice rain shadow to the east.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our sodding woodburner.

Hideous thing that gives out no heat at all and is not anywhere close to being as nice as the open fire we had before that Mrs Shadow had taken out and replaced.

I hate it with a passion.

agree entirely. Sole form of heating when we moved to France: a 4 kw Godin Regency and an 9.5 kw Godin Jurasienne, both very very expensive, and worked a treat. but after two years ,the slight puff of smoke emitted each time the doors were opened added up to 720 days of dirt and dust everywhere. Required wood of exact moisture content and length to perform. Installed oil central heating in the end.

Required wood of exact moisture content and length to perform. Installed oil central heating in the end.

Pity. if you'd only stayed at home in Lancashire, you'd have been able to chuck a witch on.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Pity. if you'd only stayed at home in Lancashire, you'd have been able to chuck a witch on.

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 1 month later...

Modern "journalism." I say "journalism" because so much modern media is populated by "commentators" and "contributors." Here is a Grauniad piece written by a journalist and an investigative journalist. If you note the big infographic in the middle of the article you'll see that the trend in 7 countries is completely reversed in Australia yet they don't even ask why.

Maybe I'm just too math/science oriented but you can't use a data set with such an obvious outlier without addressing the outlier.

Modern "journalism." I say "journalism" because so much modern media is populated by "commentators" and "contributors." Here is a Grauniad piece written by a journalist and an investigative journalist. If you note the big infographic in the middle of the article you'll see that the trend in 7 countries is completely reversed in Australia yet they don't even ask why.

Maybe I'm just too math/science oriented but you can't use a data set with such an obvious outlier without addressing the outlier.

Is there a link missing here? If so it's not only sloppy journalists it's sloppy critics too.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

First World problems and the pathetic outrage that follows them

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-10/telstra-tweets-mother-to-show-child-outside-world/7236324

I would love to send her my reply and was almost tempted to join Twitter just for that purpose:

Dear self-absorbed #####,

On behalf of the half a million Syrians whose homes have been destroyed and families killed, I just had to tell you how sorry I feel that you were treated so poorly. If only the 6 million children under the age of 5 who died in 2015 could have known how hard your life has been, I'm sure they would have welcomed death, rather than risk the indignity you have suffered.

Archived