8 of London bronco squad have come through youth system

I've always supported London and to see this London team with 8 home grown products in the first team squad for 2016 is inspirational

It's nothing new. London developed kids have always got game time under the SL level. Skolars were far more competitive when they had the arrangement with Quins RL/Broncos.....the real test will be how many of these 8 will step up to SL standard? We fielded our own developed players a few times in 2014 and look how that ended.

Skolars suffered from the dual reg system, as other clubs have. Too many dropped in for a game at the expense of someone else. Not sure they were stronger as a result. Skolars might take a couple for the longer term but not just as and when.

it's good the youth are coming through and the depth in the team should mean they are brought forward rather an expectation that they will carry the team.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Junior development is the future of British Rugby League not have beens and never was players from the NRL.

I see that some Super League league clubs are still going down the road of failure with their imports. When will they ever learn?

Of those 8 at london, how many would get near a SL outfit? London Broncos are a mid table 2nd tier side with little chance of getting back to SL under the current system......and it was SL rugby that tempted LMS, Clubb etc.

Of those 8 at london, how many would get near a SL outfit? London Broncos are a mid table 2nd tier side with little chance of getting back to SL under the current system......and it was SL rugby that tempted LMS, Clubb etc.

I would have no idea, but my point was Junior development is the future of British Rugby League, not has beens and never was players from the NRL.

As you know its very expensive to bring over players from Australia and NZ and house them and their families.

One prime example of that at London was Mark "Spud" Carroll. His wages and expense's alone for one year would have probably kept a junior development officer in work for about 5 years. Carroll even went back to Australia and played SOO.

There have been others at other clubs who have just taken the money and run, not just your club.

If you ever have the opportunity to speak to a current CEO of a Super League club about his clubs past failures with certain,ex NRL players even you might be gobsmacked.

Junior development is the future of British Rugby League not have beens and never was players from the NRL.

I see that some Super League league clubs are still going down the road of failure with their imports. When will they ever learn?

Junior development in Britain is vital of course but it is floundering and despite best efforts (all SL clubs have run academies for years now) numbers of real talents are low.

It's nothing new. London developed kids have always got game time under the SL level. the real test will be how many of these 8 will step up to SL standard? We fielded our own developed players a few times in 2014 and look how that ended.

That's the point, juniors have to come up to SL standard or their clubs are stuffed.

Which means that clubs have to turn to NRL and overseas imports, because although they do contain a few turkeys, on the whole they are of a much higher standard than the english juniors they are effectively replacing.

Junior development in Britain is vital of course but it is floundering and despite best efforts (all SL clubs have run academies for years now) numbers of real talents are low.

That's the point, juniors have to come up to SL standard or their clubs are stuffed.

Which means that clubs have to turn to NRL and overseas imports, because although they do contain a few turkeys, on the whole they are of a much higher standard than the english juniors they are effectively replacing.

Get rid of licensing won't help the development of British juniors, and on top of that Hull FC and Hull KR are going to run a joint academy, which seems to me the easy way out and lazy.

Well, I think it's time to revive some sort of representive RL in Britain. 
A match involving a "London" representive team - with the best players produced by London RL system - against the like of Cumbria etc. would be worth watching. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Get rid of licensing won't help the development of British juniors, and on top of that Hull FC and Hull KR are going to run a joint academy, which seems to me the easy way out and lazy.

Their decision is based on the big numbers of 16 year olds who join the two academies against the number that make the Superleague grade. Their decision is have one stronger academy rather than two weaker ones to maximise the level they play at. This strategy is also part mirrored by the return to reserve grade so kids who don't quite make it can be kept on longer to see if they develop later.

It's all part of the serious shortage of quality junior players. As Castleford's Steve Gill says less and less kids are playing, as HKR's Neil Hudgell says there is a shortage of English RL talent. 

We can run this myth that "overseas players are keeping out promising British players" if we want, as can be seen by people still calling places "hot beds of Rugby League" when they are certainly not that at all. 

On topic yes it's great that London Broncos can field a good number of London players, but at the level they are playing at it's easy to do that. If they dropped to CC1 no doubt they could scrape by on an all London team.

Their decision is based on the big numbers of 16 year olds who join the two academies against the number that make the Superleague grade. Their decision is have one stronger academy rather than two weaker ones to maximise the level they play at. This strategy is also part mirrored by the return to reserve grade so kids who don't quite make it can be kept on longer to see if they develop later.

It's all part of the serious shortage of quality junior players. As Castleford's Steve Gill says less and less kids are playing, as HKR's Neil Hudgell says there is a shortage of English RL talent. 

We can run this myth that "overseas players are keeping out promising British players" if we want, as can be seen by people still calling places "hot beds of Rugby League" when they are certainly not that at all. 

On topic yes it's great that London Broncos can field a good number of London players, but at the level they are playing at it's easy to do that. If they dropped to CC1 no doubt they could scrape by on an all London team.

Playing numbers are up.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/33357/participation-increases-are-testament-to

That may be true across the board with touch RL being well up and adding to the overall figure.

But regular competitive junior RL for ages 12-16 is the group that feeds the academies that train the potential professionals of tommorrow.

Is that group significantly up??

That may be true across the board with touch RL being well up and adding to the overall figure.

But regular competitive junior RL for ages 12-16 is the group that feeds the academies that train the potential professionals of tommorrow.

Is that group significantly up??

That i don't know. I did try and find out and I'm waiting for replies.

That i don't know. I did try and find out and I'm waiting for replies.

Thank you very much for that answer.

I can only go on what people in the game say about the junior game and what I see in terms of the numbers and spread of teams. Some people don't like the facts and get all uppity about their "Amateur hot beds of Rugby League". 

London's reduced stature means that they can compete on lower budgets and find players to fit their playing level and be a match for northern sides.  They used to match many sides when they were Fulham and Crusaders, the beauty of this now is they are doing it with London lads.

I wonder if any London leaguie can comment on where these lads are coming from. The Broncos academy (is that still going) was struggling last time out? Do RU players get trials? 

As is the case here...

I thought better of my highlighting this, given certain parties infatuation with me at present on here. 

The Game in London, whilst we had a SL side at the top of the pyramid and a number of dedicated development officers showed real promise, but since the DO numbers have been reduced and the Broncos are a shadow of their former selves, getting any long term traction will prove difficult....as will convincing the kids who play the game in great numbers to continue in to open age competitions.

Archived