Eurosceptics force Cameron to give ministers free rein on EU referendum

David Cameron was forced to announce early that ministers will be given free rein to campaign on either side in the EU referendum after a manoeuvre by hardline Eurosceptic cabinet ministers.
Chris Grayling and Theresa Villiers, who are planning to join Iain Duncan Smith in campaigning to leave the EU, told the prime minister on Monday that he should clarify the position that ministers will be able to take during the campaign.
In a meeting in Downing Street, Grayling is understood to have argued that the referendum is a matter of such vital importance that voters should hear both sides of the argument from ministers.
Grayling, the leader of the Commons, also called for ministers to be allowed to campaign on either side from the moment the prime minister concludes the negotiations in Europe, rather than having to wait for the short period of the formal campaign. Grayling was pleased when Cameron conceded the point to the veteran Eurosceptic Tory MP Peter Bone in a Commons debate on Europe.

So it isn't just Jeremy Corbyn who has no control over his party on major issues, then... ;)

David Cameron was forced to announce early that ministers will be given free rein to campaign on either side in the EU referendum after a manoeuvre by hardline Eurosceptic cabinet ministers.
Chris Grayling and Theresa Villiers, who are planning to join Iain Duncan Smith in campaigning to leave the EU, told the prime minister on Monday that he should clarify the position that ministers will be able to take during the campaign.
In a meeting in Downing Street, Grayling is understood to have argued that the referendum is a matter of such vital importance that voters should hear both sides of the argument from ministers.
Grayling, the leader of the Commons, also called for ministers to be allowed to campaign on either side from the moment the prime minister concludes the negotiations in Europe, rather than having to wait for the short period of the formal campaign. Grayling was pleased when Cameron conceded the point to the veteran Eurosceptic Tory MP Peter Bone in a Commons debate on Europe.

So it isn't just Jeremy Corbyn who has no control over his party on major issues, then... ;)

Quite so. in my view, He should have enforced Cabinet collective responsibility and fired any offenders. if it forces a split, then so be it. Ken Clarke is right.

Quite so. in my view, He should have enforced Cabinet collective responsibility and fired any offenders. if it forces a split, then so be it. Ken Clarke is right.

The only way to deal with the outliers of policy is to paint them as outsiders.  For example, John Redwood's ridiculing mostly came from Tory internal spin and press releases that just took him from a slightly outworldly figure into a figure of ridicule when he has all the skills, talent and built-in nastiness of Tebbit but without the backing of the party leader.

By allowing the outliers to have the power-base of a ministerial position to argue their point they get credibility they shouldn't be allowed to have.  A seriously poor move by Cameron that he hopes will stop the party disintegrating.  If I were him I'd have told them to suck it and either resign their cabinet position or toe the collective responsibility line, I'd never have allowed such a divisive issue to split my Cabinet.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Bye Bye EU; Bye bye bureaucrats.

London Calling, to the far away towns
Now war is declared, and battle come down
London Calling, to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls
London Calling, now don't look to us
Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust

The Ice Age is coming, the sun zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river

B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The EU is an issue that cuts across political party boundary lines.

To try and pretend otherwise would be more divisive than accepting the reality.

To have a free vote is the only approach that makes any sense.

While there are labour, and even lib dem MP's who support an EU the conservative party is far more fractured over this issue.

Wilson allowed this in the 1970s and got away with it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 3 weeks later...

Archived