Sam Tomkins guest of honour at Cap Cha

IM2

I'm glad the majority on here seem to get it. This Friday will be my fifth Capital Challenge out of the last six, and IMO it feels much more of an event now that Wigan are there - they seem to buy into it in a way the Bronco's never did.

Rugby league tends to do events like this half-heartedly or not at all. Thankfully, Skolars do it very well indeed and I can only echo what others have said that - despite it being a pre-season game watched by a few hundred people around a roped-off field - it feels like an event. It's become the start of the season for me. Besides, it's a good excuse for a few beers around London. Got a great little pub crawl lined up around Bloomsbury and Clerkenwell, although it won't be the same now the Gunmakers has changed hands.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad the majority on here seem to get it. This Friday will be my fifth Capital Challenge out of the last six, and IMO it feels much more of an event now that Wigan are there - they seem to buy into it in a way the Bronco's never did.

Rugby league tends to do events like this half-heartedly or not at all. Thankfully, Skolars do it very well indeed and I can only echo what others have said that - despite it being a pre-season game watched by a few hundred people around a roped-off field - it feels like an event. It's become the start of the season for me. Besides, it's a good excuse for a few beers around London. Got a great little pub crawl lined up around Bloomsbury and Clerkenwell, although it won't be the same now the Gunmakers has changed hands.

excellent sentiment. to me it shows what can be done with some imagination and history behind it!

300 X £110 for the sit down. £33,000. £48,000 and countin.

It's a far better day than you give it credit for.

alas, take £4,500 off as the sit down includes your ticket, back to £43,500 and counting.....still got  £56,500 to find from an event attended by about 950......or do you think a sponsor will be paying 60quid a head?????

good maths. amazing how people can't enjoy a good news story

sponsors - top one £20k bottom £5k including Nasdaq, BNP Paribas, WisdomTree, Cantor, Pcubed, Irish Stock Exchange and Capita. Not bad

I never said I didn't enjoy a good news story, I just questioned your outlandish claims........if you think the top tier sponsor is paying £20k then you need your bumps feeling.

The sponsors are there mostly at the invitation of the Skolars owner and usually have a stall or show-stand offering their wares to those from the city who they have invited to the game.....As I say, enjoy it if you're going but don't peddle your inane made up claims of 100k income from the event and expect them not to be exposed as made up drivel!

alas, take £4,500 off as the sit down includes your ticket, back to £43,500 and counting.....still got £56,500 to find from an event attended by about 950......or do you think a sponsor will be paying 60quid a head?????

I never said I didn't enjoy a good news story, I just questioned your outlandish claims........if you think the top tier sponsor is paying £20k then you need your bumps feeling.

The sponsors are there mostly at the invitation of the Skolars owner and usually have a stall or show-stand offering their wares to those from the city who they have invited to the game.....As I say, enjoy it if you're going but don't peddle your inane made up claims of 100k income from the event and expect them not to be exposed as made up drivel!

It's been a few years since you attended then ;)

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

alas, take £4,500 off as the sit down includes your ticket, back to £43,500 and counting.....still got £56,500 to find from an event attended by about 950......or do you think a sponsor will be paying 60quid a head?????

I never said I didn't enjoy a good news story, I just questioned your outlandish claims........if you think the top tier sponsor is paying £20k then you need your bumps feeling.

How close to knowing the facts do you think IM2 is, or is he just the man off the Peckham Onnibus?

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Besides, it's a good excuse for a few beers around London. Got a great little pub crawl lined up around Bloomsbury and Clerkenwell, although it won't be the same now the Gunmakers has changed hands.

On this very important point, I always used to drink in The Master Gunner beforehand, but that appears to be some fancy gastro place called Finch's now. Disappointing.

What's the best bet along CIty Road these days?

good maths. amazing how people can't enjoy a good news story

sponsors - top one £20k bottom £5k including Nasdaq, BNP Paribas, WisdomTree, Cantor, Pcubed, Irish Stock Exchange and Capita. Not bad

I think it is fair to say that this and FNL pretty much keeps Skolars afloat financially. Hopefully the friendly against Broncos on the 30th will draw another decent crowd like last year with the added bonus that the club house will be open.

On this very important point, I always used to drink in The Master Gunner beforehand, but that appears to be some fancy gastro place called Finch's now. Disappointing.

What's the best bet along CIty Road these days?

I've never been that impressed by the City Road/Old Street. The Artillery Arms (Fullers), behind the HAC , via the Burial Ground, was always quite good. I found a nice pub last year called The Old Ivy House (Shepherd Neame) on Goswell Road, about 5-10 mins walk away towards Clerkenwell. Apparently, there is a wonderful community boozer (name unknown, but think it could be the Wenlock Arms) off the City Road in the direction of Essex Road station, but I've never been.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

I've never been that impressed by the City Road/Old Street. The Artillery Arms (Fullers), behind the HAC , via the Burial Ground, was always quite good. I found a nice pub last year called The Old Ivy House (Shepherd Neame) on Goswell Road, about 5-10 mins walk away towards Clerkenwell. Apparently, there is a wonderful community boozer (name unknown, but think it could be the Wenlock Arms) off the City Road in the direction of Essex Road station, but I've never been.

Cheers; some for the post-game notebook there. Will keep it simple pre-match as time is a bit tight so think I'll grab a swift one in the Angel before heading in.

It all seems a bit petty, some people on here attempting to do the maths behind an event, with the sole objective of knocking it. We'd be wrong to underestimate the potential of a game like the Capital Challenge. It's uniqueness is perhaps it's selling point. It's also worth noting that the purchasing power of the people and companies enjoying the hospitality of this event will be significantly greater than could be achieved by the "traditional" cap-in-hand sponsorship often chased by our established clubs.

There is a lot that can be gained by our traditional clubs by attempting to make an impact on the London market at all levels of the structure. All of our traditional Championship clubs will have some fanbase in the capital and probably in some surprising quarters and possibly of some influence. Clubs need to tap into this market, even if it is as simple as the club Chairman taking the local-lad-done-good for lunch pre-match when they play Broncos/Skolars.

All too often, in my experience, clubs set their sights very low. There is a "not for t'likes of us" attitude and a lack of expectation. In fairness, I've been out of the game for five years now, but my experience working with clubs at that level was more akin to Phoenix Nights than Friday Night Lights.

disques vogue

More than a bit petty.

It does everything it sets out to do, and does it well.

For the newbies I have taken, being able to see first hand at such close quarters the speed, athleticism and skill - even at that level - is an ideal way to sell the game. In some respects it beats watching TV as an intro to the game. You also get to hear the talking and better see what goes into organizing the teams...

its a superb day for RL

- top class sponsors

- just under 1000 people there in the heart of the worlds financial centre

- approx 10 years of history

- 6 school curtain raiser plus kids go to the bank of england museum before

- approx 300 hospitality guests

- probably more profile round this game than any other game in london bar CC & 4 nations this year. even then it could be argued

as to the venue. for me its superb, the bar areas is stacked full of history. England's oldest army regiment. artillery at the end of the pitch. also yes its a pitch and no stand but the grass is almost like a carpet.

i for one love it and given its growth and success so do many others. its unique in the game

Went to the Whisky Live event there a couple of years ago.

I can imagine it being a great afternoon for anybody who goes along.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Well said Jonty.

Barnaby, the expression "can't see the wood for the trees" was invented for you.

I simply questioned the claim of 6/figure income....I repeatedly said i enjoyed the event and hoped the same for those going. You choose to question my figures based on facts and accept the "what if"/scenario.....Fine, but don't ignore the positivity in my comments because it doesn't fit the opinion of me that you hold. For the record, london broncos received £30,000 for their shirt sponsorship in 2013 so questioning a claim of £50,000 for a stand alone event is quite valid

Anyone would think there was an agenda to suck any upbeat appraisal out of the thread by obsessing over disputed figures (provided by someone close to the truth) and using that to shoehorn any adverse comparisons that a poster can think of... There must be more to a life than that.

One of my favourite moments of the HAC games was when Manfredi had some under carriage issues - as he was walking past our group he complained to Gelling, describing what had happened to his crown jewels in choice industrial language. Fair to see, Mr Manfredi has been one to watch for them since...

Anyone would think there was an agenda to suck any upbeat appraisal out of the thread by obsessing over disputed figures (provided by someone close to the truth) and using that to shoehorn any adverse comparisons that a poster can think of... There must be more to a life than that.

....nope. I simply questioned the claim of a six figure income. I'll say it again....I really enjoyed the games I attended even though they were little more than a training run for the Broncos/Quins RL and it was an opportunity to catch up with other fans after the winter break and I hope everyone who attends this week has a great time......but you seem to ignore this repeated statement and concentrate on my questioning of quite questionable claims regarding the income. There are far more benefits to this event than immediate income as Ian Lenagan has quite obviously grasped, so there really was no need for the initial claim of 100,000 quid or more in income.

But the figure is being presented by someone close to the actual arrangements. Certainly closer than li'l ole NZ. It's the characteristic combination of the burning "need" to attack any figure at all that might show TGG in a good light, and the dismissal of superior views that Is peddled day after day after day.

Meanwhile, for those able to get hold of an accurate team sheet, look out for Bretherton and Shelford up front, Waterworth at 9 - looking like good cover for McIllorum at last, and Wells - a star in the making. Of course if Gelling plays we get all the fun of the fair (though he has a BMX rather than a collapsible car).

It's the only way to spend a Friday afternoon.

Cockneys and rugby league. Pah

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

But the figure is being presented by someone close to the actual arrangements. Certainly closer than li'l ole NZ. It's the characteristic combination of the burning "need" to attack any figure at all that might show TGG in a good light, and the dismissal of superior views that Is peddled day after day after day.

London Skolars and Hector would never publish figures...it's not their style. Furthermore, I have shown that the ticket and hospo income leaves a 56.5k shortfall on the claimed figure of 100k+......its just a search for the truth and reality.

I also notice youagain choose to attack my factually based stance and ignore my good wishes towards the attendees......maybe its you who needs to broaden your opinion and not look for attacks where there aren't any.....I simply pointed out the probability that £100,000 was a stretch

London Skolars and Hector would never publish figures...it's not their style. Furthermore, I have shown that the ticket and hospo income leaves a 56.5k shortfall on the claimed figure of 100k+......its just a search for the truth and reality.

I also notice youagain choose to attack my factually based stance and ignore my good wishes towards the attendees......maybe its you who needs to broaden your opinion and not look for attacks where there aren't any.....I simply pointed out the probability that £100,000 was a stretch

Oh dear oh dear... :)

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Archived