Featherstone Game

andyram

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not good to be nilled at home, but you don't need me to tell you that!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Positives today for us is that Workington (thanks Batley )Whitehaven, Swinton and Oldham have lost this weekend.

Negatives was that so called performance today.I know the ref wasn't the best,but there's no excuse fo us giving away silly pens for back chatting to the ref.Not really looked like scoring today,no ideas with the ball.

Go easy on us next Sunday Batley please.

Blame Morton for that !

No you can't blame him - he was sat in the stand with Heppy with his iphone, which appeared to be far more entertaining to him than the match. Wish I'd brought mine. Dewsbury never looked like scoring, although I doubt Morton would have made a positive difference.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

We were very poor on attack, kicking game was woeful, very indisciplined giving away stupid penalties, failing to complete, barely made a break all game. Defensively we did okay espcially considering we lost both Hale and Trout early on so down to two subs. But we gave Fev far too much ball and territory that it was bound to tell in the end which it did. We couldn't have made it much easier for hem if we tried. Their pack was much bigger and certainly making full use of their DR, but Fev weren't great, we just made them look great.

The DR situation needs to be formalised so that all teams are either DR or none are. I'd prefer none TBH but I guess if clubs want to act as part SL reserve teams, then that's up to them. It' strange that Fev can't field a reserve team but are happy to act as Rhinos reserve team. Guess it saves money developing your own players.

But for us it's now a relegation battle and we need to make sure we beat all those teams around us. To do that we need to drop Andy Kain, his marking is hopeless, quite how he's had a career as long as this whilst being unable to tackle is surprising. Glover can tackle better, kick better and run better. And get Wright back in place of Hemingway who never runs from acting half and tackles light.

You do fev a disservice..

Sharpy has got his squad.... big on attitude.... now he's got injured players back this team is thereabouts.....

A better team than last year.... by some

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I must confess to being baffled by today's game. We started brightly and with bags of enthusiasm and it really looked like it might be close; the fact that it wasn't can be explained by some factors but not all, and I firmly believe that the scoreline doesn't reflect the performance at all. Fev were worthy winners but not by such a margin.

The referee had an interesting game but wasn't responsible for the outcome. I personally felt that he was OK in the first half - he was positive and decisive - even if one or two calls might have looked questionable, but I think that went both ways. The sin-binning was deserved and Crookes was actually very lucky not to get sent off. In the second half, however, after about ten minutes the ref made a number of quite outrageous calls, compounded by regularly penalising our players for what looked like simply questioning him. I felt that he panicked a bit and took against us completely - this lasted for maybe ten minutes but clearly made a difference. This refereeing performance does lead me to question a number of similar occurrences this season in games where the decisions have seemed equally balanced and the suddenly veer off to penalise us for nothing time after time. The first time this happened was at the Oldham game but there have been other occasions almost as bad. My question is "why?" {I don't subscribe to the "RFL have always hated Dewsbury and instruct the referees" school of thought (some do!) but have come to the conclusion that something is happening out on the field that is turning the refs against us. What is it that our players are doing that is causing this? Only they know but it needs to stop.}

I think the Crooks sin-bin had a massive effect upon the outcome. We played with one man short during a period where we struggled to get any possession and this is clearly tiring, as seen towards the end. When we did have the ball we played to a simple pattern which could have been effective but unfortunately wasn't but, as always we didn't retain or respect possession sufficiently so were committed to constant defence. By the end of the game, not helped by losing two players to injury at key moments and having another ten minutes with only twelve men, the players were clearly exhausted. GM has a big job on his hands to pick them up and point them in the right direction for next Sunday - a game for which I really worry about the outcome.

One final point - I wonder if the players feel that they aren't sufficiently supported when at the end they come to the crowd to find only ten remaining. This could improve if the team didn't insist upon having a pow-wow in the middle of the pitch first (Austin could teach them a thing or two). Acknowledge the fans and we will do likewise; take us for granted and get what you deserve.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We were very poor on attack, kicking game was woeful, very indisciplined giving away stupid penalties, failing to complete, barely made a break all game. Defensively we did okay espcially considering we lost both Hale and Trout early on so down to two subs. But we gave Fev far too much ball and territory that it was bound to tell in the end which it did. We couldn't have made it much easier for hem if we tried. Their pack was much bigger and certainly making full use of their DR, but Fev weren't great, we just made them look great.

The DR situation needs to be formalised so that all teams are either DR or none are. I'd prefer none TBH but I guess if clubs want to act as part SL reserve teams, then that's up to them. It' strange that Fev can't field a reserve team but are happy to act as Rhinos reserve team. Guess it saves money developing your own players.

But for us it's now a relegation battle and we need to make sure we beat all those teams around us. To do that we need to drop Andy Kain, his marking is hopeless, quite how he's had a career as long as this whilst being unable to tackle is surprising. Glover can tackle better, kick better and run better. And get Wright back in place of Hemingway who never runs from acting half and tackles light.

We only fielded one Leeds player who we "regard as our own" since we've had him for nearly two seasons and that was Baldwinson.

Glover is injured, Wright (who's tackling also left a lot to desire) has left, Hemingway was the difference last week when we won.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

You do fev a disservice..

Sharpy has got his squad.... big on attitude.... now he's got injured players back this team is thereabouts.....

A better team than last year.... by some

Naah you're wrong, over-rated is coaching.

Last week London were rubbish according to their fans. Today they score 62. Today you blame everything bar giving Fev a little bit of credit. You should be OK next week by my calculations.

Give over Phil, it's called being a supporter! 

Last week London were rubbish according to their fans. Today they score 62. Today you blame everything bar giving Fev a little bit of credit. You should be OK next week by my calculations.

Indeed. That's now three weeks in a row that we (Fev) have won by a wide margin and all I have read on opposition forums is how the result was all down to how poor their own team was. I hope these coincidences of other teams mysteriously underperforming against us continue.

Indeed. That's now three weeks in a row that we (Fev) have won by a wide margin and all I have read on opposition forums is how the result was all down to how poor their own team was. I hope these coincidences of other teams mysteriously underperforming against us continue.

That's why they're opposition forums. No doubt if I were to scour the Fev forum I would find nothing but praise and applause for the opposition - am I right?

Eggsbloodyzactly

Fev didn't make Sykes kick the ball straight out twice, drop balls, show no invention on attack, fail to put one decent kick in near the line, make Andy Kain unable to tackle, make our full back make schoolboy errors or concede stupid penalties. Nor did Fev make Hale injure himself though the video will see whether Ellis was responsible for Trouts injury. You had plenty of penalties and two sin binnings to take advantage of and we were down to two subs early on so it's not really surprising you gradually wore us down.

We were desperately poor today, if you want to believe Fev are world beaters, that's your prerogative. If we want to say our team was poor as they have been for most of the season, then that's up to us. If there's any aspect of Dewsbury's play today which you thought was good, then post it.

if you want to believe Fev are world beaters, that's your prerogative.

Climb of this high horse.... nobody is suggesting anything of the sort.

But sharpy has towed with a ridiculous injury situation this season and now has almost a full squad to pick from.

A better team than last year .... by some.

I do hope you're using a faulty abacus, Phil. :)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Archived