24-26 Jun: The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

Absolute drivel from the Bulls. Out enthused yet again and final score flatters us. Expecting an absolute thumping next week, no chance of making the top 4 now imo

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't know amber,jukes will be looking to rest some players now and you owe us a kicking

We owed Fax more than one, look how that turned out!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I know Bradford had a couple missing but so did Fax and some of our most consistant performers like Manning. I expected us to fight but go down. Massive Massive win and the score flattered Bradford. Thats the last 4 games that Fax have beaten Bradford who are supposed to be a FT team. Cant see them beating Leigh and will be interesting to see the Fev game. Big win for Batley as well and sees Bradford slip out the top 4. This is going to go the last game of the season I think. Fax probably have to win 3 games and cant see them beating Leigh. Batley probably good odds to win all 4 games and top 4 finish. Bradford will not beat Leigh away. Whitehaven and Oldham should be wins but Fev is a tough game to finish on. Fev have it all to do and will do well to beat Batley, Halifax and Bradford

Halifax RLFC....25 + 144

Batley Bulldogs.25 +  75

Bradford...........24 + 215

Featherstone R.22 + 137  

HALIFAX- Swinton (A), Leigh (A) Featherstone (H) London (H)

BATLEY- Whitehaven (A) Featherstone (H) London (H), Swinton (A)

BRADFORD- Leigh (A) Whitehaven (H) Oldham (H) Featherstone (A)

FEATHERSTONE Workington (H), Batley (A) Halifax (A) Bradford (H)

Great result for Fax, although Fax fans will know that defeating Bradford only represents two points. :ph34r: 

Richard Marshall appears to have got the team progressing again through the season. Good to see Simon Grix has another game under his belt.

Great win for Leigh.

Expected this one to be within a score either way but it sounds as though we really dominated throughout.

28 - 0 up at half time left us in complete control and that win puts us a big step closer to winning the league for the 3rd year in a row!

Very happy Leyther tonight!

Joe Cobb

Joe Cobb

What about him?

Final penalty count was 8 - 9. Not sure that 1 extra penalty accounts for the 26 point winning margin or the fact that Leigh scored 7 tries to London's 2.

It was 28 - 0 at half time and I believe London were winning the penalty count at that point.Plus London forced 5 drop outs, had 4 sets gifted to them by knock ons and another 2 from forward passes in the 1st 40 mins. London actually had more attacking ball in the 1st half than Leigh did and yet went into the sheds 28 - 0 down.

Not sure you can blame that on Joe Cobb, although I eagerly await your attempt to do so.

Slightly depressed with the performance today. Lots of effort but poor structure on both defence and attack, no ruck control. Fax pack on top and two excellent halves running the show. We have a half back but refuse to pass to him. And largely because of that we cannot create any pressure at all because Danny Addy wants to be 'the man' and score off every play. We've then got Matty Blythe, who is fast morphing into a springer spaniel, on one side of the field, and maverick Kurt Haggerty on the other. It's no wonder we're not creating where it counts. It's all uncertainty, confusion, hesitation. Off-loads at a premium, handling errors a plenty.

Third game running we've lost a player in the opening minutes - this week Clough. Cataclysmic mistake by Pitts when the game was in the balance cost us the match I thought - belief sapped away after that. Strong performances from Pitts, Moss, Sidlow and Ryan.

Fax seemingly coming to the boil on time. Why Scott Murrell hasn't got a SL gig is beyond me.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

What about him?

Final penalty count was 8 - 9. Not sure that 1 extra penalty accounts for the 26 point winning margin or the fact that Leigh scored 7 tries to London's 2.

It was 28 - 0 at half time and I believe London were winning the penalty count at that point.Plus London forced 5 drop outs, had 4 sets gifted to them by knock ons and another 2 from forward passes. London actually had more attacking ball in the 1st half than Leigh did and yet went into the sheds 28 - 0 down.

Not sure you can blame that on Joe Cobb, although I eagerly await your attempt to do so.

It`s Paul Daniels chatting bubbles yet again.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

No doubt that Leigh will win the Championship, but a rumour doing the rounds suggests there could be salary cap problems coming there way.

Two current NRL players will be in before the 8's. Loads left on the cap and hitting form when it matters after a season at mainly 40% so far - clean your teeth that ###### hanging out is no good for your social life

There isn't.

As long as you show proof of funds with the RFL you can now spend up to SL salary cap level.

We are nowhere near SL salary cap level.

But Leigh seems to have spent a lot of money to have acquired the likes of Travis Burns, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Mickey Higham, Harrison Hansen, Cory Patterson, Reni Maitua, Gareth Hock and Lee Smith. It is almost a bottom 4 Super League squad.

London, with its mostly unknown players, did well to keep within 26 points of that team.

Also it is interesting that Toulouse, with a modest group of unknown non-NRL Antipodeans and a majority of completely unknown French players, could beat such a team (albeit narrowly) in the Challenge Cup.

But Leigh seems to have spent a lot of money to have acquired the likes of Travis Burns, Fui Fui Moi Moi, Mickey Higham, Harrison Hansen, Cory Patterson, Reni Maitua, Gareth Hock and Lee Smith. It is almost a bottom 4 Super League squad.

London, with its mostly unknown players, did well to keep within 26 points of that team.

Also it is interesting that Toulouse, with a modest group of unknown non-NRL Antipodeans and a majority of completely unknown French players, could beat such a team (albeit narrowly) in the Challenge Cup.

Toulouse for SL via the Championship 1 seems fitting or should we see Hull KR demoted having lost to Oldham?

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Toulouse are easily the best side Leigh have played this season.

We were well off the boil on that day but we have played a lot worse this season and still won.

They have some quality french players but the Aussies Kheirallah and Jon Ford are pure class. I would argue that Ford is the best opposition player I have seen this season by a distance.

Hopefully Leigh will get promoted this season but if we don't then I fully expect we will be encountering TO again next year. I would look forward to seeing how they cope at the LSV!

There isn't.

As long as you show proof of funds with the RFL you can now spend up to SL salary cap level.

We are nowhere near SL salary cap level.

You must be with the players you have.

Two current NRL players will be in before the 8's. Loads left on the cap and hitting form when it matters after a season at mainly 40% so far - clean your teeth that ###### hanging out is no good for your social life

If they are 2 current NRL players means they won't be cheap and the pound is in free fall.

I just can't see how your inside the salary cap not unless you have creative accounting.

Whose round is that the Milkmans?

No that's you if you think your within n the salary cap.

Lets say they are on A$360K, so a 3 month deal to showcase in UK would cost about £40k each - still loads in the pot for a couple of SL players to top the squad up for the war.

Its also clear the rumours are in your own head btw, wonder what visions you will be having next year #jealousyisbadforyou

don't know amber,jukes will be looking to rest some players now and you owe us a kicking

Jukes won't be resting players for the Bradford game.......but he may for the Fax game especially if we beat Bradford on Sunday. Now remind me again who last put out a weakened side against Fax the result of which cost us 300k.

Here we go again .....

Lets say they are on A$360K, so a 3 month deal to showcase in UK would cost about £40k each - still loads in the pot for a couple of SL players to top the squad up for the war.

Its also clear the rumours are in your own head btw, wonder what visions you will be having next year #jealousyisbadforyou

Obviously you don't understand how the salary cap works and if you think that 2 decent super league players are going to take a pay cut to come to your club you don't understand professional sport. No way is a player going to take a pay cut to play in a lower league, and if you pay them more than they are getting at their super league club you will get found out sooner than later.

Archived