25 Jun: CCQF: Hull FC v Catalans Dragons KO 1.30pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Catalans Dragons

I thought they were both knock ons. Even if Shauls wasn't he grounded on the line so still a goal line drop out

I think you have to make a deliberate play to ground it for that to be given.

Shaul faced his own line, knocked it backwards and regathered. Ridiculous decision.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you have to make a deliberate play to ground it for that to be given.

Shaul faced his own line, knocked it backwards and regathered. Ridiculous decision.

He knocked it forward onto his knee and then it went backwards.

He clearly grounded it in goal so I don't know why you're whining

He knocked it forward onto his knee and then it went backwards.

He clearly grounded it in goal so I don't know why you're whining

OF has got the rule correct when it comes to grounding in goal. If a defending player unintentionally grounds the ball in goal he is allowed to get up and continue.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

OF has got the rule correct when it comes to grounding in goal. If a defending player unintentionally grounds the ball in goal he is allowed to get up and continue.

Am I still allowed to continue "whining" though?

Dear me.

You can whine all you want, the decision was correct

Would you care to admit you didn't know the rules regarding grounding the ball behind your own try line then?

Would you care to admit you don't know the rules regarding what constitutes a goal line drop out?

I didn't state that if you ground the ball, whether intentionally or not, it's a drop out, which you appeared to have done.

I merely suggested Shaul didn't knock on.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, we appear to not be able to agree, I don't particularly want to fall out with anyone on here, enjoy what's left of your evening.

:D

I didn't state that if you ground the ball, whether intentionally or not, it's a drop out, which you appeared to have done.

I merely suggested Shaul didn't knock on.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, we appear to not be able to agree, I don't particularly want to fall out with anyone on here, enjoy what's left of your evening.

:D

Happy to have a lively debate without falling out

What a player Dave Taylor is btw. I know he didn't make any real telling contributions today, but he's a hell of a unit. We have some huge men ourselves, and it still needed 4 men in the tackle to stop him.

Where the ball which is stationary in the field of play or the in-goal area comes in contact with a player in touch, touch in-goal or over the dead ball line, the ball is deemed to have been made dead by that player.

I'm perfectly aware of that but have no idea of what relevance it is to the incident we're discussing.

The ref gave a drop out because he said Shaul knocked on, I suggested the ball went backwards, in which case play on.

Interesting if the Ref has to guess the players intention when dropping on the ball! So if a player falls on the ball in the process of a tackle over the line does he score? Was that his intention or was he just being knocked over? Campbell have a guess and Hicks as VR can amuse us with his ifs and buts about intent.

I can see he fell on the ball but his mind is very disturbed....

In other circumstances Shaul would have been begging the Ref to interpret his action as grounding the ball having dropped it behind the line.

Interesting if the Ref has to guess the players intention when dropping on the ball! So if a player falls on the ball in the process of a tackle over the line does he score? Was that his intention or was he just being knocked over? Campbell have a guess and Hicks as VR can amuse us with his ifs and buts about intent.

I can see he fell on the ball but his mind is very disturbed....

In other circumstances Shaul would have been begging the Ref to interpret his action as grounding the ball having dropped it behind the line.

It's only for defending players.

I'm perfectly aware of that but have no idea of what relevance it is to the incident we're discussing.

The ref gave a drop out because he said Shaul knocked on, I suggested the ball went backwards, in which case play on.

The relevance is that the correct decision was made. You may not think he knocked on, I happen to think he did as it went forward from his hands onto his knee and then backwards but that is one of interpretation, however the end result was still the same so I'm really not sure why we are still debating it

We both seem to be not getting anywhere with this. Even if I'd agreed that Shaul had knocked on, the reason for the drop out would be exactly that, he knocked on, not any part of the laws of the game you quoted. He wasn't anywhere near the dead ball line or touch in goal, and he didn't try to make a deliberate play to ground the ball.

You say "the end result was still the same", which suggests that in either of our interepretations it would have been a drop out.

It simply wouldn't, had the ref seen it like most people did, Shaul would have picked the ball up and probably made the 30m line. The only reason he didn't was because the ref thought it was a knock on.

Very good defensive effort from Hull. Through to the next round and that's the main.

Pitch replacement could have been thought out a bit better than that though.

I got the idea that somebody wasn't aware that the gap in Hull's home fixtures could be tilled by a cup tie.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I got the idea that somebody wasn't aware that the gap in Hull's home fixtures could be tilled by a cup tie.

I watched it on BEIN sports in St. Cyprien. It seemed the online version slowed the picture down. Weird. That and the effect of the sand made everyone look like they where sprinting at the speed of Tony Duke!

We both seem to be not getting anywhere with this. Even if I'd agreed that Shaul had knocked on, the reason for the drop out would be exactly that, he knocked on, not any part of the laws of the game you quoted. He wasn't anywhere near the dead ball line or touch in goal, and he didn't try to make a deliberate play to ground the ball.

You say "the end result was still the same", which suggests that in either of our interepretations it would have been a drop out.

It simply wouldn't, had the ref seen it like most people did, Shaul would have picked the ball up and probably made the 30m line. The only reason he didn't was because the ref thought it was a knock on.

I may have quoted the wrong part before, see below:

Drop-out from Goal line 4. The game is restarted with a drop-out by a defending player from the centre of his goal line if:

(a) a defending player last touches the ball before it goes over the dead ball line or into touch in-goal.

(B) a defending player accidentally infringes in the in-goal area.

© a defending player touches down in the in-goal area.

(d) a defending player in possession is tackled in the in-goal area.

(e) a defending player kicks the ball into touch on the full from his own in-goal.

(f) a defending player kicks or passes the ball in his own in-goal and the ball accidentally strikes an opponent and goes into touch in-goal or over the dead ball line.

(g) the ball or a defending player carrying the ball touches the referee, a touch judge or an encroaching spectator in the in-goal area and play is thereby irregularly affected.

(h) the ball goes over the dead ball line or into touch in-goal other than on the full from a kick off from the centre of the halfway line .

(i) where a kick is made dead by a defending player straddling the dead ball line or touch in goal line.

- See more at: http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/rules/laws_of_the_game/kick_off__drop_out#sthash.xBC39CWD.dpuf

When you say if the ref had seen it like most people did, I presume you mean the totally unbiased Hull fans?

When you say if the ref had seen it like most people did, I presume you mean the totally unbiased Hull fans?

If you like.

What about the rest of my post?

Just wondering about the knock-on!

As the ball hit himself and didn't hit the ground, another player or an official, it wasn't knocked on!

It came off his knee backwards and hit the ground therefore play on !!!

Just thought I'd clarify that

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Just wondering about the knock-on!

As the ball hit himself and didn't hit the ground, another player or an official, it wasn't knocked on!

It came off his knee backwards and hit the ground therefore play on !!!

Just thought I'd clarify that

Archived