The Tory Leadership Contest

Under the Fixed Parliamentary Terms bill introduced by the coalition before the last election there can only be a General Election if the current government falls eg due to losing a vote of c.onfidence.Then the Queen can ask some one else to try to get a majority in the Commons without a General Election .We don t vote for a Prime Minister,we vote for individual MPs who then decide who to back to form a government ).Even with a small majority the Tories wouldn't lose a no confidence vote as Labour would be risking near annihilation . In the North UKIP would gain many seats from Labour and Tories or LibDems would win most of the Labour seats in the South( and even a few in London).

There is another way, iirc it's if two-thirds of MPs vote for a GE.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect she got told that Murdoch would be bringing out the good stuff.

i have absolutely no doubt leadsom was in firing line for the heavy artillery if she didn't step down....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

A snap election and a good hiding for Labour may be the wake up call the cult of Corbyn section of party needs. Still only be just over an extra year away from the next GE anyway.

They'd probably just blame the "Blairites" and try to assert control over what's left of the party.

But you've got to admire the Tories, they really know how to stitch things up.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Tories reunite quickly.  They will save up the hate and backstabbing for a few years.

So at the start of the day we had May nicking Millibands ideas, and now she is PM.

Any ideas on her other policies?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Tories reunite quickly.  They will save up the hate and backstabbing for a few years.

So at the start of the day we had May nicking Millibands ideas, and now she is PM.

Any ideas on her other policies?

The policies I've heard so far are allowing share holders to block executive pay rises and including staff members and consumers on management boards.

A snap election and a good hiding for Labour may be the wake up call the cult of Corbyn section of party needs. Still only be just over an extra year away from the next GE anyway.

Why do we have to drive every nail to the board.  A GE now would be a disaster that Labour would probably take 20 years to get over, if ever, I haven't got that long!  We've pulled out of the EU and we don't really know the consequences.

Let's see what Theresa does. Hopefully she'll sack Osborne and put someone in charge who is interested in the job rather than setting traps for Labour to fall into. After all his post 2010 policies have just been proved (by himself) to have been a painful waste of time.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

So you're a hypocrite then; supporting leaving the EU in the name of greater democracy but happy that democracy is completely circumvented when it suits you?

It didn't suit me.  I didn't want May because I wanted Cameron to stay the course and I'm still a bit annoyed that he didn't.  So no, I'm not a hypocrite and no, I don't like democracy being circumvented. 

The fact is though that we do not elect our Prime Ministers in the UK.  We do not have a presidential democracy.  We elect our MPs and then MPs (and latterly grassroots supporters also) choose the leader of the party who, in this instance (as with Gordon Brown) happens also to be the Prime Minister. 

Yes. People who are annoyed by something often winkingly refer to it as "payback".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Cameron clearly is looking forward to his retirement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/11/david-cameron-caught-singing-a-little-tune-to-himself-as-he-re-e/

You can imagine him singing away as he leaves others to clean up his mess. Then chucks in a few hand grenades for fun.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Why do we have to drive every nail to the board. A GE now would be a disaster that Labour would probably take 20 years to get over, if ever, I haven't got that long! We've pulled out of the EU and we don't really know the consequences.

Let's see what Theresa does. Hopefully she'll sack Osborne and put someone in charge who is interested in the job rather than setting traps for Labour to fall into. After all his post 2010 policies have just been proved (by himself) to have been a painful waste of time.

Sajid Javid is probably the best bet

The leadership race is over.  Shouldn't you be in the general tories thread now?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The leadership race is over.  Shouldn't you be in the general tories thread now?

Absolutely right.  I'll move them over.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived