RFL's Strategic Plan

I've been informed by the RFL that the Annual Report for 2015 is due out this week and it will include a progress report on performance against the Strategic Plan targets - which would seem to confirm that the SP is still a live document and hasn't been kicked into the long grass.   The RFL also said that they would send me an electronic copy of the Annual Report - looking forward to seeing what it says.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be in line with last year, and the annual reports are always published online. Usually interesting docs to read.

I hope you or someone else provides a link to it because a bit of scrutiny on here will be interesting.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I hope you or someone else provides a link to it because a bit of scrutiny on here will be interesting.

if we're allowed to discuss a document with facts in. I suspect it will get railroaded again by somebody who makes up their own objectives and claims that is the rfl's aim.

I've been informed by the RFL that the Annual Report for 2015 is due out this week and it will include a progress report on performance against the Strategic Plan targets - which would seem to confirm that the SP is still a live document and hasn't been kicked into the long grass.   The RFL also said that they would send me an electronic copy of the Annual Report - looking forward to seeing what it says.

So am I, but if you expect the RFL to hang themselves with a damning verdict on their own performance then you may well be disappointed. 

The strategic plans targets were not precise and the whole thing read like a wish list. It will be fairly easy for the RFL who set their own goals so loosely, to argue they have done rather well.

This was best illustrated when Solly was the judge of his own performance in his assessment of the new league structure. He claimed all the clubs were happy with it (they weren't) and he claimed attendances had risen (same fans more matches) and of course average attendances were up in both divisions (which was merely to do with changing the make up of the divisions not new fans).  

Anyway we shall see.....

So am I, but if you expect the RFL to hang themselves with a damning verdict on their own performance then you may well be disappointed. 

The strategic plans targets were not precise and the whole thing read like a wish list. It will be fairly easy for the RFL who set their own goals so loosely, to argue they have done rather well.

To put this one to bed, the targets are extremely precise and not like a wishlist at all. There is an issue that this is by 2021, an example of the targets are:

1. Game-wide turnover from £118m to £146m by 2021

a) Pro and Semi clubs from £75m to £90m

b ) SL from £27.7m to £34.3m

c) RFL Turnover £15.5m to £22.3m

d) Commercial Income - £2.5m to £7m

e) Average loss improve from £627k to £100k (9 clubs in profit, up from 3)

Anyway we shall see.....

That is not the purpose of an annual report and only an idiot would thinks so. The strategic targets were very precise and covered such things as broadcasting revenue, sponsorship revenue, RFL financial turnover, success at major tournaments, growth in attendances, number of clubs in profit, turnover of clubs, increase in registered players. All of those areas had precise figures and internationally on the field stated the end result.

I am not sure how based on the above it is not easy to quantify success or failure. The RFL should be praised for this rather than being criticised. I can understand people criticising  the targets being overly ambitious or easy to achieve,  but that is not the case here.

That is not the purpose of an annual report and only an idiot would thinks so. The strategic targets were very precise and covered such things as broadcasting revenue, sponsorship revenue, RFL financial turnover, success at major tournaments, growth in attendances, number of clubs in profit, turnover of clubs, increase in registered players. All of those areas had precise figures and internationally on the field stated the end result.

I am not sure how based on the above it is not easy to quantify success or failure. The RFL should be praised for this rather than being criticised. I can understand people criticising the targets being overly ambitious or easy to achieve, but that is not the case here.

spot on. The areas are pretty much bang on the money and every one sees a big increase - possibly my one real area of criticism is that the rfl turnover by 2021 will still be lower than 2010 iirc.

We are too quick to use any negative result as a reason to start a coup and overhaul the leaders, when that isnt always what is needed.

In order to make progress you need to at least know what success looks like and this doc does that so it is a great start and shows me that the leaders understand where we need to focus.

I am not sure how based on the above it is not easy to quantify success or failure. The RFL should be praised for this rather than being criticised. I can understand people criticising  the targets being overly ambitious or easy to achieve,  but that is not the case here.

Well you have your insult in place and a nice "like this" tick, so you must be right. Stunning point.

Yakstorm, on 29 Jun 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

Key KPIs in the plan were:

- Increasing annual revenue from 118m to 146m per year.

- Increasing spectator numbers from 2.3m to 3.0m per year.

- Increasing TV viewership from 17m to 22m per year.

- Increasing participation from 46K to 66K

Now in terms of working out where we are fairing being honest I can't work out how RL got their base figures. For participation they claim to have 40K Community players, 3.5K Touch and 3K Students to make up the 46K odd base.

When I look at Sports England numbers for RL in 14/15 the figures are around 24.5K for community.

TV audiences I can't see increasing significantly unless there is an increase in content whilst I don't see any evidence either that attendances are growing at a decent level.

All in all, for the second year in of a 5 year plan, things aren't starting well."

So the RFL have planned to get.....

Annual revenue up by 25%

Spectators up by 30%

TV viewers up by 30%

Players up by 45%

Yakstorm is no "Idiot" he's a smart guy and he can't see what these figures are based on, what is the definition of each of these categories, can you explain??

I assume your no idiot??

How do you think the spectator base is going? Crowds don't seem to be going anywhere?

How about TV viewers? are they increasing significantly? Take a view yourself, I won't hold you to it?

Players is the biggest target for growth? I thought the summer switch has hit the player base badly with a lot of postponements, but then again I'm an idiot.

Maybe Revenue is up after all the RFL secured a record £200 Million deal.......

So they may crow about that and show you their figures, and in the meantime the majority of SL chairmen will be reflecting how rubbish that deal actually was as they actually said in the press, when Lenegan wrote about it.

If you are happy to state that the annual report won't be presented by the RFL in the best possible light, with dubious figures all round, unlike properly audited annual financial statements as produced by PLC's for their shareholders then you sir are a.....

Misguided person. Have a nice day.

The RFL should be praised for this rather than being criticised. .

The RFL are governing a sport in decline.

1. Salary cap spends relatively stagnant year on year, value reducing in real terms

2. Crowds well down 2008 to 2014 (9800 to 8800 SL 2000 to 1100 CC)

3. SL £68Million in debt by 2013

4. Commercial revenue down to the point of the infamous "Stobart deal" (or no deal :tongue: )

5. Post sports England, playing numbers in strong decline

I may be an idiot, but this idiot doesn't forget the appalling performance of the RFL in previous years.

I may be an idiot but I do not lay the blame on the RFL who have operated in very difficult circumstances. Whatever self serving hard to decipher success story of an "Annual Report" they publish to promote themselves, I'll always be happy to point to my report above.........

The RFL maybe need to be honest about the difficulties and have an open dialogue. That they won't open themselves up for comments and suggestions may be to ensure people don't just take the opportunity to call them idiots or whatever.

That is not the purpose of an annual report and only an idiot would thinks so. 

2013 ANNUAL RFL Report

PARTICIPATION  Rugby League was the only team sport in England to grow in terms of participation in 2013 at age 16 plus. It was pleasing to note in the Community Game that record numbers of people were playing the game in community clubs, schools, colleges and universities There were also record numbers of adults and children playing the 13-a-side game in organised leagues and clubs across the community. This would indicate that the transition to ‘Summer’ Rugby League was a popular decision in the Community game.

FINANCES  Financially the RFL delivered a record turnover in 2013.

PROFESSIONAL CLUB FINANCES One of the more pleasing issues over the past 12 months has been the considerable reduction of insolvencies or near insolvent events that the sport has endured.. One of the Key Performance measures for the RFL Board of Directors remains the level of central revenue raised. Next year it is expected to reach an all-time high of £11.5m which represents an increase of 570% over the past decade.

POLICY REVIEW. As a consequence, Rugby League has an opportunity in 2015 to embrace an exciting new league format where every professional club can see a clear pathway to make progress and where resources are shared proportionately around the sport. The competition structure for 2015 allowed the RFL to reopen negotiations with our major broadcast partners to secure an outstanding future for the sport for the next seven years

ACCOMMODATION I am delighted to report that the RFL’s office presence at Media City in Salford, used so successfully during the World Cup, is being retained indeed enhanced and going forward will be the exciting central hub for the sports marketing and media operations. In addition, the RFL has a permanent office presence in London where Commercial colleagues are conveniently located to make Rugby League’s case with the major brands and potential sponsors.

And so here we have the RFL in 2013 when the game was in crisis telling us that they had achieved:

1. Record numbers playing

2. A record turnover

3. All time high revenue raised

4. Outstanding future

5. Link up to major brands and sponsors in their own London back yard.

This is what an RFL annual report actually looks like. In 2013 the RFL's performance was one of growth, records broken, an outstanding future, all time highs and exciting marketing.......

....according to the RFL. Give me a tick please

This was best illustrated when Solly was the judge of his own performance in his assessment of the new league structure. He claimed all the clubs were happy with it (they weren't) and he claimed attendances had risen (same fans more matches) and of course average attendances were up in both divisions (which was merely to do with changing the make up of the divisions not new fans).  

Anyway we shall see.....

Rhubarb.

To put this one to bed, the targets are extremely precise and not like a wishlist at all. There is an issue that this is by 2021, an example of the targets are:

1. Game-wide turnover from £118m to £146m by 2021

a) Pro and Semi clubs from £75m to £90m

b ) SL from £27.7m to £34.3m

c) RFL Turnover £15.5m to £22.3m

d) Commercial Income - £2.5m to £7m

e) Average loss improve from £627k to £100k (9 clubs in profit, up from 3)

Those figures may not be as impressive as they seem, just taking the SL figure if you put in 7 years 2% inflation/year the £27m would rise to £32m anyway so what looks like a £1m/year growth becomes a more modest £280,000. Of course real inflation could be more or less but 2% os th BoE taget.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Those figures may not be as impressive as they seem, just taking the SL figure if you put in 7 years 2% inflation/year the £27m would rise to £32m anyway so what looks like a £1m/year growth becomes a more modest £280,000. Of course real inflation could be more or less but 2% os th BoE taget.

there are many which may not be the most impressive but unfortunately the discussion has been steered away from that.

Whilst the inflation point is very valid, getting thw numbers at least moving upwards is a starting point for me as they havent even managed that in many places despite central funding increasing.

Link to RFL 2015 Annual Report below

http://media.therfl.co.uk/docs/RFL%202015%20Annual%20Report.pdf

Thanks Mr. Bird,

Did you enjoy the 2013 report I posted above when the RFL had a fantastic year?

2015 is no different.......

14 years of unbroken profitability, and 700,000 new players is fantastic.

What 2013 didn't mention was crowds, but credit the RFL who this time put a record crowd into St.James park, so they have sorted out crowds too!!. 

And so year on year the RFL breaks record upon record, Record profitability, players up massively, new record crowds. Brilliant performance, trebles all round......

So on page 47 we have probably the most transparent review of performance ever, with RAG status for each area and the troll above is still off on one.

Unfortunately he sticks people who challenge him on ignore but the results are there to be challenged. Instead he goes off on one trolling.

You have to admit this was a beautiful quote even for Wood.

“Financially, 2015 was a very strong year with the highest Turnover recorded in non-World Cup years since 2011 and investment around the sport at the highest ever level,” he said.

So basically it was higher than 2012 and 2014 then :/ lol

Having now had the opportunity to read the report, I have to say that I'm pleased/impressed on 2 counts :

- First, I think the report itself is well presented.  In particular, rating progress on a red/amber/green basis is a useful tool that quickly draws attention to any areas where an objective hasn't been fully met.

- Second, although there is work to be done in a number of areas, it's pleasing to see that the majority of objectives have been met

It will be interesting to see whether the report gets picked up much by the media over the next week or so. 

What is does show is that if the government grant (i.e. sport England) goes down the money on development just gets trimmed accordingly. As opposed to other rival sports which are making healthy profits and ploughing them into development. 

Other sports like cricket and RU take on capital spending projects with a view that it will earn them a much bigger chunk of income down the line. We just cut our cloth - hence the floating around the break even give or take a few tens of thousands.

So on page 47 we have probably the most transparent review of performance ever, with RAG status for each area and the troll above is still off on one.

Unfortunately he sticks people who challenge him on ignore but the results are there to be challenged. Instead he goes off on one trolling.

Embarrassing isn't it, once more he attempts to make any positive into a negative. likes all round though....

Having now had the opportunity to read the report, I have to say that I'm pleased/impressed on 2 counts :

- First, I think the report itself is well presented.  In particular, rating progress on a red/amber/green basis is a useful tool that quickly draws attention to any areas where an objective hasn't been fully met.

- Second, although there is work to be done in a number of areas, it's pleasing to see that the majority of objectives have been met

It will be interesting to see whether the report gets picked up much by the media over the next week or so.

Agree on both points, and though I also hope the media pick up on it I would be more interested in how potential sponsors would see this.

Archived