Catalans v Wigan SOLD OUT!

Think that is right for 2011 mate. 2012 was the larger figure you quoted.

Why did you post a confusing attendance when we are talking about best attendances, I presumed you were contradicting the high attendance, the one you quote is irrelevant to the conversation.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Activities take-off down town Perpignan infront of the Castillet.

gallery_378a5417-copier_57761adce3e68__z

Golden Oldies arrive welcomed by Bernard Guasch

gallery_378a5456-copier_57761b15f3fc6__z

FéFé alias Ferriol got his target lined-up!

gallery_378a5511-copier_57761af168eb4__z

Alexander the great - alias 'Channy'

gallery_378a5531-copier_57761aec612b4__z

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Why did you post a confusing attendance when we are talking about best attendances, I presumed you were contradicting the high attendance, the one you quote is irrelevant to the conversation.

Initially you stated that the Montpellier attendance was the highest. Nobody was really sure. I went to the 2011 game at Montpellier and thought that was around 10000. LTer in the thread, Audois correctly identified that the following year, 2012, a game at Montpellier had a higher crowd of around 14000.

What's the problem?

So, 11800 attendance at the game.

Ground pretty much full, corporate, business and public engagement arrangements offered Thursday, Friday and match day at the Castillet and Place de la Liberation.

Freebies, hats, flags, posters and taster sessions for kids v ex Cats players.

Bands playing in the evenings in Perpignan, band playing at the match, band playing after the match in the City, celebrating the Cats 10 years.

Marketing failure and cost benefit meltdown again. Bring it on.

Marketing failure and cost benefit meltdown again. Bring it on.

They have a (probably unique) situation in terms of the breakdown of how much revenue in %age terms comes through the turnstiles vs other clubs. They get city, department and regional public funding that no British club does, hundreds of sponsors in the hospitality, big boutique that always seems to be busy. I suspect that a big splash event for them pays back in many ways other than increased attendance for a single game.

I just got back from France and my first Catalans game. The city was really buzzing and I think the clubs should be commended for putting on such a good show...off the field.

Unfortunately as they are wont to do on these occasions, the Dragons played woefully. Poor discipline, error after error and no imagination in attack. Not for the first time, Carney seemed to be playing while unfit. Fraysinous doesn't seem to have much faith in Da Costa yet but I can't see how they wouldn't have been improved with Bosc in the halves and Da Costa as interchange hooker. Also Escare at full back should be a given at this stage, Gigot is a complete liability under the high ball and his ball security going into a hit up is always poor.

At least the club shop seemed to be doing a roaring trade!

It was interesting to sit among the Catalans fans and I'm starting to get what Hvy Wg says about the hostile atmosphere once refereeing decisions start going against them! Also they really, really love Dave Taylor.

A few things about Wigan - they were well worth their win and the fans were in great voice throughout. One ould lad sitting beside me said "listen to all the songs they have, all we sing is Catalans, Catalans!" I do however agree with the comments about Tomkins. I never noticed it as much on TV but he really does constantly con the ref at the ruck although O'Loughlin and especially Sarginson are worse. Having said that, he is a magnificent player with ball in hand and always looks like he can create something. I'm far from an expert but I'd really like to see him moved to the halves.

Off topic, but I flew back from Toulouse so I had a peek around the Stade Arnauné. It's a nice little ground and very handy to get to from the city centre. I do worry about the possibility of expanding though. There is the space but it seems like a highly residential area and I'm not sure it could handle a significant crowd. I hope I'm wrong though!

Apologies, this turned into a bit of a travel blog...

I just got back from France and my first Catalans game. The city was really buzzing and I think the clubs should be commended for putting on such a good show...off the field.

Unfortunately as they are wont to do on these occasions, the Dragons played woefully. Poor discipline, error after error and no imagination in attack. Not for the first time, Carney seemed to be playing while unfit. Fraysinous doesn't seem to have much faith in Da Costa yet but I can't see how they wouldn't have been improved with Bosc in the halves and Da Costa as interchange hooker. Also Escare at full back should be a given at this stage, Gigot is a complete liability under the high ball and his ball security going into a hit up is always poor.

It was interesting to sit among the Catalans fans and I'm starting to get what Hvy Wg says about the hostile atmosphere once refereeing decisions start going against them! Also they really, really love Dave Taylor.

A few things about Wigan - they were well worth their win and the fans were in great voice throughout. One ould lad sitting beside me said "listen to all the songs they have, all we sing is Catalans, Catalans!" I do however agree with the comments about Tomkins. I never noticed it as much on TV but he really does constantly con the ref at the ruck although O'Loughlin and especially Sarginson are worse. Having said that, he is a magnificent player with ball in hand and always looks like he can create something. I'm far from an expert but I'd really like to see him moved to the halves.

Off topic, but I flew back from Toulouse so I had a peek around the Stade Arnauné. It's a nice little ground and very handy to get to from the city centre. I do worry about the possibility of expanding though. There is the space but it seems like a highly residential area and I'm not sure it could handle a significant crowd. I hope I'm wrong though!

I love travel blogs mate! 

The ref was okay except for Tomkins. But they're still booing him. Easier to blame a guy that you don't know rather than to blame the coach for having a centre at fullback and a prop at centre.

Not at all mate. God to know you get out now and again.

Where did you sit?

Archived