Ryan Morgan Signs for Saints

I have my doubts over Fleming too. Spedding didn't impress me either but that was the only game I saw of him so can't judge. I noticed you'd also kept on Bailey from Telford. How's he coming on - do you think he'll make it?

I think they've finally realised that Full Back is his natural position. After Cunningham gave him his debut last year on the wing (where he had a real mare) his confidence took a bit of a knock. This year he started at FB in the reserves but then got pushed out onto the wing to accommodate McDonnell and to be honest he didn't really shine. However recently they've pushed McDonnell onto the wing and put Bailey back at FB and he's looked pretty good.

I'd hope that next year he gets some game time at FB in the 1st team

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Lyon when he signed for Saints was probably in the top 6 or 7 centres knocking about.

Morgan wouldn't get in the top 30 centres in the world if a list was put together.

Maybe he wouldn't, I don't know and it's about opinion, but he has a decent strike rate, given he hasn't always been first choice or played big minutes week in week out.

Inglis, King, Clinton Toopi, Whatuira, Senior, Gaznier, Gidley, Matt Cooper, Shaun Berrigan, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Terry Hill, Matty King, Tahu - Vagana and Joel Moneghan could be added to that - where all as good as Jamie Lyon, at that time. After Saints and then at Manly he was up there definitely but not when Saints signed him, no way.

Maybe he wouldn't, I don't know and it's about opinion, but he has a decent strike rate, given he hasn't always been first choice or played big minutes week in week out.

Inglis, King, Clinton Toopi, Whatuira, Senior, Gaznier, Gidley, Matt Cooper, Shaun Berrigan, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Terry Hill, Matty King, Tahu - Vagana and Joel Moneghan could be added to that - where all as good as Jamie Lyon, at that time. After Saints and then at Manly he was up there definitely but not when Saints signed him, no way.

Lyon was the youngest ever Aussie International at that time 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Before Lyon signed for saints,he'd scored 2 tries in a NRL grand final,played for NSW and Australia,GI was yet to make his debut,Terry Hill was about to retire,Monaghan,King & Tate were playing on the wing,Cooper & Gasnier were just starting their rep careers,but I will give you Matt Gidley,another Saints centre signing who was in a totally different class to Morgan.

Before Lyon signed for saints,he'd scored 2 tries in a NRL grand final,played for NSW and Australia,GI was yet to make his debut,Terry Hill was about to retire,Monaghan,King & Tate were playing on the wing,Cooper & Gasnier were just starting their rep careers,but I will give you Matt Gidley,another Saints centre signing who was in a totally different class to Morgan.

They must have been different people I saw on the pitch then. I watched Tate played in the centres for Brisbane against Canberra and Monaghan flitted between centre and wing for Penrith before he went to Canberra, did the same for a bit then became predominantly wing.

Gaznier had been playing a year before he was called up for Australia in 2001 and played SoO in 2004. I thought King played in the centres for Melbourne, must be wrong there so apologies.

He was certainly a good player at the time, and better to come, but no way top 10 IMO. When he was at Saints and Manly afterwards, definitely.

They must have been different people I saw on the pitch then. I watched Tate played in the centres for Brisbane against Canberra and Monaghan flitted between centre and wing for Penrith before he went to Canberra, did the same for a bit then became predominantly wing.

Gaznier had been playing a year before he was called up for Australia in 2001 and played SoO in 2004. I thought King played in the centres for Melbourne, must be wrong there so apologies.

He was certainly a good player at the time, and better to come, but no way top 10 IMO. When he was at Saints and Manly afterwards, definitely.

Not top 10 yeah ok,you were wrong with most of your other better centre's so to say he wasn't even in the top 10 just puts the top hat on it,

Lyon had played Aus and Origin by 2002. He was injured for most of 2003 and then walked out of the Eels in 2004 as they refused to let him go to Manly. If he was fully fit and playing every week Lyon would be playing Origin or Aus, it was his circumstances not ability as to why he wasn't playing either. If you're good enough to play Origin or Aus you're definitely in the best 6 or 7 knocking about.

If we are comparing Morgan to centres in the NRL, most people would have; Inglis, Croker, Whare, SKD, Beale, Hoffman, Hurrell, Leileua, Dugan, Peachey, Blake, Bird, Gray, Reed, Roberts, O Neil, Chambers, Kata, Morris, Lafai, Gagai,Linnett,Nofoaluma, Jennings, Matai, Walker, Takairangi, Lawrence and Hardaker.

Lyon had played Aus and Origin by 2002. He was injured for most of 2003 and then walked out of the Eels in 2004 as they refused to let him go to Manly. If he was fully fit and playing every week Lyon would be playing Origin or Aus, it was his circumstances not ability as to why he wasn't playing either. If you're good enough to play Origin or Aus you're definitely in the best 6 or 7 knocking about.

If we are comparing Morgan to centres in the NRL, most people would have; Inglis, Croker, Whare, SKD, Beale, Hoffman, Hurrell, Leileua, Dugan, Peachey, Blake, Bird, Gray, Reed, Roberts, O Neil, Chambers, Kata, Morris, Lafai, Gagai,Linnett,Nofoaluma, Jennings, Matai, Walker, Takairangi, Lawrence and Hardaker.

You've ruined a perfectly reasonable post by shoehorning Hardaker in at the end.

Not top 10 yeah ok,you were wrong with most of your other better centre's so to say he wasn't even in the top 10 just puts the top hat on it,

All about opinions. I think Lyon, coming off a very long injury and then jacking, part way through a contract with Parra, was not such a sure thing as you think. He proved he was.

No mate, just comparing him to Lyons signing and my opinion that Lyon was not the nailed on success story some thought at the time of signing.

I think the new lad will be ok. As I said, given he hasn't been first choice, which in turn, limits minutes on the pitch, his strike rate is around 30 odd percent. For a centre, it ain't bad.

Don't know about Hardaker though. I don't think Penrith do either!

Ok, maybe I worded that wrongly, but he was far from the player he became at Saints and at later at Manly.

Some questioned whether it was a good signing due to his mental state at the time. Remember, Lyon jacked the NRL, with time left on his contract, to play Country. It didn't work out and he ended up coming to Saints, maybe 6 months later. Also, prior to Saints, he wasn't the goal kicker for Parra. Only when he arrived here did he undertake that role and the rest is history.

You are right,spotted by Eric Ashton going to waste, big debate in Australia whether is head was in the right place, helped  by players like Scully and Longy to love the game again.

Archived