Sign in to follow this  
Saint Toppy

Our new position in the EU

21 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

As a matter of interest, are there any serious negative health risks from chlorinating chicken?

Given that they apparently do it in the States, I assume that some official body there has indicated that it doesn't do any harm.

But this isn't my field, so I'm unsure. Maybe you know a bit more about it.

The Dutch chicken infection is caused illegally, as you say, but it's not something you would expect from the Dutch, and I know that's a rather wide-ranging comment.

When you buy a chicken from the supermarket I'm not sure how you're supposed to know about its welfare. The words 'free range' can hide a multitude of sins.

Have you seen the state of people in the states? and they've already exported a great deal of their dietary habits here over the years and we are heading the same way.

Chlorinated chicken will probably not be harmful to eat, but that's about it. Will it be on your shopping list? It won't be on mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Have you seen the state of people in the states? and they've already exported a great deal of their dietary habits here over the years and we are heading the same way.

Chlorinated chicken will probably not be harmful to eat, but that's about it. Will it be on your shopping list? It won't be on mine.

I have eaten chicken in the States and managed to survive the experience.

I would certainly prefer to buy a chicken raised in the UK than one raised in the USA, given what others have written on this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Nope. I get my poultry from Lawns. 

You can see what I'm buying in the field next to the farm. I get my eggs from there too.

39 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I have eaten chicken in the States and managed to survive the experience.

I would certainly prefer to buy a chicken raised in the UK than one raised in the USA, given what others have written on this thread.

I said chlorinated chicken was probably not harmful. I've eaten all sorts of stuff when I've been in the US, from Virginia lamb to the greasiest street corner hot dog. It was all part of a fascinating experience. This is irrelevant to the diet that many if not most of the population of the US eat for 365 days of the year.

I buy the best quality food that I can afford

It's not whether the chicken is chlorinated or not, it's the fact that if we allow US chicken in then our farmers will have to do the same to compete and you won't have a choice, unless you buy the expensive imported European chicken. That is, if any of our farmers survive the competition against the big agro-industrial US farms. 

The ones who raise turkeys may well undersatnd the potential of what pro-Brexit farmers voted for.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 17/01/2017 at 8:52 PM, Saintslass said:

Well, I thought May's speech was excellent 

Well I for one am gobsmacked at that!:O

one of the clearest messages of the leave campaign was taking back control of our borders,:fan:

I do enjoy excellent use of euphemisms.

Obviously, all that she did today was set out broad but substantive principles about what the government is seeking from the negotiations and where the lines in the sand are drawn

A bit like at the Alamo!

RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

It's not whether the chicken is chlorinated or not, it's the fact that if we allow US chicken in then our farmers will have to do the same to compete and you won't have a choice, unless you buy the expensive imported European chicken. That is, if any of our farmers survive the competition against the big agro-industrial US farms. 

The ones who raise turkeys may well undersatnd the potential of what pro-Brexit farmers voted for.

This is one of the outstanding issues from the referendum.

There were assurances from the Leave campaign that subsidies would be maintained.  Essentially, we would keep the CAP.  There are a few reasons to doubt this will happen:
1. It seems deeply immoral and undermines African agricultural economies.
2. The USA may not accept it.
3. The British Government might hesitate to afford it.

The deeply negative Project Fear people will point to points 2 and 3 as major factors.  Whereas, point 1 has become a really major, pressing issue for some Leave supporters in a way that it never has been previously.

• Like 3

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

This is one of the outstanding issues from the referendum.

There were assurances from the Leave campaign that subsidies would be maintained.  Essentially, we would keep the CAP.  There are a few reasons to doubt this will happen:
1. It seems deeply immoral and undermines African agricultural economies.
2. The USA may not accept it.
3. The British Government might hesitate to afford it.

The deeply negative Project Fear people will point to points 2 and 3 as major factors.  Whereas, point 1 has become a really major, pressing issue for some Leave supporters in a way that it never has been previously.

I might suggest that point 1 is only relevant to EU subsidies and will be quietly forgotten with relation to Free UK Subsidies when they begin to be issued...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

"This is the place!"

I've just discovered we're all victims of clicktivism or post-truth!

Please report any injuries to your local NHS Emergency Unit while it's still there!

Edited by Oxford

Powerful stuff from Heseltine:  Lord Heseltine tells Business Insider: There's now a window of opportunity to stop Brexit

"The cabinet divisions are partly his design. When he was still employed by May, the Tory peer advised she appoint Brexiteers to the three cabinet posts in charge of severing ties with Europe. The result is Boris Johnson, David Davis, and Liam Fox leading the high offices of Brexit.

Heseltine says the trio are "the right people to prove the job can't be done." He explains: "It was the only political answer I could see - to let the Brexiteers prove that their policies work. Patently they don't. There are no policies."

Edited by Griff9of13
  • Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

There is a bit of a conspiracy going to stay quiet, wait until the Government is hieously unpopular and then force a second referendum. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

This thread does a pretty good job of debunking the survey, if you ask loaded questions don't be surprised if you receive loaded answers:

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

There are issues/confusion as to what that survey shows, the percentages are not as per many reports.

e.g 30% of remain supporters want all EU citizens deported.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Better explainer in this thread -

Its a different style of survey and results, but it was reported on as if it was a straight survey (Both left and right leaning papers/outlets have got it wrong, its badly communicated).

• Like 1

On 12/08/2017 at 10:05 AM, Bedford Roughyed said:

Both left and right leaning papers/outlets

You found a LEFT paper outlet? Where? When? What?

As for:

"Most Remain voters now back taking control of borders, leaving ECJ and paying no Brexit divorce bill ....."

What the hell does it mean by NOW? That's what they've always wanted. I should qualify this with my assumption is that the remainers who were asked are the ones who thought it would be over quickly once the decision was made. That taking control of borders issue sounds a bit odd for the remainers.

Did anyone who is a remainer on here contribute to this survey?

It's much more likely that their responses are those from the understandable point of view that they've had enough of the whole thing and don't want it to dominate news and conversations any more.

Anyway advice is:

Buy lot's of BIB wine in the next two years everyone and forget about a van run to make your weddings cheaper too, or hold your wedding sooner rather than later. I wonder if they'll be one of those silly Black Friday type events on the last day before exit?

New position in the EU somewhere with a lot less wine!

Already used this one today but what the hell:

After all one thing guaranteed is the duty will come back with a vengeance!

Edited by Oxford

On 12/08/2017 at 9:58 AM, Bedford Roughyed said:

e.g 30% of remain supporters want all EU citizens deported.

Was this actually said?

Remainers ( the % is immaterial)  suddenly said get rid of all the foreigners from the EU?

Who were they asking the UKIP we want to stay in some bits and get rid of nasty foreigners wing or was there a confusion with the we want to remain racist party?

54 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Was this actually said?

Remainers ( the % is immaterial)  suddenly said get rid of all the foreigners from the EU?

Who were they asking the UKIP we want to stay in some bits and get rid of nasty foreigners wing or was there a confusion with the we want to remain racist party?

The survey was quoted as saying 30% but it turns out the poll was misreported.  See the twitter threads post earlier.  It wasn't a poll, it was a survey, where 50% = neutral, anything below 50% = a negative response to the question/proposal and anything above 50% = a positive response.  So in the case of the 30%, it showed a negative response to the suggestion that all EU nationals should be deported.

Not sure if that explains it?  

• Like 1