Make the Challenge Cup more international

JM2010

I enjoyed watching the Siddal ve Toronto game yesterday and it seemed to generate some interest across the Atlantic.

I think the RFL should invite the champions from the various domestic competitions across Europe and in the USA to apply to enter the Challenge Cup.

Any club with funding available to pay for them to travel to the UK to play the fixture could then enter the draw with the amateur clubs.

This might help generate interest in these countries as well as raising the profile of the CC.

The top two or so clubs from Elite 1 could enter with League 1 sides

French clubs used to be in it too, I'm not sure why it stopped tbh.

It's great having those clubs in but it can be counterproductive if it shows them to be at a very low level and lower than they anticipated. 

Toronto seem to be doing well but I'm not sure yesterday would've been a great advert for the sport!

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I've always thought there should be more interaction between French and British teams generally. This could be a good way to get it going. 

Yeah it's a shame there aren't more friendlies at least. It's funny that amateur sides go on tour to other RL playing nations all the time but the professionals and semi-professionals never do.

22 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

French clubs used to be in it too, I'm not sure why it stopped tbh.

It's great having those clubs in but it can be counterproductive if it shows them to be at a very low level and lower than they anticipated. 

Toronto seem to be doing well but I'm not sure yesterday would've been a great advert for the sport!

Yesterday was a fantastic advert for the game on many levels. The international element, the near upset, the pure guts on display etc etc 

4 hours ago, damp squib said:

Yeah it's a shame there aren't more friendlies at least. It's funny that amateur sides go on tour to other RL playing nations all the time but the professionals and semi-professionals never do.

Preseason games against the combined Aude Cathars team and other rep sides would be a positive step for SL teams perhaps. But L1 should definitely be looking at greater links with Elite 1 teams.

5 hours ago, LeeF said:

Yesterday was a fantastic advert for the game on many levels. The international element, the near upset, the pure guts on display etc etc 

To a RL fan it was, to a first timer I'm not so sure. You could barely see what was going on! 

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

All comes down to money. Who's going to pay for these international teams to fly over?

I put in the original post that the champions would only enter if the could finance themselves.

This could come via sponsors or benefactors.

If the funds aren't in place they don't apply to enter

24 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I put in the original post that the champions would only enter if the could finance themselves.

This could come via sponsors or benefactors.

If the funds aren't in place they don't apply to enter

When these teams were in the comp in the past they didn't apply and were invited. Plus the RFL helped fund their travel and with any of the U.K. Based clubs who got drawn away to them

Although I see the attraction of some exotic names to be in the cup, is there the appetite out there say from Russia who are Amatuer outfits after all (aren't they)

France will have Toulouse & Catalans as reps in this years cup. Do they need any more?

This year was the least number of Community sides to enter for a while, I don't think we should be cutting off more of those entries to suit international sides either

We have English, Welsh, French and Canadian teams in it already, its not doing bad for an international dimension. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 minutes ago, Padge said:

We have English, Welsh, French and Canadian teams in it already, its not doing bad for an international dimension. 

And Scottish, Padge.  Don't forget Aberdeen Warriors.  There could be scope, nevertheless, to include an Irish club or two, without getting too exotic. 

Regarding France, I thought I had read that the new (last year) FFR13 president had hoped to persuade the RFL to allow the Aude Cathars select to play in the cup, but presumably his request was rebuffed.  it certainly would have raised an interesting point, namely do you allow representative sides in, or do you stick exclusively with club ones?

15 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

And Scottish, Padge.  Don't forget Aberdeen Warriors.  There could be scope, nevertheless, to include an Irish club or two, without getting too exotic. 

Regarding France, I thought I had read that the new (last year) FFR13 president had hoped to persuade the RFL to allow the Aude Cathars select to play in the cup, but presumably his request was rebuffed.  it certainly would have raised an interesting point, namely do you allow representative sides in, or do you stick exclusively with club ones?

Its a club competition, so no representative sides as far as I'm concerned. The list has expanded by one already. What more do you want.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 minutes ago, Padge said:

Its a club competition, so no representative sides as far as I'm concerned. The list has expanded by one already. What more do you want.

The Army, RAF, Royal Navy & GB Police have been able to enter and they are rep sides after all

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The Army, RAF, Royal Navy & GB Police have been able to enter and they are rep sides after all

Well they should enter as teams in preliminary rounds and play off to represent the various organisations, only joking.

They are fairly unique as players are moved around depending on postings and not on choice, Police may be slightly different but for the forces they have very unique circumstances.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Well they should enter as teams in preliminary rounds and play off to represent the various organisations, only joking.

They are fairly unique as players are moved around depending on postings and not on choice, Police may be slightly different but for the forces they have very unique circumstances.

Yeah, but they do have inter regiment sides (In the Army at least) playing against each other in competitions - don't know what the exact selection policy

Im not sure they should be playing in what is a club competition but that's what the RFL has decided for now

Those teams (and the University teams) do put some players in a difficult position as they may be registered to that side and a community side which can lead to a conflict of loyalties

55 minutes ago, Spidey said:

When these teams were in the comp in the past they didn't apply and were invited. Plus the RFL helped fund their travel and with any of the U.K. Based clubs who got drawn away to them

Although I see the attraction of some exotic names to be in the cup, is there the appetite out there say from Russia who are Amatuer outfits after all (aren't they)

France will have Toulouse & Catalans as reps in this years cup. Do they need any more?

This year was the least number of Community sides to enter for a while, I don't think we should be cutting off more of those entries to suit international sides either

Did any of the Russian teams actually win a game? Didn't the international sides have to reach a certain round before being allowed to play at home?

rldfsignature.jpg

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Yeah, but they do have inter regiment sides (In the Army at least) playing against each other in competitions - don't know what the exact selection policy

Im not sure they should be playing in what is a club competition but that's what the RFL has decided for now

Those teams (and the University teams) do put some players in a difficult position as they may be registered to that side and a community side which can lead to a conflict of loyalties

I think they are entered because of the long standing efforts of many people to get the game recognised in the Armed Forces and Civil Service, they need to be included some how as a recognition to all those people who fought long and hard for years for the recognition. The easiest way to do that is to have the various services recognised as a team.

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Did any of the Russian teams actually win a game? Didn't the international sides have to reach a certain round before being allowed to play at home?

There was once a great TRL meet up in Chorley to watch them play a Russian side.

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It used to be a "controlled" draw, so that could be right, now it's an open draw. That said Toronto will give up home advantage for ties I think 

Not sure of results of Russian sides in the past

5 minutes ago, Padge said:

I think they are entered because of the long standing efforts of many people to get the game recognised in the Armed Forces and Civil Service, they need to be included some how as a recognition to all those people who fought long and hard for years for the recognition. The easiest way to do that is to have the various services recognised as a team.

A Combined Services side has competed in different competitions in the past that side could replace the three seperate sides and open up some slots for expansion if the money and interest is there

35 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It used to be a "controlled" draw, so that could be right, now it's an open draw. That said Toronto will give up home advantage for ties I think 

Not sure of results of Russian sides in the past

no Toronto will play home matches in Manchester.

the Russian sides had to play all their games away

Archived