Jordan Lilley "i've not given up on Leeds

I personally don't see what all the fuss is abut Lilley, I haven't seen anything yet to convince me that he's going to be a top class half back. Other young halves like Patten & Gilmour look like they have far more natural skill & ability as 7's than Lilley does.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

If he's that good he'd be in this Leeds team now . Personally I haven't seen what the hype from some pundits  is about when I've seen him  . If I was at Leeds I'd be more concerned by the seeming stagnation of Sutcliffe . He really did look the part and someone to build a team around but seems to have lost his way

We're so quick to write young players off in this game, it's ridiculous. There is clearly a break down in our development system if we're expecting a 19/20 year old to come out of the Academy and not only play SL week in/out, but more than that to play in the halves and control a team. It's just not realistic, and completely unfair to the players involved.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

If he's that good he'd be in this Leeds team now . Personally I haven't seen what the hype from some pundits  is about when I've seen him  . If I was at Leeds I'd be more concerned by the seeming stagnation of Sutcliffe . He really did look the part and someone to build a team around but seems to have lost his way

Sorry but that's ridiculous. There are many reasons why players don't always make the impact at their parent club. In Leeds case the most obvious reason is that they are a really poor team at the moment, especially in older age group of players, the sort who normally provide the guidance and inspiration to the younger players. Also players just develop at different speeds or suit different clubs and different coaches - that's just how it is.

Lilley was and still is a real talent and Leeds were right to snap him up when they did. Should he make it and it's too early to tell then it may not be at Leeds, but I guarantee he'll come back to haunt you - players always do.

I really don't get why some fans insist on binning players because they initially fail to make an impact - I know it's a short career but it's not that short!

Look at Luke Gale, for years I didn't rate him and I was right not to, for me he was always Lukewarm Gale - but at Cas he's been a revelation and will probably remain just that unless he does something stupid and leaves them. Could write you a list as long as your arm regarding players like this.

The real question you should be asking (I assume you're a Leeds fan) is not why Lilley is failing Leeds but why Leeds are failing Lilley or at least you should be is he carries on playing elsewhere.

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

We're so quick to write young players off in this game, it's ridiculous. There is clearly a break down in our development system if we're expecting a 19/20 year old to come out of the Academy and not only play SL week in/out, but more than that to play in the halves and control a team. It's just not realistic, and completely unfair to the players involved.

Absolutely and the half back is probably the hardest position to master and holds the greatest pressure. The likes of Gale, Kev Brown and Matty Smith all developed later in their careers. Lilley is definitely one to invest in

Archived