Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

General Election thread

10 hours ago, Padge said:

Reality about 3,000

Dianne Abbot about 30,000

Reality is actually only about 125, as you have to pay them every year not just for one year. So £115m would fund 125 officers on ~£30k per year for a 30 year career. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

No campaign statements yet from Naz Shah in my constituency.

Maybe Bradford West Labour Party and the state of Mirpur are still refining the policies.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 minutes ago, ckn said:

Yes, but he's only up against Mary Creagh. She can talk for hours, but effectively says nothing. She's still whining on about Brexit, even though her constituents voted heavily in its favour.

as a politician I rate her on a par with Amber Rudd .... that sort of quality and not striking the voter as being warm and immediately approachable. Mind you, when compared to Liz Truss, she's like a mixture of Oprah Winfrey and Mother Theresa.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Anyone seen the new Tory poster campaign?

corbyn-picture-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqg

Are they serious?  After years of substantial defence spending cuts and persistent devaluation of the military, this is what they think is a good argument?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Are they serious?  After years of substantial defence spending cuts and persistent devaluation of the military, this is what they think is a good argument?

The navy haven't got any anti ship missiles due to cuts...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

14 minutes ago, ckn said:

People will fall for it. You still get the lines "Labour trashed the economy" parroted by those of a Daily Mail disposition despite the evidence to the contrary. there is reliable evidence to prove that Labour governments borrowed less and repaid more than the Tories. But mud sticks. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

34 minutes ago, ckn said:

It will work. It's already working.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

C-5HmpIXkAAW8Fv.jpg

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

36 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

People will fall for it. You still get the lines "Labour trashed the economy" parroted by those of a Daily Mail disposition despite the evidence to the contrary. there is reliable evidence to prove that Labour governments borrowed less and repaid more than the Tories. But mud sticks. 

One thing Labour is never short of these days is bullets for shooting itself in the foot, as yesterday proved.

So far it's been like a masterclass in how not to run an effective political campaign.

They make it so easy for the Tories.

32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It will work. It's already working.

Don't know why people are surprised. The Tories could put up posters saying they're going to drown puppies and they'd still win this election. There is no credible opposition, simple as that. As bad as people may think the Tories are the bottom line is that they think the alternative is worse. The Labour front bench is quite simply unelectable and most people wouldn't trust them with the remote for the telly never mind with the great offices of state. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Don't know why people are surprised. The Tories could put up posters saying they're going to drown puppies and they'd still win this election. There is no credible opposition, simple as that. As bad as people may think the Tories are the bottom line is that they think the alternative is worse. The Labour front bench is quite simply unelectable and most people wouldn't trust them with the remote for the telly never mind with the great offices of state. 

Yep.  The Tories have already substantially hinted that they'll be increasing taxes, fiddling adversely with pensions, increasing the pressure on the NHS, not giving any lee-way to the other austerity hit areas of public service, taking us off the Brexit cliff at full sprint, increasing trade with despotic and undesirable other countries because that's their thing, ignore criminal prosecutions against their MPs, happily take money from people even the Kippers would avoid, and many many more, yet to many centrists they're still not as bad as the potential for Corbyn, Abbott, et al.

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The navy haven't got any anti ship missiles due to cuts...

They still have some for the moment until next year when Harpoon goes out of service. Then we will just have air launched anti ship missiles .

Edited by Ramite

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Just now, Ramite said:

They still have some for the moment until next year when Harpoon goes out of service. Then we will have air launched anti ship missiles .

And carriers where one is permanently mothballed and the other is to be outfitted with planes paid for in US$ that's a lot more expensive than a year ago...

12 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yup. The Tories are, to quote someone else, currently playing politics with the game set to 'easy' mode because Labour are, basically, beyond a joke and the rest are mostly invisible.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Ramite said:

They still have some for the moment until next year when Harpoon goes out of service. Then we will just have air launched anti ship missiles .

I think they would rather have some more Harpoons than rely on Skua (which is pretty old now).

A 100% on the money line from The Times:

C-5eod6XYAAjJzd.jpg:large

• Like 2

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A 100% on the money line from The Times:

C-5eod6XYAAjJzd.jpg:large

Presuming May wins this election I firmly believe that in 5 years time things will look very different and the Tories will be blamed for it.

That's why it's important that Labour are in a position to take advantage. The longer the likes of Corbyn hangs on the less likely this is to be the case.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Presuming May wins this election I firmly believe that in 5 years time things will look very different and the Tories will be blamed for it.

That's why it's important that Labour are in a position to take advantage. The longer the likes of Corbyn hangs on the less likely this is to be the case.

If Corbyn doesn't resign after the election, and the likes of Len McCluskey keep him in place, then the party will finally split. It would simply be unsustainable to continue, even taking into account the difficulties of starting a new party, finding the resources, long-standing loyalties breaking, etc.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

Reality is actually only about 125, as you have to pay them every year not just for one year. So £115m would fund 125 officers on ~£30k per year for a 30 year career. 

The tax take comes in every year, not just 1 year. :rolleyes:

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

35 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm always impressed by anyone who can foresee events five years down the track.

You have a remarkable gift.

27 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm always impressed by anyone who can foresee events five years down the track.

You have a remarkable gift.

Theresa May is telling us she will make a success of Brexit if she is re-elected for five years.

She can't possibly know, but it isn't stopping her making the claim on a daily basis.

35 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

If Corbyn doesn't resign after the election, and the likes of Len McCluskey keep him in place, then the party will finally split. It would simply be unsustainable to continue, even taking into account the difficulties of starting a new party, finding the resources, long-standing loyalties breaking, etc.

Remember this headline of  pre-Brexit days - "Richard Branson's Virgin Group is to help bankroll a campaign set up in secret by Blairite former ministers and advisers to derail Brexit, The Independent can reveal." 

Well according to a report on one of the tv channels the other day, this group is still meeting, but they are not talking about Brexit anymore, according to a 'parliamentary source', they are looking at forming a new 'centrist Labour party' if and when Corbyn gets his bottom handed to him on a plate after the election.