21-23 Apr: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup - Round Five Match Thread

4 hours ago, GaryO said:

Salford score again through O'Brien

Toronto seemingly according to the commentary losing all discipline, Conversion good 12 mins left,28 - 16

The loss will do them good. They have now tasted the standard they have to achieve so hope Rowley gives them a right rollicking over lack of discipline. One of the hardest things to achieve in our sport 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Full day's Challenge Cup results:
Salford Red Devils 29:22 Toronto Wolfpack
Huddersfield Giants 24:28 Swinton Lions
Dewsbury Rams 23:22 Batley
Featherstone Rovers 30:4 Oldham
Whitehaven 12:36 Halifax
York City 28:50 Barrow

The cup is dead because there are two many blowout scores.

Let's cut the lower league teams, play it as a sort of mini League 1 cup with pools and then have the quarter finals at Magic Weekend. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Let's cut the lower league teams, play it as a sort of mini League 1 cup with pools and then have the quarter finals at Magic Weekend. 

The cup is a perfect example of rl fans almost killing something brilliant off with their negative propoganda.

People are convinced this tournament is a waste of time.

Personally its given me some of my favourite moments of my life.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The cup is a perfect example of rl fans almost killing something brilliant off with their negative propoganda.

People are convinced this tournament is a waste of time.

Personally its given me some of my favourite moments of my life.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

Can I remind you of August 27th last year, when....

(Cough)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

24 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

(Cough)

A wonderful moment for our game with spine-tingling individual performanxes all over the field. Not necessarily for me and Dave, but we have had our fun there before.

The cup is absolutely magnificent. I despair when I see people trying to come up with 'cleer' ways to 'save' it, although I do also despair when I see things like there only being two weeks between rounds and the draw being on a Tuesday night. That is an invitation for crowds not being as big as they could be if you gave clubs time to promote games.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I've no problems with the cup on the field , although the scheduling and timescales leaves a bit to be desired as the rounds progress and maybe it's a memory of great finals of the past but it would be great if possible to get back to a spring final . It's a bit sidetracked by SL now

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I've no problems with the cup on the field , although the scheduling and timescales leaves a bit to be desired as the rounds progress and maybe it's a memory of great finals of the past but it would be great if possible to get back to a spring final . It's a bit sidetracked by SL now

Unless you have nearly all the rounds in pre-season (affecting the on-field quality), won't it be difficult to have a Spring final in this era of Summer Rugby?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

A wonderful moment for our game with spine-tingling individual performanxes all over the field. Not necessarily for me and Dave, but we have had our fun there before.

The cup is absolutely magnificent. I despair when I see people trying to come up with 'cleer' ways to 'save' it, although I do also despair when I see things like there only being two weeks between rounds and the draw being on a Tuesday night. That is an invitation for crowds not being as big as they could be if you gave clubs time to promote games.

In recent years, we've seen people complain that there's too long a wait between rounds, which kills interest. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

In recent years, we've seen people complain that there's too long a wait between rounds, which kills interest. 

And they were right too. We bunch up pairs of rounds and then have something like two months between the 6th round and the quarters.

It should be three-week gaps, with 4/5 weeks between semis and final.

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Unless you have nearly all the rounds in pre-season (affecting the on-field quality), won't it be difficult to have a Spring final in this era of Summer Rugby?

Indeed . Maybe  a bit earlier though to give a bigger gap to the GF ? Tough one as you say 

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

(Cough)

Or there was my own favourite moment, 7th May 1983!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Or play it early in the season like the County Cups used to be, with the final reverting to May.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Maybe  a bit earlier though to give a bigger gap to the GF ? Tough one as you say 

Maybe on one of Mr Corbyn's suggested new Bank Holiday weekends. :imsohappy:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Or play it early in the season like the County Cups used to be, with the final reverting to May.

When would you start the first round of the cup, for a May final?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Or there was my own favourite moment, 7th May 1983!

I refer you to Dave's reply to my post that you quoted.

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Yeah that's right. Let's take away the cash lifeline of these small clubs. It is now the only chance of playing a big club now all the other competitions have been scrapped

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Just now, DEANO said:

Yeah that's right. Let's take away the cash lifeline of these small clubs. It is now the only chance of playing a big club now all the other competitions have been scrapped

Oh dear, sarcasm lost on you Deano?

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

When would you start the first round of the cup, for a May final?

Play the rounds at regular intervals between League games, in February, March and April, as the County Cups were played in August, September and October, with a final early in November, same thing really, just different months. Perhaps the Beeb would be happy to show them on Saturdays when the don't have a 6N game.

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, stewpot01 said:

Clown

I thought JB was making a parody post. Now I'm just confused! :search:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I thought JB was making a parody post. Now I'm just confused! :search:

Dos he ever do a different type of post? :huh:

13 hours ago, John Rhino said:

The loss will do them good. They have now tasted the standard they have to achieve so hope Rowley gives them a right rollicking over lack of discipline. One of the hardest things to achieve in our sport 

Can't help but thinking that there is some irony in that statement John, when Rowley was at Leigh he and the team were castigated in these pages as being dirty, undisciplined, and thugs from supporters of the other Championship clubs they played regularly.

I think there were a number of ex Leigh players in the Squad yesterday, but according to the radio commentary the main perpetrators of foul play were Jack Bussey and Ryan Bailey, both never played for Leigh so is Rowley the one to give them a "rollicking" or is he the common denominator?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Archived