Sign in to follow this  
Roughyedz

Toronto v Coventry

29 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

I'm going to go with 7589.  And I hope I'm wrong in a good way.

Was that record for the US game at Lamport?

I would say North of 8000, The way the team have been on and off-field anything less would be disappointing.  Record-breaking RL attendence in Canada at least.  I just hope I can get parking! #gtaproblems

• Like 1

Consistent increases is the key metric, not necessarily the magnitude of the increase, in my opinion.

I would be thrilled with an 8000+ crowd though.  Never mind the players, the event management team needs to bring their A-game every week as well with this level of success.

And don't get me started on Toronto parking, I often think about splashing the cash on a Sherman tank to remove my parking troubles!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

Consistent increases is the key metric, not necessarily the magnitude of the increase, in my opinion.

I would be thrilled with an 8000+ crowd though.  Never mind the players, the event management team needs to bring their A-game every week as well with this level of success.

And don't get me started on Toronto parking, I often think about splashing the cash on a Sherman tank to remove my parking troubles!

I'd forgotten that sketch!

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Me as well!! Bloody subconscious at work there! Brilliant.

And all in the best possible taste. :)

1 hour ago, Genghis Campbell said:

They reported 7356 for this one and it looks about right from what the cameras showed.

• Like 1

Since i started this topic it seems to have gone around the houses once or twice. Consensus seems to be between 8,000  @ 8,500. At this rate Toronto will need a 20,000 stadium by last match of season . .ha ha ha ha :scare:

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Just now, Futtocks said:

I'd forgotten that sketch!

You guys have got to get with the times...this is the baby the Canadian Forces uses now...imagine it on the 401?

images.jpg

Just now, Roughyedz said:

Since i started this topic it seems to have gone around the houses once or twice. Consensus seems to be between 8,000  @ 8,500. At this rate Toronto will need a 20,000 stadium by last match of season . .ha ha ha ha :scare:

Don't laugh...it just might happen..you've got to believe!

Is there much promotion on social media, twitter and all that jazz? I'm a bit of a internet caveman, computer games and youtube. Never got into twitter or face book. Share, share, share boys, any interesting Toronto news or videos, even other rugby league stuff. Its how people promote these days. Get it out there if you got the time and think to do so.

Edited by B rad

29 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You guys have got to get with the times...this is the baby the Canadian Forces uses now...imagine it on the 401?

images.jpg

Might have to settle for an M3 Half Track, I can at least get my hands on one of those lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CanaBull said:

We had an ex-Coventry Bears player with us in the Ontario Rugby League a couple of years ago.  Johnny 'Shiny' Nicholls played lock for us at Oakville and was an assistant coach with the Wolverines.

Certainly a character was Shiny.  Hope he can make it back to Toronto some day.

Where did he get tge nickname "Shiny"?

He was known as " Maddog" to us.

He will tell you he was the first Captain the Bears had. He played in our first ever game and regularly turned out for us until he went off to Canada. He is back here now. We see him occasionally.

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

I think it was Cory Tukeli who came up with it, nickels being the 5 cent coin over here, it just stuck after that.  Maddog fits well too!

• Like 1

Just now, Genghis Campbell said:

I would say North of 8000, The way the team have been on and off-field anything less would be disappointing.  Record-breaking RL attendence in Canada at least.  I just hope I can get parking! #gtaproblems

Just now, CanaBull said:

Hey guys...as you know its also a long drive for me to the stadium so , as ex-military, I went down on a clandestine recce of the entire area around Liberty Village 6 hours before the last game.  There is plenty of good parking if you drive south on Fraser Ave. (this is the street directly on the west side of the stadium) for only one block.  It is marked as municipal parking and was good (and only $4).  I would not advise the parking at the the southern most point of Fraser as it looks a little sketchy. There is also an interesting little drinking hole on this side of the stadium! 

Also if you park where I recommended, after the game, you can take a number of short cuts west on the local streets to get back on the Gardiner via Jamieson...this is better than going north on Fraser and then west on King St. West and then south on Jamieson to get to the Gardiner...saves exactly 7 minutes.

There is plenty of easy access parking around the stadium if you know where to look and should not be a problem even when the sell outs begin to happen!

• Like 1

The only problems happen when Toronto FC are playing at the same time or there is something going on at the fairgrounds.  The Wolverines had some event coordination issues last year and it was literal gridlock.

As far as escape routes, going east on Liberty Street to Strachan and down to Lakeshore can often be quicker than the King/Jamieson route, as can heading south on Dufferin and through the fairgrounds to Lakeshore via British Columbia Drive.

• Like 1

Just now, CanaBull said:

The only problems happen when Toronto FC are playing at the same time or there is something going on at the fairgrounds.  The Wolverines had some event coordination issues last year and it was literal gridlock.

As far as escape routes, going east on Liberty Street to Strachan and down to Lakeshore can often be quicker than the King/Jamieson route, as can heading south on Dufferin and through the fairgrounds to Lakeshore via British Columbia Drive.

Thanks for the intel. 

Sempter Fidelis!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

No concessions were made by anyone for the Middlesex Sevens.

7s scrums are more like RL scrums. A full 16-man scrum is brutal on front-row players. 

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Hey guys...as you know its also a long drive for me to the stadium so , as ex-military, I went down on a clandestine recce of the entire area around Liberty Village 6 hours before the last game.  There is plenty of good parking if you drive south on Fraser Ave. (this is the street directly on the west side of the stadium) for only one block.  It is marked as municipal parking and was good (and only $4).  I would not advise the parking at the the southern most point of Fraser as it looks a little sketchy. There is also an interesting little drinking hole on this side of the stadium! 

Also if you park where I recommended, after the game, you can take a number of short cuts west on the local streets to get back on the Gardiner via Jamieson...this is better than going north on Fraser and then west on King St. West and then south on Jamieson to get to the Gardiner...saves exactly 7 minutes.

There is plenty of easy access parking around the stadium if you know where to look and should not be a problem even when the sell outs begin to happen!

Gentleman and a scholar sir!  I hope to be parked by 3 pm, traffic permitting!

Looking forward to Coventry game but really juiced about July 1 as they play my hometown of York (well Dunnington actually-5 miles down the road) Have asked the York boys if they can get me a Knights shirt before the game (I will wear my Wolfpack hat and Knights shirt and support both sides) but they didn't reply and their online shop isn't actually online yet..grrrr.

18 hours ago, Roughyedz said:

8000 would basically make them comparably supported with the Cardiff Blues, and bigger than Gwent Dragons (sorry for Union references, I am going with what I know.)

not a GTA resident, but I can't think of another stadium I would want them in at present - a packed out small stadium beats a half empty BMO Field.  I have only seen it on TV but there is a certain charm to Lamport, certainly not the bland corporate experience you get in most pro sports over here.

• Like 2

Jees, can we stop with the Yawnion speel fellas? Isn't this thread about the game on Saturday????

1 hour ago, Genghis Campbell said:

8000 would basically make them comparably supported with the Cardiff Blues, and bigger than Gwent Dragons 

WTF are you talking about?

Lets see how many come out in the sunshine on Saturday vs Coventry it should be a good indicator of how the summer will go .I agree Lamport has a charm to it and hope they stay there and make it their own. They could take over some of the parking lot at the south end and add another stand and make it a 13-14000 seat stadium. That way Liberty Village bars and restaurants that are supporting them now would benefit and no conflict with Toronto FC.

• Like 1