I'm a convert to Aldi. I believe they only have one wine buyer and he gets hold of some real gems at sensible prices.

Their Argie Malbec at £5.99 a bottle is a big favourite in our house. For a very nice, very drinkable, very cheap glugger, the Toro Loco Superior at less than four quid a bottle is very popular for good reason.

Just sampling their equivalent of Bombay Sapphire gin at the mo, it's called Topaz Blue. Very nice and less than £14 a bottle. Their "Oliver Cromwell" bog standard gin at less than a tenner is staggeringly good value also.

I can also highly recommend their Highland Black 8 year old blended Scotch and Chevalier cognac. Sure, the brand names are bit naff, but they are all excellent value for money.

Ordered a couple of bottles from the famous Camel Valley vineyard in Cornwall.

One a bottle of Pinot Noir English Sparkling Rose at £26.99 and the other a bottle of English Sparkling Red (yes, Red) that had to be served chilled at £19.99.

The Sparkling Rose is the best I've ever tried with seriously fruity undertones and refreshing finish.

The Sparkling Red was bought for the novelty of it and was light as you might expect.

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ordered a couple of bottles from the famous Camel Valley vineyard in Cornwall.

One a bottle of Pinot Noir English Sparkling Rose at £26.99 and the other a bottle of English Sparkling Red (yes, Red) that had to be served chilled at £19.99.

The Sparkling Rose is the best I've ever tried with seriously fruity undertones and refreshing finish.

The Sparkling Red was bought for the novelty of it and was light as you might expect.

The first time I had sparkling red, I thought I'd bought white, and almost dropped the glass when I started pouring!

I've discovered an extremely good wine shop only a short distance away from where I live: https://millhillwines.com/  A really eclectic and interesting wine selection, plus a small section for beer and a more than decent range of spirits. Unfortunately, their website is a bit pants for browsing products.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 2017-6-17 at 0:26 PM, BryanC said:

I'm a convert to Aldi. I believe they only have one wine buyer and he gets hold of some real gems at sensible prices.

Their Argie Malbec at £5.99 a bottle is a big favourite in our house. For a very nice, very drinkable, very cheap glugger, the Toro Loco Superior at less than four quid a bottle is very popular for good reason.

Just sampling their equivalent of Bombay Sapphire gin at the mo, it's called Topaz Blue. Very nice and less than £14 a bottle. Their "Oliver Cromwell" bog standard gin at less than a tenner is staggeringly good value also.

I can also highly recommend their Highland Black 8 year old blended Scotch and Chevalier cognac. Sure, the brand names are bit naff, but they are all excellent value for money.

Update on this. The Aldi Topaz Blue IS Bombay Sapphire. Friend of a friend works at the bottling plant (Greenall's at Warrington). Oh, and the Malbec is now £6.29, but still good value !

On 2017-6-16 at 10:48 AM, RidingPie said:

I currently like the Yellow Tail Jammy Red Roo at about £7 from Tesco. Very drinkable. 

I think some of the Yellow Tail wines are, pound for pound, right up there. In particular, I love the Shiraz.

I remember bringing cases of the stuff back from Calais in 2000 and at less that £2 a bottle!

In England, you can still pick it up for around £7 a bottle.

Archived