A friend gave me a bottle of 2016 Argentine Malbec " La Bodega" She told me her son had bought a couple of bottles for her as it was half price at £4.50 instead of £9.00.she had enjoyed it and do wanted me to try it too.

I didn't like to ask where he had bought it, but I will as it really is a very nice wine especially considering its lack of age.

Any tips for other bargains?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Best bargain I got was in the intermarché in France.

Deryck Lightfoot had been knocking Esprit du Parvie at £22 a bottle. I didn't mind paying the 20 quid a go for a case.... a lovely drop.

So in we goes to the intermarché last year.... 14 yo scapa whisky.... yes, the good stuff at €33 And Esprit du Parvie at €9.90!

Naturally, we cleared them out.

We had a raid on Auchan at Coquelles in May.  Came back loaded up with a nice dry white, generic name though.  Super U is usually pretty good too.  Hopefully going back to France this summer.  Don't suppose I'll be able bring back much from my flying visit to Toulouse in July (except a Fev win hopefully!)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The cost of wine on the continent is something to behold. Although paying €25 for a bottle of red in a restaurant, and then seeing it in the local shop the next morning for €3 was very annoying, especially for a tight Yorkshireman.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Best bargain I got was in the intermarché in France.

Deryck Lightfoot had been knocking Esprit du Parvie at £22 a bottle. I didn't mind paying the 20 quid a go for a case.... a lovely drop.

So in we goes to the intermarché last year.... 14 yo scapa whisky.... yes, the good stuff at €33 And Esprit du Parvie at €9.90!

Naturally, we cleared them out.

Naturally.

Waitrose in Stroud on Monday, 25% off three bottles of Cote du Rhone at £6 a bottle.

Wotwine says Lidl the best supermarket to buy wine, with Aldi in second place. The findings, based on blind tastings of more than 4,000 supermarket wines, suggested that 65% of Lidl’s wines (and 64% of Aldi’s) were good value for money, against 35% (36% for Aldi) that were poor value. This compared to 45% and 55% for Tesco, and a damning 26/74 ratio for Marks & Spencer.

Lidl is very good for a cheap but decent bottle of plonk. They do a Californian red Zinfandel that certainly outperforms its sub-£5 price tag.

I mainly buy from Sainsbury's though, as it is the closest to home. Their own label 'Taste the Difference' wines are pretty reliable for the price, even when they aren't discounted.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm a bit of a soak and tend to drink the local red or rose from St Paul de Fenouillet at a wallet spanking €9 for 5 litres.  Eloi Pellisier's cousin has a winery there which caters for a more sophisticated palate than mine.  http://www.maspeyre.com/

For those with a bit more taste than me, then I would recommend when taking in a Catalan Dragons game, a visit to the wonderful Domaine Treloar.  http://www.domainetreloar.com/  Fascinating wines, great winery, tours, lovely people, amazing back story, and available in the UK for very reasonable prices.

When I first started dating my ex we went to the English National Opera to see The Magic Flute, then on to Marco Pierre Whites La Mirabelle, when the Sommelier offered us the wine list I saw a bottle of wine for £20,000. I managed to avoid it and ordered a bottle at £25, which he didn't have, but offered us a replacement at same cost which was priced at £45. Very nice.

I nipped into a Tesco to get a few bits for tea and a 1.5 litre bottle of their claret a few years back. The claret itself was about £8/£9 from memory. When I got to the till the whole lot came to about a fiver. I didnt argue but scrutinised the receipt when I was safely back home. I noticed the claret marked down as a 37.5cl bottle at about £1.80. When I examined the bottle, I realised that they'd put the incorrect label on the reverse, the label that just happened to have the barcode on it.

I popped back and cleared the rest of their stock.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

2 hours ago, RidingPie said:

I currently like the Yellow Tail Jammy Red Roo at about £7 from Tesco. Very drinkable. 

I quite enjoy the occasional Yellow Tail red, but they can be too vanilla-ish sometimes.

I just got a case delivered today from Virgin Wines. Some interesting stuff, too.

Baciato appassimento (Negroamaro)
Eghemon Passimiento (Nero d'Avola)
Marsc (Shiraz)
'No Name' (Tempranillo)
Les Hautes Terrasses (Grenache/Shiraz)
La Sanglier Sauvage (not sure what grape variety)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I quite enjoy the occasional Yellow Tail red, but they can be too vanilla-ish sometimes.

I just got a case delivered today from Virgin Wines. Some interesting stuff, too.

Baciato appassimento (Negroamaro)
Eghemon Passimiento (Nero d'Avola)
Marsc (Shiraz)
'No Name' (Tempranillo)
Les Hautes Terrasses (Grenache/Shiraz)
La Sanglier Sauvage (not sure what grape variety)

I quite like Virgin Wines, I usually buy a case for Christmas. 

10 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I quite like Virgin Wines, I usually buy a case for Christmas. 

Sometimes I buy a 12-bottle case of the mid-priced favourites, but recently, they have been ringing up and offering 6-bottle cases of something a bit more special, like Perez Cruz or Albacore.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Changing the topic slightly, does anyone get involved in the craft lager craze? Some of the Brew Dogs are pretty decent,  but I much prefer the Ales, especially form Wolds and Saltire.

It's probably the best time ever to be a beer drinker. Such a diverse range covering all tastes.

When I was growing up the big 6 basically owned everything and sold pizz far and wide

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

It's probably the best time ever to be a beer drinker. Such a diverse range covering all tastes.

When I was growing up the big 6 basically owned everything and sold pizz far and wide

I agree, I met a client for a drink in Leeds on Wednesday night. The sheer choice of both drinks and drinking establishments is huge. We I first started going out you had the choice or Edwards, Harvey's or Berlins, and then either to Europa or Majestyk. 

10 minutes ago, shrek said:

I really like the Trivento Malbec from Argentina, but it only scores 3.5 out of 5 from 5295 reviews on Vino, so perhaps its just the best red in my local Spar!

It is good value for money, but some of those reviews will be absolute judgement on how good it is, and some will be comparing it to similarly-priced competition.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

It is good value for money, but some of those reviews will be absolute judgement on how good it is, and some will be comparing it to similarly-priced competition.

At the 5-6 quid a bottle range it can hold it's own.

On our visits to the Loire I buy 'cot' variety wines. Same grape. Earthy full on taste.... great with a winter roast. Not over priced and compares favourably with slightly more expensive wines produced further south.

Archived