Its a shame the Championship isn't on TV

Toulouse winning last week at Hull KR, this week over Fev

Fax v Hull KR to come today.

Clashes like London v Fev, Hull KR v Bradford etc etc

Surely, 1 game a week on Sky isn't too much to ask for from the Championship.

Face it, this week SL games very little drama. Last game of the 23 round stage, all positions sorted in terms of top 8, bottom 4.

But it Fax v Hull was on today, thats a game I would love to see, as its sudden death for Fax. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disgrace , and they lock the rights in . Rugby league does not equal super league , then in the middle 8s , like the bash , they'll have the temerity to up the championship and tell you how great it is . But they pad their channels with rubbish 

9 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Is the audience really that small?

Apparently, if clubs are worried about how many fans the visiting team will bring with them.  You can bet that soccer clubs don't worry about that.

8 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Is the audience really that small?

Size is largely irrelevant. One way or the other televising games does have an impact on attendances.

32 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Televising games is great , until it affects attendances 

I don't think people would stop going to games if they were televised, unless it's London V Batley on a Thursday night. 

TV can create greater exposure for these clubs, especially the expansion clubs and could even contribute growth in attendance for them 

Just now, West Leeds Riviera said:

I don't think people would stop going to games if they were televised, unless it's London V Batley on a Thursday night. 

TV can create greater exposure for these clubs, especially the expansion clubs and could even contribute growth in attendance for them 

I agree. I can remember when Whitehaven played Warrington in a televised challenge cup game at the recre a few years back I attended the game with about 12 workmates who'd either hadn't been since they were kids or hadn't been at all before. 

6 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I agree. I can remember when Whitehaven played Warrington in a televised challenge cup game at the recre a few years back I attended the game with about 12 workmates who'd either hadn't been since they were kids or hadn't been at all before. 

Agree. Agree.

Growing up down south And playing union I didn't get into league because of the local team. It was on TV and more exciting than most union games so I was a fan from day 1.

34 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Apparently, if clubs are worried about how many fans the visiting team will bring with them.  You can bet that soccer clubs don't worry about that.

Depends how much the clubs get paid for the coverage 

19 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Cup games have a different dynamic and interest 

28 minutes ago, dhw said:

Size is largely irrelevant. One way or the other televising games does have an impact on attendances.

given the tightwad that complained on here that admission fees to Championship games was too high, free to ait Championship games will inevitably result in lower attendances. Will TV fees makeup for that loss of income? 

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Cup games have a different dynamic and interest 

Fair point. Plus Warrington were a super league outfit but I'm not sure these people would have attended had it not been on TV. A lot of them just wanted to get their face on the telly. Also there's no reason why clubs couldn't build the game up similar to a cup tie with promotion of the game in the local media.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Televising games is great , until it affects attendances 

Agree, many parents would baulk at taking their kids to see a game where people smash prostrate opponents' heads into the ground after seeing it close up on TV.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

21 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I would've thought TV money plus extra sponsorship/advertising money would compensate for the lower than normal crowd.

Not to mention the added publicity and exposure that being on TV brings.

Telling potential sponsors that their names will be seen on tv could well just swing them into coughing up some cash.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

When the Championship was on SKY for the Thursday night matches about 5/6/7 years ago the home club used to receive £ 2,000 which had to be spent on promoting/providing pre/half time entertainment , essentially marketing the game ( you had to provide receipts to prove it ) 

Rarely would this make up for a shortfall in attendances 

On the sponsorship , again , Championship sides tend to have local sponsors , so having ' Batley tyre services ' shown on TV isn't going to bring them extra business from Bradford , some will argue they should sell to larger less regional businesses for these games as we sometimes see in the FA Cup when lower or non league teams are at home to the ' big guns ' , that is also an issue as those local guys wouldn't be happy to see ' Betfred' over their signage , not forgetting the costs involved in changing the signage 

It isn't that simple , I know this as for 4 years I was a director at a Championship club 

51 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Agree, many parents would baulk at taking their kids to see a game where people smash prostrate opponents' heads into the ground after seeing it close up on TV.

Doesn`t seem to have any affect on the GF viewing figures!

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

54 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Another obsessed , let it go youll feel much better 

Archived