Elite 1 follow-up

Hvy wg

59 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I'd highly recommend it, some very talented rugby players, the difficulty is getting them to try league, the toulon union president likes league and league players go to toulon, most other areas are anti league,

If it wasn't for the bus ride we probably would have won, not because we where better just we are more experienced at league, the toulon players where cramping up early in the second half and couldn't handle us as we attacked their inexperience around the ruck, I reckon in the second part of the season they'll be even better when they get used to league, 

Apparently they've 31 players all from union and some have turned down union clubs to enjoy playing league, they're a group of mates who have been together a few years in the toulon system,

The first 20 mins they hit the ball up hard and tackled hard but tired and made union  mistakes like no markers,  kicking on the first tackle and not worried about being tackled into touch,

Hopefully they can stay together and get a team in elite 1 in a couple of years 

The Toulon president has obviously got plenty of money to throw around on the likes of Jonny Wilkinson in the past and Bryan Habana today.  Is there any chance of him investing in League?  From what little I know about him, he seems to be very proud to be from Toulon first and foremost, and a successful treize team would only cost a fraction of his investment in union.  Chris Ashton and Ma'a Nonu could guest.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week 3 update :

1- SO AVIGNON  9 pts + 13
2- ST ESTEVE/CATALAN 7 pts + 57
3- ALBI 7 pts +54
4- LIMOUX 7 pts- +31
5- AS CARCASSONNE  7 pts + 19
6- TOULOUSE 6 pts -15
7- FC LEZIGNAN 5 pts -5
8- VILLENEUVE SUR LOT  4 pts -29
9- ST GAUDENS  1 pt -42
10- PALAU  1 pt -91

Ex-Catalans U19 players are everywhere.

Main concern about the League is that teams aren't big enough. Albi are doing great thanks to their big foreign recruits putting every pack to shame. Skill wise, intesity wise it's a very good league, the standard is high!

11 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Is there any chance of him investing in League?  

who knows ;)

i cannot see 31 Young unions players (even 10 would be an emergency case for TOULON XV) leaving TOULON XV to play XIII without a plan from UNION XV.

IMPOSSIBLE.

they had the agreement/recommandation from their XV club. i wont call them "rejects" but "investment".

Are they really 31 from XV to XIII???

Yes all let go. In France the union clubs take the cream of young players and coach them at the club up to under 16s I think, the best stay and the weaker players are sent out to feeder clubs so the main club still has the registration in case they're late developers, so they're still usually well trained  kids who can play a bit, the main problem is the fact most union players won't come to league  and the ones interested usually go back due to being able to get alot more money to play at a lower level, 

10 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Yes all let go. In France the union clubs take the cream of young players and coach them at the club up to under 16s I think, the best stay and the weaker players are sent out to feeder clubs so the main club still has the registration in case they're late developers, so they're still usually well trained  kids who can play a bit, the main problem is the fact most union players won't come to league  and the ones interested usually go back due to being able to get alot more money to play at a lower level, 

That should scream "here it is" to League clubs though.

Toulon juniors performing that well while they don't even know the game yet! Gotta start scouting the s... out of them. I know Espoirs (sort of U23 for Union) guys at 1200e/month at USAP and some of them are playing Pro D2.

The reservoir is massive in union,it's mainly the bad blood and stigma between the 2 sports stopping this happening, for example this could never happen in narbonne or carcassonne as the union really hate the league side and vice versa. Maybe toulon is far enough away and intelligent enough to realize league is not a risk to union and can survive together, maybe they don't care about the history of the two sports and see rugby as rugby,

They gave a great welcome when the France v England under 16 played in toulon with Johnny and a few stars coming to the game and allowing the rugby league to use their facilities,I think toulon set up is the way forward,let's hope it lasts 

Well… I agree with both of you about the huge reservoir and the fact that lots of young union players are left on the side... and that league could benefit from that. But it does not work like that for the reasons you pointed out : XIII and XV hate each other, and XV will send their left on the side to reserve union side (and NOT to league). 

but the fact that these 31 players started RL as ”one”, all together, like : ”let s try it, could be fun”… I dont know... 3 or 4 of them, why not. But a entire team??

We should start a thread about them. Honestly people, this is the biggest news of the year:

The world cup? Yeah great!!

A pro female competition in the NRL? Awesome!

Toronto Kicking ass? Amazing development

New York getting ready? Sweet

31 youngsters from one of the biggest union club in the world just drop RU to RL (and kick ass in U19 competition)… WAIT. WHAAAAT?

The fact that Toulon Union coach assist the catalans training, the fact that the Toulon owner want to sell a part of his club to invest in Rugby… could it be an investment in RL?

Don't start getting carried away it's a group of mates who went through the toulon system and are now trying league, hopefully something good comes from it, losing 31 players to league is nothing,even at narbonne union the u14 team has more players than the full lezignan rugby league school from u6 to u 14! 

They have a couple of props who played lock in union that are very good, the back line is quick and agile,they've only one union prop in the team, the rest are athlétique with great footwork! Even the forwards, 

fair enough, I will calm down :D BUT on here we all agree for ages that RL in france could tap into the RU reservoir.. and suddenly an entire team!!  I know it is no big loss for RU, but it is very surprising that they let them go to RL...

Danny Hulme didn't appear for Villeneuve against ASC but their front row was all English Jones-Million-Redewick.Villeneuve's Danny is the son of David Hulme an outstanding Chemics player of yesteryear while cousin Lewis Hulme playing at Toulouse reserves in Elite 1 is Paul Hulme' son - like brother David a GB international. Unlike last year  USV U19s appear competitive this term too - the David Ellis effect hopefully. On the father/sons thing see that Peter Lima's lad Pierre-Jean Lima featured on the wing against Palau. It's not long ago that he was playing in the French U17s against England Schools.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

3 hours ago, audois said:

On the father/sons thing see that Peter Lima's lad Pierre-Jean Lima featured on the wing against Palau. It's not long ago that he was playing in the French U17s against England Schools.

Pierre-Jean Lima played for France U16s against England this year so can't be more than a few months over 17, surprised to see him appearing on the wing as he was a back rower at junior level.

26 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Pierre-Jean Lima played for France U16s against England this year so can't be more than a few months over 17, surprised to see him appearing on the wing as he was a back rower at junior level.

I've heard some outstanding reports about Pierre-Jean Lima. One for the future. 

The local paper named a "team of the week" before the Christmas break.

1. Luc Franco (Limoux)
2. Gauban (Villeneuve)
3. Ambert (Catalans)
4. Gregorius (Lezignan)
5. Izard (Carcassonne)
6. Bissière (Avignon)
7. Castany (Albi)
8. Beasley (Albi)
9. Ganz (Avignon)
10. Jamil (Carcassonne)
11. Torres (Palau)
12. Stacul (Lezignan)
13. Ors (Lezignan)

In bold, players that have been part of the Catalans set up at some point.

Most points goes to Joan Guasch (40), most tries to Ambert (Catalans), R.Franco (Catalans), Soubeyras (Carcassonne) and Izard (Carcassonne) with 4 in 3 games. Each week, the paper gives point to the best players, Ambert is leading with 9 points, Manuokafoa (Albi) second with 8.

Louis Gauban (Villeneuve) is catching my eye, it's his first year in League IIRC and he's got "natural" qualities. He scored a brace against Saint Estève then another one against Carcassonne.

52 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

The local paper named a "team of the week" before the Christmas break.

1. Luc Franco (Limoux)
2. Gauban (Villeneuve)
3. Ambert (Catalans)
4. Gregorius (Lezignan)
5. Izard (Carcassonne)
6. Bissière (Avignon)
7. Castany (Albi)
8. Beasley (Albi)
9. Ganz (Avignon)
10. Jamil (Carcassonne)
11. Torres (Palau)
12. Stacul (Lezignan)
13. Ors (Lezignan)

In bold, players that have been part of the Catalans set up at some point.

Most points goes to Joan Guasch (40), most tries to Ambert (Catalans), R.Franco (Catalans), Soubeyras (Carcassonne) and Izard (Carcassonne) with 4 in 3 games. Each week, the paper gives point to the best players, Ambert is leading with 9 points, Manuokafoa (Albi) second with 8.

Louis Gauban (Villeneuve) is catching my eye, it's his first year in League IIRC and he's got "natural" qualities. He scored a brace against Saint Estève then another one against Carcassonne.

Is Ambert the one who didn't want to go pro?

That's not Cyril Stacul at 2nd row is it??????!!!!!!!

Just now, DoubleD said:

How on earth is Stacul playing 2nd row? Jeez...........

That's what I was talking about earlier. The competition lacks size.

Stacul is still bigger than the other 2nd row (Torres from Palau) who is listed as 1m83 82kg. Remember that Khedimi from Catalans plays at prop and he's not even 90kg

Just now, Hvy wg said:

That's what I was talking about earlier. The competition lacks size.

Stacul is still bigger than the other 2nd row (Torres from Palau) who is listed as 1m83 82kg. Remember that Khedimi from Catalans plays at prop and he's not even 90kg

No wonder Manuokafoa is smashing it

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

No wonder Manuokafoa is smashing it

Yeah... Looking at the leaders (Avignon) only one player is above 100kg.

That might be a reason why Toulon juniors are smashing it without knowing much about the game. If they bring some big Union players then they can just bully the opposition.

9 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Yeah... Looking at the leaders (Avignon) only one player is above 100kg.

That might be a reason why Toulon juniors are smashing it without knowing much about the game. If they bring some big Union players then they can just bully the opposition.

They need to stay off those frogs legs and start eating a bit more British beef mate :)

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

They need to stay off those frogs legs and start eating a bit more British beef mate :)

I'm not sure all of them are hitting the gym, especially the youngsters in "small clubs". Catalans U19 are and it's a massive difference when you see Franco and Castany in the paper's team as such a young age against full grown adults.

3 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

I'm not sure all of them are hitting the gym, especially the youngsters in "small clubs". Catalans U19 are and it's a massive difference when you see Franco and Castany in the paper's team as such a young age against full grown adults.

You see it a lot in the English youngsters too, particularly compared with Australians. They really need professional guidance on nutrition, weight/muscle gain

Just now, DoubleD said:

You see it a lot in the English youngsters too, particularly compared with Australians. They really need professional guidance on nutrition, weight/muscle gain

The Australians are gym rats !

To be fully honest, there are a lot of young guys in the gym in France but most of them are training in a "bodybuilding" style that only suits the enhanced bodybuilders. The focus needs to be shifted to strength. Too many guys spending 2 hours a day in the gym doing the same training, unable to bench their own weight.

I think part of Avigons success so far is getting half-back Bissiere back in action. He had I think a serious injury which kept him out for most of last year.He's highly rated .A shame they lost the returning hooker Bonnet to a serious injury against Jamaica.Coach Guigue seems happy that they re playing on grass again at Parc des Sports. Elite 1 needs a strong presence in the Tarn and up in Provence. A long time since this has happended jointly.

If the rising Toulon train keeps heading in the right direction would provide an exciting challenge for Avignon. Everybody needs a derby fixture of note.

** Reported here that the Magic Weekend in Carcassonne has now been brought forward a week to April 21st-22nd.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Archived