Elite 1 follow-up

Hvy wg

4 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

The Australians are gym rats !

To be fully honest, there are a lot of young guys in the gym in France but most of them are training in a "bodybuilding" style that only suits the enhanced bodybuilders. The focus needs to be shifted to strength. Too many guys spending 2 hours a day in the gym doing the same training, unable to bench their own weight.

Am I alone in feeling just a touch uneasy about the modern emphasis on size and strength?  I am reminded from the pages of Henri Garcia's Champagne Rugby that the great 1951 French touring squad to Australia had only 5 players out of 27 who were 6 ft or more in height and only 7 who were 14 stone or more in weight.

Whatever happened to skill and guile? 

OK, I'll shut up now and get back to my slippers, fireside chair and mug of steaming cocoa, and snooze with my faithful dog at my feet.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Am I alone in feeling just a touch uneasy about the modern emphasis on size and strength?  I am reminded from the pages of Henri Garcia's Champagne Rugby that the great 1951 French touring squad to Australia had only 5 players out of 27 who were 6 ft or more in height and only 7 who were 14 stone or more in weight.

OK, I'll shut up now and get back to my slippers, fireside chair and mug of steaming cocoa, and snooze with my faithful dog at my feet.

It happened that if you're not big enough in the modern game you won't be able to exploit your skills.

It's not a coincidence if the Aussies are all tall and big.

A "too small" player getting involved in tackles with big guys is going to be too tired to play his game. That being said, halfbacks being small is not quite my concern. It's about French forwards being too small, making it impossible to "lay the platform" for the more skillful players.

3 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Limoux - Catalans highlights.

Limoux's reliance on Luc Franco to create something is unworthy of their performances last year.

I'm still baffled that Luc Franco was released when he still qualifies for the U19s next year. Unless he chose to leave in order to play against men in the LER, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Much of the skill and guile went with the move to 10 metre defence. Big guys hitting the defensive line at full speed made size more important. At just five metres, the impacts were less and small defensive players had a chance. I'd like to see 5 metre defence come back. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I No, I play in old men's touch with mainly ex union players and the odd league team there's around 8 or 9 teams in my region and it's social with a big emphasis on the meal afterwards, 

The Catalans run a beach touch in summer and the French rugby union do a touch beach tour, I played in one and you have to sign up for a temporary license which intern raises rugby union playing numbers for statistics ! 

A guy gave a demo in lezignan of real.touch rugby but it was too quick for the older guys, 

Some players went to the FCL XIII (or other Elite clubs) before returning to a Championship, Super League and even NRL club: Boudebza, Pomeroy, David Fifita and Vaha Pulu in Lezignan. (Damien Cardace also had several proposals but refused them)

I think that the FCL is the perfect club to revive Eloi

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

9 hours ago, fcl said:

Some players went to the FCL XIII (or other Elite clubs) before returning to a Championship, Super League and even NRL club: Boudebza, Pomeroy, David Fifita and Vaha Pulu in Lezignan. (Damien Cardace also had several proposals but refused them)

I think that the FCL is the perfect club to revive Eloi

Let's hope so.

Not to be rude but this is reason why france are treading water. Fcl not a professional club, to me this is the somewhat maxime greseque approach i can earn the same in elite as pro ranks and its easier. 

France best young players should be with toulouse or catalans and if not english pro clubs. Attitude is the problem i see here. 

Maybe he didn't have many options, this is the problem with only one french team in super league, does he want to leave his business and family to play in the championship or play for Toulouse for less money than as a big fish in elite and have to travel every second weekend, 

8 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Not to be rude but this is reason why france are treading water. Fcl not a professional club, to me this is the somewhat maxime greseque approach i can earn the same in elite as pro ranks and its easier. 

France best young players should be with toulouse or catalans and if not english pro clubs. Attitude is the problem i see here. 

This isn't a "France" issue. It's a Pelissier issue.

He's too much trouble.

Last nights results

St Esteve 28-14 Toulouse

Albi 22-16 St Gaudens

Sounds like two excellent performances from two of last seasons stragglers

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

7 hours ago, winnyason said:

Kane Bentley and Aaron wood helping kids at Toulouse I imagine 

I reckon but great improvement on last season for Toulouse. Also in the U19s curtain raiser they were just pipped by last years Champions St Esteve 22-20. They 're running with two sides at that level too I think. Toulouse ticking all the right boxes.

Interesting in the St Esteve U19s a J Chan listed - is it Alex's lad I wonder.

Other results this weekend

Carcassonne 6-10 Limoux

Lezignan 52-6 Villenuve  sur Lot

Palau 14-42 Avignon

* Danny Hulme scored Villeneuves only try at Lezignan.

* Reported here that Darryl Griffin is joining Palau.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Bruno Onteniente is the lead reporter for L'Independant as well as commentator for Radio Bleu Roussillon covering all the Dragons games home & away. He covers Elite 1 too and each Tuesday has a full page review.

XIII-INDEPjpg.jpg

Very ban news in Carcassonne :

125k £ in debt

Players have not been paid since the beginning of the season

Chairman says that there is not enough private sponsors and he's trying to build a financial plan to save the club

https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2018/01/11/2719555-as-carcassonne-vers-un-plan-pour-sortir-de-la-crise.html

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

2 hours ago, fcl said:

Very ban news in Carcassonne :

125k £ in debt

Players have not been paid since the beginning of the season

Chairman says that there is not enough private sponsors and he's trying to build a financial plan to save the club

https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2018/01/11/2719555-as-carcassonne-vers-un-plan-pour-sortir-de-la-crise.html

well... sad, but not surprising.

Archived