Elite 1 follow-up

Hvy wg

32 minutes ago, JonM said:

It will be weekend of 28/29 April and will feature all 10 teams (i.e. 5 games.) It was a bit of a non-event last year, with one-sided games with nothing at stake and fairly sparse attendance. Certainly would let you see all of the elite teams in one weekend though.

Thanks for the info Jon.

I sort of guessed before I asked... and knew there would be a clash - I will be managing the Wales Wheelchair Rugby League Team and the 28th is the dates set for the Celtic Cup where we play Ireland and Scotland - and this year its in Wales so I'll definitely be required.

Maybe I'll get across for one of the Albi games during the season at some point.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/12/2017 at 5:36 PM, barnyia said:

We play them on Sunday Gordon at Toulon so I'll definitely get a closer look! 

Your lot doing OK. Why the struggle to qualify early season? Federation announced 25 sides at this level entered the French Cup. With the Dragons U19 Academy at the appex that makes 26 out-fits playing - not too bad? The Australian Mick Aldous who was involved with the Federation a decade or so back saw this as France's major challenge.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

We played well against Halifax but my Co coach is old school, and he fired them up a.little too much in the first two games,  and we put a bit too much pressure on them, we're all learning and it's starting to come together after a difficult start, 

Was surprised by our performance on Sunday as I didn't think we could play at the level we played so early in the season, 

2 minutes ago, barnyia said:

The big problem in France now is lack of referees, we only had one touch judge and in the play off game we only had a ref and a touch judge from each team,  

There's not enough refs to go around 

Such an important part of developing the game globally that many people forget.

6 minutes ago, Emosi Koloto said:

Just watched the game v Palau, the no.6 was way too good and #4 looked a classy centre.

Unfortunately both are 28 years old and are not prospects for the future. Pala in particular (#6) should be playing at a much higher level and I don't know why he's wasting his career in Catalans reserves.

12 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Unfortunately both are 28 years old and are not prospects for the future. Pala in particular (#6) should be playing at a much higher level and I don't know why he's wasting his career in Catalans reserves.

Maybe they are content with the situation i.e. they have a good job outside of RL??

6 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Maybe they are content with the situation i.e. they have a good job outside of RL??

Ambert does which is why he hasn't played Super League, I believe he has been offered the chance. Up until this year Pala was a full time player with the Dragons first team and Leigh.

Magic Weekend in Carcassonne 28th-29th April according to the Federation web-site.

Interestingly the same w/e that Hull FC are playing in Perpignan!

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Toulon u 19 beat us 30 to 24,  all ex union players let go by toulon union, a very quick physical team, refreshing to watch them as they don't play like all league teams do, slightest break the support is impressive,  still a little green but technically( pass,  tackle and slide defense)  impressive,  the 4 and a half hour bus drive one way killed us as it was 24 to 0 for them at half time, then we woke up! 

Toulon u 19 30 lezignan u 19 24

33 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Toulon u 19 beat us 30 to 24,  all ex union players let go by toulon union, a very quick physical team, refreshing to watch them as they don't play like all league teams do, slightest break the support is impressive,  still a little green but technically( pass,  tackle and slide defense)  impressive,  the 4 and a half hour bus drive one way killed us as it was 24 to 0 for them at half time, then we woke up! 

Shows there is talent there to be tapped, great news about Toulon. Unlucky for your boys.

34 minutes ago, barnyia said:

All very interesting regarding Toulon u19’s. Where do they play their home matches and do you think this scenario could be replicated in other union strongholds in towns and cities around France??

2 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Shows there is talent there to be tapped, great news about Toulon. Unlucky for your boys.

Exactly. Elite 1 clubs should be watching these players very closely. Maybe a few rough diamonds amongst them.

Thats one of the best set of results in Elite 1 in years. Albi and Avignon really in the mix this term with their overseas players prominent. Both have decent  U19s too. The latter though lose lots to the Dragons set-up - its a conveyor belt from Provence.Villeneuve had five English lads on duty today against Carcassonne including Danny Hulme who previously played at TOXIII.

2 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

All very interesting regarding Toulon u19’s. Where do they play their home matches and do you think this scenario could be replicated in other union strongholds in towns and cities around France??

I'd highly recommend it, some very talented rugby players, the difficulty is getting them to try league, the toulon union president likes league and league players go to toulon, most other areas are anti league,

If it wasn't for the bus ride we probably would have won, not because we where better just we are more experienced at league, the toulon players where cramping up early in the second half and couldn't handle us as we attacked their inexperience around the ruck, I reckon in the second part of the season they'll be even better when they get used to league, 

Apparently they've 31 players all from union and some have turned down union clubs to enjoy playing league, they're a group of mates who have been together a few years in the toulon system,

The first 20 mins they hit the ball up hard and tackled hard but tired and made union  mistakes like no markers,  kicking on the first tackle and not worried about being tackled into touch,

Hopefully they can stay together and get a team in elite 1 in a couple of years 

7 minutes ago, barnyia said:

The first 20 mins they hit the ball up hard and tackled hard but tired and made union  mistakes like no markers,  kicking on the first tackle and not worried about being tackled into touch,

Crazy if they won the match doing this stuff, do you have a team list for them?

They attack the ball when they tackle and pull the ball on the floor,we made lots of mistakes in the first half also we didn't have official touch judges as they're aren't enough refs to go around,  so the pulling on the ball and little touches on the floor weren't seen 

They made most of the  union mistakes in the second half when tired, I'll find the list

Archived