RLIF hints at Pacific Cup Return

B rad

Ill just copy and paste the whole thing since people are having issues with pay walls and such. 

RLIF chairman hints at Pacific Cup return

RUGBY League International Federation chairman Nigel Wood has foreshadowed the return of the Pacific Cup in the wake of outstanding performances by Oceania countries at the World Cup.

Speaking in League Express today, Wood says it would be ideal for Pacific nations such as World Cup semi-finalists Tonga and Fiji to be able to compete for a trophy rather than play in one-off mid-season internationals.
“I’d settle for them just playing at the moment,” Wood said in an extensive Q&A.
“What would be great for them is having some sort of ‘trophy lift’ – rather than just a one-off Pacific Test.
“It’d be great to have them playing a competition of some sort. Similar to our European Championship, perhaps.
“That’s something for the RLIF to look to.”
The Pacific Cup was previously held between 1974 and 2009. A total of 18 nations competed in that time.
Discussing New York’s bid for League One inclusion in 2019, Wood – in his capacity as RFL CEO – said: “There’s a bit of work to be done in the first quarter of 2018.

“Everyone’s fascinated by New York, though, so we’ll look at it then, report to the RFL board in March and then we’ll decide whether it’s credible enough to present to the clubs after that.”
Wood also explained the decision to excuse Toulouse from the Challenge Cup.
“They asked to be stood out of it,” he said.
“They’ve got some particular issues with their ground and things like that so they asked for an exemption, which we were eventually persuaded to grant.
“It raised an issue for us and it might not happen again but on this occasion we decided to accept their request.
“If you’re a member of the RFL, you have to play in the Challenge Cup. But Toulouse are not a member club. They are playing as an invited guest of the competition, much like Toronto and Catalans.
“They’re members of their own sovereign organisations.”
Wood described his being voted off the board of Super League as “nothing of great significance”.
He declined to say whether he was interested in the soon-to-be-vacated RLIF CEO’s post.

http://www.rugbyleaguehub.com/2017/12/18/rlif-chairman-hints-at-pacific-cup-return/

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

This sounds like a chat with a fan at the pub.

"I'd settle for a them just playing at the moment."

"It would be nice for them to have some sort of trophy to lift."

FFS, really?

He must have a few hubcaps in the back he wants rid of.

The problem is we have the same bloke doing multiple jobs that all conflict with each other...and when someone moves jobs their number 2 takes over meaning there's never any fresh blood & new ideas coming into the sport..

I'd love mascord to sit down with Dave Collier next May and ask him how difficult it is to get the RFL & ARLC/NRL on the same page?

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

3 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

He must have a few hubcaps in the back he wants rid of.

There's always the 1995 RWC trophy, used when the original was stolen. Quite a nice design, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is the usual pussy-footing around and soulless rhetoric.

The RLIF needs a ball breaker who can negotiate hard for the aim of the organisation. It also needs to be someone who isn't scared of upsetting parties in the media with some home truths. In fact someone who actually wants to front the media would be a start.

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

The RLIF needs a ball breaker who can negotiate hard for the aim of the organisation. It also needs to be someone who isn't scared of upsetting parties in the media with some home truths. In fact someone who actually wants to front the media would be a start.

John Ribot. He is the most successful  expansionist administrator in the game, setting up the Brisbane Broncos and the Melbourne Storm. I don't think Super League was about TV rights to him (I'm sure it was to the people he was working with) I think it was about spreading the game. He is one of the only administrators that genially comes across as someone that wants rugby league to be global and is been wasted at the moment working for the Queensland rugby league. 

2 minutes ago, B rad said:

John Ribot. He is the most successful  expansionist administrator in the game, setting up the Brisbane Broncos and the Melbourne Storm. I don't think Super League was about TV rights to him (I'm sure it was to the people he was working with) I think it was about spreading the game. He is one of the only administrators that genially comes across as someone that wants rugby league to be global and is been wasted at the moment working for the Queensland rugby league. 

As a proponent of SL would Ribot ever get the necessary backing (if he wanted the job) because of any resistance from anti SL people still involved with the NRL/ARLC.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

As a proponent of SL would Ribot ever get the necessary backing (if he wanted the job) because of any resistance from anti SL people still involved with the NRL/ARLC.

Yeah that would be the problem, too many people with grudges and long memories. In saying that a lot of those ARL people from that era are long gone. 

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

It is the usual pussy-footing around and soulless rhetoric.

Bring in Lionel Hurst.

Archived