Rugby League - man's game!

Dave T

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

But companies will always use good looking people to represent thier brand. It is not a new thing nor does this spell the end to the pratice. 

No one wants to see a fat middle aged balding man.

My views maybe outdated but I remember the girls when bullmania was in full flow , they were professional, slick , fit and excellent to watch; fast forward to the Eng v Nz game at Huddersfield we’re to be very very very polite they were non of the above!

which one reflects better on us as a sport?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mattrhino said:

Exactly, where is the public outrage for us overweight, beer bellied white middle aged men and our struggles haha

if we could get out of the pub and away from watching sport on tv to form a movement we may get somewhere.. just more fun staying where we are

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

My views maybe outdated but I remember the girls when bullmania was in full flow , they were professional, slick , fit and excellent to watch; fast forward to the Eng v Nz game at Huddersfield we’re to be very very very polite they were non of the above!

are you talking about the cheerleaders or girls just wandering around?

2 minutes ago, iangidds said:

The product on the field is how to judge a sport

Cheerleaders add to the game day experience. They are not a reflection on the sport

Just now, RP London said:

Just now, RP London said:

They were the cheerleaders

1 minute ago, RP London said:

no they dont... but nor, obivoulsy, are people wanting to have "good looking people" just flaunted at them for no descernable reason anymore. In the same way as at exhibitions and in promo girls you dont get "good looking girls" who cannot talk about the brand (from my experience) as that is not a good image for the brand either.. 

its all about the perception of the grid girl and what their purpose is.. 

How do you know that.

One former grid girl came out in the press to defend herself and her career had a degree and said "I am proud of my job... I am respected... I am paid well... and I have managed to gain a professional reputation that has enabled me to make a career out of something I love."

8 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

But companies will always use good looking people to represent thier brand. It is not a new thing nor does this spell the end to the pratice. 

No one wants to see a fat middle aged balding man.

just to go back on to this... there re plenty of people who dont want to sit and look at good looking girls... what about the women you want to attract to the sport where are the fit blokes on the grid... and thats just looking at the hetrosexual market

Just now, Spidey said:

The product on the field is hiw To judge a sport

Cheerleaders add to the game day experience. They are not a reflection on the sport

I agree but much used to made of the overall match day experience to entice families etc, that seems to have slipped away from the game

6 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Well if that is true they are also as hypocritical and looking for a cheap soundbite to give to the the press.

Don't worry, I'm sure if they were also demanding Tag Heuer (or whoever) only promote their brand a certain way then we could all be angry about that too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, iangidds said:

I agree but much used to made of the overall match day experience to entice families etc, that seems to have slipped away from the game

If you’re using Bulls as an example of people lost to the game. Results on the field has lost a lot more than the standard of cheerleading

2 minutes ago, iangidds said:

I agree that quite a few clubs could do quite a lot more - and the RFL could do a *lot* more on our event days - to create a better whole match day experience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, iangidds said:

My girls do cheerleading and for some unknown reason they love it!

I really think cheerleading is pretty distinct from grid girls.

(And I said as much waaaaaay back on page 1 ...)

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

If you’re using Bulls as an example of people lost to the game. Results on the field has lost a lot more than the standard of cheerleading

I’m not saying that at all, I’m saying having anyone of any sex doing a great job is good for any organisation; today we as a sport should present ourselves as dynamic , fit , aspiring to as many as possible .

if I say what I really feel I’m sure I would be run out of town 

Just now, Mattrhino said:

How do you know that.

One former grid girl came out in the press to defend herself and her career had a degree and said "I am proud of my job... I am respected... I am paid well... and I have managed to gain a professional reputation that has enabled me to make a career out of something I love."

How do i know what? all the post was from experience and reading the argument both pro and anti.. its quite obvious that people are becoming more uncomfortable with the "good looking flaunting" that is happening, that has been an attitude changing for over a decade, the rest is from my work experience in sales, marketing & sponsorship and exhibitions.

did you read my earlier posts where I was saying exactly the same thing... my point (and I have used the word in my last 5-6 posts on this topic) is that it is about PERCEPTION of their job not about what they are doing.. and the perception, though wrong, is the problem.

(also none of the quote says that she does anything but stand on a grid looking pretty, the fact she has a degree but all people will see is the good looking girl is actually one of the major issues with this if you look at the arguments against it.. it objectifies people for how they look rather than who they are etc etc)

1 minute ago, RP London said:

How do i know what? all the post was from experience and reading the argument both pro and anti.. its quite obvious that people are becoming more uncomfortable with the "good looking flaunting" that is happening, that has been an attitude changing for over a decade, the rest is from my work experience in sales, marketing & sponsorship and exhibitions.

did you read my earlier posts where I was saying exactly the same thing... my point (and I have used the word in my last 5-6 posts on this topic) is that it is about PERCEPTION of their job not about what they are doing.. and the perception, though wrong, is the problem.

(also none of the quote says that she does anything but stand on a grid looking pretty, the fact she has a degree but all people will see is the good looking girl is actually one of the major issues with this if you look at the arguments against it.. it objectifies people for how they look rather than who they are etc etc)

But what dream world are you speaking of here?

8 minutes ago, iangidds said:

They were the cheerleaders

In that case its slightly different.. watching slick professional cheerleading is quite spectacular and amazing watching poor cheerleading is tough... 

(good cheerleaders and bad cheerleaders can both look the same.. if they are good looking but poor it is still tough to watch)

Society is changing again as it always does, getting older means that I am a bit slower every time in catching up! There is always a counter argument to anything which in turn leads to further counter arguments etc etc etc

3 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

But what dream world are you speaking of here?

have no idea where that has come from... rather than slinging an insult in how about you tell me, from your vast experience of this sort of thing, where I am wrong?

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

But the grid girls love it too

I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they didn't. Equally, I'm not sure whether there has ever been a time when because someone enjoys their job means that that job cannot change and must stay that way forever.

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

In that case its slightly different.. watching slick professional cheerleading is quite spectacular and amazing watching poor cheerleading is tough... 

(good cheerleaders and bad cheerleaders can both look the same.. if they are good looking but poor it is still tough to watch)

Yes I agree , I actually complained to the RFL about the standard of Cheerleading/ entertainment at an international event and they said it reflected their roots in the community; whilst not trying to be overly harsh I don’t think that putting untrained people of all shapes and sizes in front of the cameras and crowd is good for our image.

i maybe totally wrong that we need to be more inclusive by doing things this way but me personally I think it is wrong

13 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Yeah but everyone just ignores the actual people who this affects. They are too busy being offended on thier behalf.

I'm sure those page 3 'models' loved their job.

I'm sure those girls whose bras fell off and Benny Hill chased them on mainstream telly 35 years ago loved their jobs.

Archived