Rugby League - man's game!

Dave T

7 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

It was as straightforward as that really.

The Darts girls were on discussing the fact that they loved their jobs, and that they were now out of a job, and the feminist spokesperson was saying that they shouldn't be doing it in the first place as it is demeaning to women.

I would have thought that being preached to by another woman as to what they can, and cannot do, is more demeaning than the job they were doing in the first place.

It just seems a bit odd that some people think they have the right to "protect" other people, even if those people don't actually want, or need, protecting.

Yeah i actually have a lot of sympathy with that viewpoint. 

It is slightly grey though - things like Page 3 being banished to the past wont have been scrapped because the models were campaigning.

I think there is a time and a place for certain things and whether darts is the place for this is an interesting one. I suspect it has helped to build up the crowd they get but maybe this is a move to try and diversify the crowds?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jace said:

I'm saying that just he shouldn't be shutdown just because his views are not in line with left wing agendas  

This seems to be getting spouted a lot in many areas these days, I don't think anyone on here, left wing or not has said he should be shut down, quite the opposite he should be aloud to say whatever he feels just as we are are allowed to comment on his backward views. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah i actually have a lot of sympathy with that viewpoint. 

It is slightly grey though - things like Page 3 being banished to the past wont have been scrapped because the models were campaigning.

I think there is a time and a place for certain things and whether darts is the place for this is an interesting one. I suspect it has helped to build up the crowd they get but maybe this is a move to try and diversify the crowds?

Maybe Dave, but I watch quite a lot of darts on TV, and there never seems to be a shortage of women in the audience, in fact quite the opposite.

From my understanding you couldn't take kids into most of these events anyway due to the beer being consumed, so I don't really understand what they would be trying to diversify into.

Just now, Jim Prendle said:

Maybe Dave, but I watch quite a lot of darts on TV, and there never seems to be a shortage of women in the audience, in fact quite the opposite.

From my understanding you couldn't take kids into most of these events anyway due to the beer being consumed, so I don't really understand what they would be trying to diversify into.

The diversify thing is my speculation. Maybe they want less boozy boyish behaviour or maybe want sponsors from a wider base than bookies.

I do feel it must be 90% blokes though although that is based on just limited viewing.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The diversify thing is my speculation. Maybe they want less boozy boyish behaviour or maybe want sponsors from a wider base than bookies.

I do feel it must be 90% blokes though although that is based on just limited viewing.

Gingerjon is obviously a fan, so maybe he can enlighten us on the ratio of male to female in the audience, but I suspect it is more than 10% women, particularly at the big events.

I've been to watch it live once, and to be honest, if you take the beer element out of it, it wouldn't be much fun really as you can't actually see what is happening apart from on the screens.

Just now, Dave T said:

everything I have read is that the pressure has come from broadcasters... I think they just dont like the look of it and how it is perceived.. and are cautious (especially the likes of ITV and SKY) of organisations who wont pay to be a part of the "show".. it may alienate some sponsors and advertisers to have them, i would think it will alienate and put off less sponsors by not having them.. ie people are unlikely to not advertise/sponsor because you dont have walk on girls but they may not advertise/sponsor if you do have them

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Gingerjon is obviously a fan, so maybe he can enlighten us on the ratio of male to female in the audience, but I suspect it is more than 10% women, particularly at the big events.

I've been to watch it live once, and to be honest, if you take the beer element out of it, it wouldn't be much fun really as you can't actually see what is happening apart from on the screens.

I dont disagree. Some things just are what they are. Im ok with it being a boozy event and one that i will attend at some stage - with a group of blokes on the pee.

8 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was around the 90/10 mark. The cameras tend to pick out women in the crowd but on pull backs and general crowd shots it does seem pretty close to all male.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, jacksy said:

Off putting? Can you not admire the toughness, resilience and bravery of the  Jillaroos and the Fearns?

From the limited amount I've seen before I decided it wasn't for me I guess I have some admiration for them due to there willingness to have a go & skills but the problem is it's just not the type of thing I want to see women taking part in, Just as I wouldn't be interested in watching men's netball.

I don't want to stop women from doing anything , Its a free country after all but It does make me feel uncomfortable seeing women playing combat sports so I don't watch.

3 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

From the limited amount I've seen before I decided it wasn't for me I guess I have some admiration for them due to there willingness to have a go & skills but the problem is it's just not the type of thing I want to see women taking part in, Just as I wouldn't be interested in watching men's netball.

I don't want to stop women from doing anything , Its a free country after all but It does make me feel uncomfortable seeing women playing combat sports so I don't watch.

What sports could they participate in that would not make you uncomfortable?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

12 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Danny Lockwood is a pathetic racist idiot, the closet sexists and racists defending his comments as 'freedom of speech' are also pathetic idiots.

Oh oh, you saw the hassle I had and I held my tongue!

1 hour ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

I'm of a similar opinion, although haven't voiced it previously as it would likely get jumped on, as is the intolerant nature of society we sadly live in

I have huge admiration for women who give TGG a go, due to the toughness of it and am keen to see participation grow across the spectrum - the more people we can get engaged in the sport the better. However, it's not something i'm particularly interested in watching. Similarly, I don't see why people cannot admire the beauty/glamour that walk on girls have in darts for example.

It's sad that it gets clouded in an alleged sexist hysteria

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm of a similar opinion, although haven't voiced it previously as it would likely get jumped on, as is the intolerant nature of society we sadly live in

I have huge admiration for women who give TGG a go, due to the toughness of it and am keen to see participation grow across the spectrum - the more people we can get engaged in the sport the better. However, it's not something i'm particularly interested in watching. Similarly, I don't see why people cannot admire the beauty/glamour that walk on girls have in darts for example.

It's sad that it gets clouded in an alleged sexist hysteria

You don't have to watch it. I don't watch it either. Nobody asked you to watch it or for your opinion on whether you 'like' it or not. If you have a daughter who wants to play RL (or do anything else) and you say she can't do it or that you're unhappy about her doing it because you don't like the idea of women doing combat sports then your views become a problem.

4 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

You don't have to watch it. I don't watch it either. Nobody asked you to watch it or for your opinion on whether you 'like' it or not. If you have a daughter who wants to play RL (or do anything else) and you say she can't do it or that you're unhappy about her doing it because you don't like the idea of women doing combat sports then your views become a problem.

RabbitRhino wasn't saying if he had a daughter, he'd tell her she can't play rugby, but regardless of whether it is a son or daughter, a lot of parents in general don't want them playing rough, physical sports like rugby

5 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

I wanted my daughter to do combat sports but she wouldn't! Chose clog dancing instead.

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

RabbitRhino wasn't saying if he had a daughter, he'd tell her she can't play rugby, but regardless of whether it is a son or daughter, a lot of parents in general don't want them playing rough, physical sports like rugby

That isn't the issue, he specifically said that the idea of women/girls doing these type of sports makes him uncomfortable. And yes, that is a problem, just the same as it would be a problem if for example he said the idea of two men kissing made him uncomfortable. Why would you be upset by something that is a personal choice of someone else and doesn't affect you in any way? Nobody is asking you to enthusiastically support it or watch it or get involved, just to respect the rights of others to do what they want to do and treat them the same as anyone else.

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Ironing, on the other hand...

2 hours ago, jacksy said:

What sports could they participate in that would not make you uncomfortable?

You are being a bit harsh on him there. RL is a brutal game. Some people just dont like to see women in that situation. Same with boxing, UFC etc.

He isn't saying they shouldn't be allowed. Just that its not for him. Its a perfectly valid viewpoint even if it isnt one I neccessarily share.

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

That isn't the issue, he specifically said that the idea of women/girls doing these type of sports makes him uncomfortable. And yes, that is a problem, just the same as it would be a problem if for example he said the idea of two men kissing made him uncomfortable. Why would you be upset by something that is a personal choice of someone else and doesn't affect you in any way? Nobody is asking you to enthusiastically support it or watch it or get involved, just to respect the rights of others to do what they want to do and treat them the same as anyone else.

Again. Very harsh. To compare someone who maybe just doesnt like to see women knocking the s**** out of eachother with a homophobe is unfair. He never said they should be stopped.

20 minutes ago, MZH said:

Again. Very harsh. To compare someone who maybe just doesnt like to see women knocking the s**** out of eachother with a homophobe is unfair. He never said they should be stopped.

No it isn't, it's literally the exact same thing. You don't have to abuse gay people or want to stop them to be homophobic. Feeling 'uncomfortable' with the thought of someone doing something they want to do and which doesn't affect you in any way based on preconceptions of what their role in society should be is pretty much the definition of prejudice. I'm not trying to demonize people, I'm sure the posters I'm replying to don't have bad intentions and would not purposely try to upset anyone or stop them from doing anything. But they are still sexist views that should be challenged.

7 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

No it isn't, it's literally the exact same thing. You don't have to abuse gay people or want to stop them to be homophobic. Feeling 'uncomfortable' with the thought of someone doing something they want to do and which doesn't affect you in any way based on preconceptions of what their role in society should be is pretty much the definition of prejudice. I'm not trying to demonize people, I'm sure the posters I'm replying to don't have bad intentions and would not purposely try to upset anyone or stop them from doing anything. But they are still sexist views that should be challenged.

Are you saying that all sexist views should be challenged? -just a question Evil One, not trying to offend

Archived