New Restructure Rumours

Whitworth Yed

Saw this worrying tweet this morning:

twit.png.f53c87d887ec885f7e888794a5a2514b.png

Considering that we are currently not one of the top 20 teams and won’t be even if we get promoted then under this proposal we would be looking at a very bleak future.

I know some of you will say it is more nonsense from The S** but Gary Carter is a respected RL journalist and is well in with key personnel.

If true then how can the RFL  (a) come up with these ideas with no ‘head honcho’ in charge (b) say they represent every club when they are doing a reverse Robin Hood of stealing from the poor to give to the rich?

I really worry about the sport in general but at least the RFL big wigs will be able to visit Toronto, Perpignan, New York etc instead of having to sit with the great unwashed at the likes of Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale etc 

41 minutes ago, Whitworth Yed said:

Saw this worrying tweet this morning:Considering that we are currently not one of the top 20 teams and won’t be even if we get promoted then under this proposal we would be looking at a very bleak future.

I know some of you will say it is more nonsense from The S** but Gary Carter is a respected RL journalist and is well in with key personnel.  

If true then how can the RFL  (a) come up with these ideas with no ‘head honcho’ in charge (b) say they represent every club when they are doing a reverse Robin Hood of stealing from the poor to give to the rich?

I really worry about the sport in general but at least the RFL big wigs will be able to visit Toronto, Perpignan, New York etc instead of having to sit with the great unwashed at the likes of Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale etc 

Is it the RFL or SL proposing this?    

If we are off the pace in any promotion race then its our fault not Toronto or Toulouse.  The sport needs money and profile, things that we aren't exactly bringing to the table right now.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Sounds like we may be going amateur :

from the news page on Total RL this morning

The possibility of de-regulating League 1 and making it an amateur competition is among the items on the agenda for this week’s crucial Championship and League 1 clubs meetings, TotalRL can reveal.

TotalRL has acquired a copy of the agenda for the meetings, which are scheduled to take place at Doncaster’s Keepmoat Stadium in the latter part of this week.

And on there, part of the itinerary includes a discussion about the ‘Possible de-regulation of League 1’ among other items.

It is understood that the term de-regulation relates to making the competition amateur – though it is unclear whether that notion has any support, and when any such changes are being proposed for.

Ive sort of given up worrying about it all tbh, until something concrete is decided its still all speculation.

The writing was on the wall with all the RFL/SL goings on where SL wanted to take control of the game overall (or so it appears) Even if they split to two divisions of 20 then some fairly established and decent Championship clubs will also be left in limbo.

The agenda to me seems to be to split the game almost like the SL/ARL wars back in the day. If the clubs left out of the promised land could negotiate some form of funding/Tv deal for a seperate comp then now is the time to say bye to the greedy gits of SL and go our own way. There will be loads of twists and turns in this before its done, if they kill off league one then all the "expansion" clubs will die, thought they were hell bent on expansion? Oh sorry, if your not a big city/American/Canadian etc then stuff the lot of you,and if your a "small" traditional club (whose face doesnt fit) then you can also crawl off and  die so we can make sure the chosen ones dont go the same way in the future.

It absolutely stinks what happens at the RFL/SL. As we have suspected for a long time they couldnt care less about the game under SL.If the game dies, it dies,but we are ok in our jobs for the boys. Rugby league is not all about SL and their money men,unfortunately the games governing body doesnt think so.

Totally agree with roughyed34. The big problem is how do we create the breakaway?

Several years ago I advocated "The Second Great Schism". I contacted all of the clubs outside of sooperdooperleague not receiving one reply. I feel clubs enjoy the scraps they are now getting and therefore won't rock the boat. It will only happen if all "other" clubs get together and plan a new future before there isn't a future.

There might be a need for like minded roughyeds to get together and thrash out a strategy as did our forefathers did at the advent of the Northern Rugby Union.

It might not be all that bad imo..

Let's them greedy fxxks have their super league 1 & 2..and we can all play in a RFL championship and do our own thing,sell our own sponsorship & media rights...and they certainly can't impose that teams in our league should be amateur!

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

23 hours ago, clifford said:

I think if the game is restructured in the way it  looks like two leagues of 10, clubs like Oldham Rochdale and Swinton will be well and truly shafted 

Spot on mate.If this does indeed turn out to be the case we can all put our Oldham rugger tops away for good.However nothing's been officially mentioned that I'm aware of.

The central funding sum wouldn`t pay the wages of one fading great from aus/nz...whereas Champ 1 is a stepping stone for young talent who didnt quite get there in sl squads but may do further on in their development...

if Superleague get so greedy (and there is one ex prop formerly of Leeds who really has the blinkers on) they will kill the game for the sake of wages/lucre....

2021 is the Rimmer timeline....and he is the acting chief exec.

To set the scene  -  l was at Watersheddings to see the Bernard Ganley record breaking conversion. What has happened over the years to our once great club hurts, it really does. But lets try and be honest,  those at the top have absolutely no interest whatsoever in what happens below SL. I now live a couple of hundred miles away from the RL heartland counties, and the exposure the non SL rugby gets nationally  is non existent, apart from the end of season play offs.. Enter the BBC RL web page, and you see nothing other than SL, it's as if we don't exist. 

If the powers at be had any real interest in C1 and C2, there would be a meaningful and achievable path of promotion to SL  -  but there isn't. If there was it would mean upsetting one of the great and good already there with their noses well and truly embedded in the trough, and we can't possible do that.

Whether we like it or not C1 and C2 are like patients on life-support machines, and the doctor in charge is looking in the other direction, and declaring  there are no life signs. It's just a matter of time before they turn the life support machines off, and we are gone. 

Spot on parigby.

Shocking short-sightedness from the people who are supposed to be looking after the health of the game for all clubs, not just SL.

The laughable thing is, they love the Sky money but if they started a bidding war (they didn't put it out to tender last time) with other companies then the money would increase.

The fact SL and the NCL have TV coverage but the Champ and League 1 have nothing says it all.

Sky should be told to either show games or give up its Champ/L1 contract.

Archived