Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Lions tour 2019 (Merged Threads)

36 minutes ago, Abicus said:

I hear you, but apparently they don’t make money due to the clubs needing insurance etc to release players.

The Australia v Tonga match only just broke even, and that was with Australia forgoing their match payments.

It didn't only just break even at all, it made a considerable profit.

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/used-and-abused-nrl-accused-of-hogging-profits-from-tonga-test-20181224-p50o2z.html

This says "small profit".....I've seen other reports saying it barely broke even..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

47 minutes ago, Damien said:

As Spud said, it did not at all. 

There is no money to be made from TV rights due to the current tv deal which bundled in Internationals. 

2 hours ago, Abicus said:

I hear you, but apparently they don’t make money due to the clubs needing insurance etc to release players.

The Australia v Tonga match only just broke even, and that was with Australia forgoing their match payments.

Aye, rank incompetence. Like at the last World Cup, no real sponsorship (just existing NRL sponsors) and no meaningful tv deal, plus not managing costs to stage.

8 hours ago, Abicus said:

You better believe there will be a TRIPLE HEADER in Auckland:

"KANGAROOS-TONGA PART OF TRIPLE TREAT

In another huge boost for international rugby league, the Kangaroos are likely to again play Tonga in November as part of a triple-header in Auckland.

Talks are under way for Australia to play Tonga on the same day New Zealand host England and Fiji take on Samoa.

The triple-header would be staged the week after the World Nines tournament at the new Western Sydney stadium.

It would attract huge media interest after the Melbourne Cup and before the cricket Test season kicks into gear. This is a great result for international rugby league.

No more ridiculous ventures like the failed Denver Test experience of New Zealand v England last season.

The growth of the international game is all about the emerging Pacific nations, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

They have to regularly compete on the big stage at the big venues.

They will get stronger and stronger and eventually become tier-one nations."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/monday-buzz-weekend-highlights-lowlights/news-story/cd9043b102b25f81aad7f7629570c23c

Are we sure it is going to be a triple header in the same stadium or just three games on the same day? I don't read it as the same stadium ala magic.

Ive heard the Aussies use triple/double headers to describe several games over a day in different stadium.

20 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Are we sure it is going to be a triple header in the same stadium or just three games on the same day? I don't read it as the same stadium ala magic.

Ive heard the Aussies use triple/double headers to describe several games over a day in different stadium.

Its the Kangaroo's V New Zealand and the other game is the Jillaroos v Kiwi Ferns making it a double header.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/25/australia-kangaroos-to-face-new-zealand-kiwis-on-wollongong-in-october/

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/used-and-abused-nrl-accused-of-hogging-profits-from-tonga-test-20181224-p50o2z.html

This says "small profit".....I've seen other reports saying it barely broke even..

The NRL told One News it only made a "small profit" from the game, but the television network claimed it had received a confidential independent analysis which had estimated the match made around $1 million, after expenses.

The NRL have a long history of spinning a line to suit their own agenda. You may believe everything the NRL says, I certainly don't. Everything international makes a loss according to the NRL, or in the case of a sellout international a small profit when the loss line certainly won't wash. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Putting the three games on at once would be a great way to fill Eden Park, and get all eyes on the event. I think it's a great idea. It's lovely to hear some news filtering out at least...

The NRL story seems to confirm the Lions are indeed back.

The big picture here is there will be international rugby league played between October 18 and November 16 including new Nines and Oceania tournaments.

Progress, folks.

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The big picture here is there will be international rugby league played between October 18 and November 16 including new Nines and Oceania tournaments.

Progress, folks.

God I hope they can the Lions. It adds absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

12 hours ago, Scubby said:

There is a brand new state of the art 30k stadium in Parra and they go to Wollongong. 

Seems bizarre but guessing Wollongong coughed up money, like with the Wigan vs Hull game

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Seems bizarre but guessing Wollongong coughed up money, like with the Wigan vs Hull game

That is correct.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Any idea when it might be?

Has any tour been confirmed yet? It seems a lifetime ago that I registered with Catalan Tours to see their offer(s) for various tours, I received an email back immediately acknowledging my interest with a note saying don't call us we will be in touch shortly!

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Progress, folks.

This link from the other thread suggests NZ will not be playing GB but England. https://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/news/australia-tonga-kangaroos-test-rugby-legaue-auckland-november/rldzloii56w61vvqal761am29

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

I dont have a problem really with a triple header, id love for us to continue it over here and have some games for france, jamaica, wales, ireland et al over here and go for a few "international RL days/weekends" in October sold as a big package. I want a well thought out well marketed package of days of international RL, a big on-going day, a big hook of International RL on tv all day.

But that isnt what we are offered here, this isnt a planned product, its a reaction to the cards we have dealt ourselves. Again. Reactive, not proactive. Another half arsed attempt to something without actually doing anything.

Having GB play as part of a double or triple header,too save money,shoots down the notion that GB is this grand,historic,brand that everyone wants too see..

Ppppsssttt...it's not.

Nailed home by the fact that GB & ENGLAND are getting confused with each other in the Aussie press ....I don't think I've ever heard the British lions RU ever get called England or the English.....like GB does..why?

Edited by roughyedspud
  • Like 3

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

21 hours ago, Damien said:

The Australia v Tonga match wasn’t seen as financially viable and wasn’t going to go ahead until the Aussies agreed to a one off reduction in match payments from $20k to $5k. 

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Australia v Tonga match wasn’t seen as financially viable and wasn’t going to go ahead until the Aussies agreed to a one off reduction in match payments from $20k to $5k. 

That's the NRL's fault for agreeing to 20k match payments in the first place. They bundled everything up in the TV deal and agreed a deal with the RLPA based on this. If they weren't going to fund these payments through the TV deal then they shouldn't have agreed to them.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

That's the NRL's fault for agreeing to 20k match payments in the first place. They bundled everything up in the TV deal and agreed a deal with the RLPA based on this. If they weren't going to fund these payments through the TV deal then they shouldn't have agreed to them.

The thing is, £20k a match isnt that much if you arent playing.

Australia's plan was to play England this year, in England, and paying the match fees out of the RFL's participation fee for touring, then not to play anything in 2020. That would have meant that outside of the WC which was under a different tv deal, the Kangaroos would have played more than twice the number of games in England as they had in Australia.

Good to read that the fixtures are starting to be arranged. Will definitely look forward to the Tonga v Aus and Aus v NZ matches.

With England also playing NZ and Tonga, it makes me wonder whether maybe they could have made it into a four nations. Even if they'd done it without a final, I think it would have been good.

Regarding the Tonga and New Zealand situation, is the aim to encourage the NZ born Tongan fans to support both teams? I mean, there's no reason why they couldn't support Tonga against England one week and then NZ against England the next.