Weekend Events, will you be going?

Weekend Events, will you be going?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. With my Summer Bash ticket coming through the post and the question being asked about it's future, I thought I would ask the question about the RL Weekend events. Will you be going?

• Summer Bash
    • Magic Weekend
    • Both
    • Neither

The nearest I get to one of these is Friday Night Lights at Skolars, the weekend before the Challenge Cup (which I am going to, too).

Last year went to both.

Blackpool was like a ghost stadium, no fans there for most games and a pain to get the train back.

At magic, I think I watched one game last year, spent most of it in the pub. Felt really flat. For me, it needs to move around, Newcastle is not the cheapest place to get to. Enjoyed the pubs more than the rugby

Neither for me. Concept just doesn’t appeal. I would attend if a 9s.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Doesn't that depend on where you are coming from?

Cardiff and Edinburgh are much further and more expensive.

Doesn’t that depend on where your coming from? ?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

22 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Neither for me. Concept just doesn’t appeal. I would attend if a 9s.

Nearly the exact opposite to this. I do enjoy Magic Weekend but frankly if they ever turn it into a 9-a-side tournament then I'll pack it in. 

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

7 minutes ago, Black Country Wire said:

Nearly the exact opposite to this. I do enjoy Magic Weekend but frankly if they ever turn it into a 9-a-side tournament then I'll pack it in. 

Each to their own ?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

So far two things are standing out with this poll. The majority that have voted will no be attending either event and forum members are exercising their right to vote (or not) with only 41 votes from 480+ views.

Shame about the Summer Bash as the championship is quite exciting this year and with Leigh improving the Toronto game will be a good one. My weekend ticket was £24 and my accommodation is about £60, granted it's not the Ritz, beer is cheaper in the ground, £3 a pint last year. Having said that i'm not going with a family so can do things on the cheaper side.

Magic is also a great weekend that I have been to a number of times but unfortunately unable to make it this year.

From a personal point of view, I find that Magic Weekend is too far to attend as a neutral, plus it would clash with my own team's game on the Saturday. I did enjoy Magic Weekend at the Etihad as a neutral the other year, though beer and sunshine helps in that regard I suppose and of course Manchester being handy for myself obviously evens out with those who find other locations to be easier to attend.

Having been used to Leigh being one of the 'main' games at Summer Bash, it was a strange sensation to be the middle order at Magic Weekend last year and for some reason felt more like a friendly/exhibition game rather than a full-blooded league match. We were only in the stadium for the back end of the Catalans-Huddersfield game and the whole of the Leigh-Salford game being retiring to the pub for Cas-Leeds before getting the train back. We did splash out on Platinum Club seats which were great (especially the bar underneath - the first time I've managed to fit two pints in to a half-time break!), although the padded seats and relaxed atmosphere probably did mean we didn't feel quite as involved in the atmosphere than if we'd have been with the majority of fans behind the sticks.

I will be attending Summer Bash (Saturday only) but with my other half and son who don't often come to matches, but a day at the seaside has at least attracted two extra bodies. Only planning on seeing the Leigh game though (and by default the back end of the previous game).

Magic Weekend, Saturday only.  Only booked this week, and I got the impression a lot of seats have been taken, which is remarkable given I've seen hardly any advertising around Newcastle or the NE.

Btw if anyone is stuck for accommodation, it might be worth giving Durham a try? Only 10 minutes away on a frequent train service, good for history buffs, and some cracking pubs - I recommend the Station House in particular.  Looking forward to downing a few pints the night before, and if I'm lucky I'm hoping to be allowed to play my favourite pub game, which involves writing names of cities on torn-up beermats, throwing darts at them and then posting the results under various threads here under multiple accounts.  

Archived