Optimism.

graham fisher

Well me along with a lot of Rams fans where looking forward to this season with optimism,well what the hell as gone wrong? Heard that one or two players falling out with coach,in fact I heard a certain player actually refused to play against Rochdale. I know we weren't going to break into the top 4 but I honestly thought this squad where good enough to get as high as 6th. All the this talk about Kelly as lost dressing room and the are not playing for him,well what about us the supporters,what about playing for us. I know there's quite a few that follow the club all over,this year Toronto & Toulouse.

I suspect some players have already signed contracts elsewhere for 2019 season. At this moment in time I can't see us winning another game in regular season,I hope I'm wrong. Looks like we need to be dusting our sat navs off ready for next season ??

Not sure what the answer is certainly hasn't been the season anyone hoped for. Defence is all over the place , will never win games leaking so many points. If some players have signed elsewhere then maybe that's no bad thing , a couple more bad results and I'd say it's time for a clear out. Player recruitment certainly hasn't been the best with hindsight. I wouldn't want to go down but if we just stay up , what's to say next season won't be the same? Just managing to beat the other releagtion threatened teams while the top 4 run cricket scores past us.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Bad results always comes down to one thing I'm afraid, the coach's man management doesn't seem to be working with the present players, while 18 years ago in his first spell, he couldn't do no wrong with his style.

Could be just down to the players we have are simply not good enough at his level,while other teams have moved to a different level required in this league.

Really hoping Ned's can do his magic again.

1 hour ago, andyram said:

Bad results always comes down to one thing I'm afraid, the coach's man management doesn't seem to be working with the present players, while 18 years ago in his first spell, he couldn't do no wrong with his style.

Could be just down to the players we have are simply not good enough at his level,while other teams have moved to a different level required in this league.

Really hoping Ned's can do his magic again.

Maybe your right,but his tactics worked last season from when he took over and the players seemed happy with that,but now their are certain players that are querying his tactics, what's changed?

If you make it this season at the expense of say Swinton & Rochdale and the likely arrival of Bradford & York I can envisage you and Sheffield being in a precarious position if things don't change over the winter

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

15 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

If you make it this season at the expense of say Swinton & Rochdale and the likely arrival of Bradford & York I can envisage you and Sheffield being in a precarious position if things don't change over the winter

Can't argue with that mate.

2 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Fair point for all of the "lesser" clubs to consider. However this season's efforts are the first priority.

The squad that we have are undoubtedly capable of keeping us up and have suffered an inexplicable loss of confidence. I don't see players not trying on the field, just applying themselves poorly in certain circumstances. Players will always blame coaches, and vice versa, when things go wrong yet they are definitely capable of working together and coming out of the present situation with a couple of wins and a turnaround. One decent result will make all the difference.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The title of the thread is a tad misleading from the Content qas I think it should be about how we can be optimistic for the rest of the season and as BSJ says one result can make a big difference- though it may come in an unexpected place rather than the usual suspects of Swinton or Sheffield- as I have said elsewhere we were looking bad with GM at the helm one time at Feath and turned it round magnificently albeit with the help of a thunderstorm- what price a lovely moment like in the late 70’s with Phil Artis orchestrating the win over Leeds (his only good game as far as I remember) when we were rock bottom of D1. Just contemplate - Toulouse are comfortable in the top 4 before the end of July and rest Ford et al for the middle 8’s and there is a thunderstorm at the end of July.....optimism! Or clutching at straws perhaps. 

2 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

The title of the thread is a tad misleading from the Content qas I think it should be about how we can be optimistic for the rest of the season and as BSJ says one result can make a big difference- though it may come in an unexpected place rather than the usual suspects of Swinton or Sheffield- as I have said elsewhere we were looking bad with GM at the helm one time at Feath and turned it round magnificently albeit with the help of a thunderstorm- what price a lovely moment like in the late 70’s with Phil Artis orchestrating the win over Leeds (his only good game as far as I remember) when we were rock bottom of D1. Just contemplate - Toulouse are comfortable in the top 4 before the end of July and rest Ford et al for the middle 8’s and there is a thunderstorm at the end of July.....optimism! Or clutching at straws perhaps. 

Phil Artis was vastly underrated as shown by Jeff Grayshon's criticisms of him when he was coach.

A lot can happen between now and September - let's hope that it is for the good.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

17 hours ago, Reverend Ram said:

The title of the thread is a tad misleading from the Content qas I think it should be about how we can be optimistic for the rest of the season 

I’m very optimistic!!! Optimistic that next year we’ll be playing teams at our level and enjoying my rugby again. Bring it on. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, graham fisher said:

Well me along with a lot of Rams fans where looking forward to this season with optimism,well what the hell as gone wrong? Heard that one or two players falling out with coach,in fact I heard a certain player actually refused to play against Rochdale. I know we weren't going to break into the top 4 but I honestly thought this squad where good enough to get as high as 6th. All the this talk about Kelly as lost dressing room and the are not playing for him,well what about us the supporters,what about playing for us. I know there's quite a few that follow the club all over,this year Toronto & Toulouse.

I suspect some players have already signed contracts elsewhere for 2019 season. At this moment in time I can't see us winning another game in regular season,I hope I'm wrong. Looks like we need to be dusting our sat navs off ready for next season ??

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, graham fisher said:

in my mind this could be the cause. No doubt Post Office Road parasites will have been illegally touting.

4 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

So you reckon if we got relegated as a club we would survive? Have you seen the crowds?

You're as bad as BSJ Graham.  I have seen the crowds and ours will be pants...BUT I note with interest that Hunslet, Keighley, Newcastle etc etc etc are still "surviving" !!

In fact the last club I remember not doing so was Bramley..

Maybe we wouldn't.  Maybe MS would pull out and we would go t*ts up but to be honest Ill take the risk because the last few years have been desperately disappointing and even if we do survive next season would be no different..

OK, Im grumpy, lack ambition.....whatever it is Im not on my own. Have you seen our own gates when the likes of Rochdale etc come to play?  Im not on my own..People are voting with their feet...

Roll on the restructure. 

I'm not sure what the best structure will be moving forward, but this is certainly not working for anyone except maybe the top 4 and SL.

Despite what the Fev fans would have you believe about massive revenue streams away from attendances, I won't be too surprised if they find themselves in the mire should one of the full time teams shoe horn them out of the top 4. 

Even for us, we have a fairly good side at our level, but we all knew we were playing for 6th or 7th at best, that was even before a ball was kicked. Just like everyone knew who the top 5 would be, how exciting is that?

Personally, I'd go for a 16 team all full time SL and ditch the playoffs structure and magic weekend, but then again, I'm not paying umpteen Million pounds to the RFL for the privilege of televising it.

We need restructure to save us,as does the game.Even if there is 30 teams in the league.

Bit by bit it's coming out what has been going on. A player not wanting to play a home match.

What on earth is that about,if it's true i hope Ned has shown him the door.

That match against Leeds all those years ago.Phil Artis what hero he was that day along with the teams performance.

26 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Roll on the restructure. 

I'm not sure what the best structure will be moving forward, but this is certainly not working for anyone except maybe the top 4 and SL.

Despite what the Fev fans would have you believe about massive revenue streams away from attendances, I won't be too surprised if they find themselves in the mire should one of the full time teams shoe horn them out of the top 4. 

Even for us, we have a fairly good side at our level, but we all new we were playing for 6th or 7th at best, that was even before a ball was kicked. Just like everyone new who the top 5 would be, how exciting is that?

Personally, I'd go for a 16 team all full time SL and ditch the playoffs structure and magic weekend, but then again, I'm not paying umpteen Million pounds to the RFL for the privilege of televising it.

Nar.. 

This would be better

Super league 1 10 full time teams

Super league 2 10 full time teams

Championship all the rest of the part time teams

Straight Promotion & relegation between super league 1 & 2

Top team in championship offered a place super league 2 but if accepted have to go full time set out in the criteria for super league 2.

Bottom of super league 2 will not be relegated to the championship unless the team winning the championship wants to be promoted and go full time

Team relegated from super league 2 have to return to part time to comply with the championships criteria. 

The sponsors call the shots, and the Sky contract has another two years to run. In other words there is no more substantial money coming into the game and nor will there be until the power struggle between SL and the RFL is resolved, which could take a year or more.

The SL clubs can't accept less individually than they are presently getting; if they did then at leat two would go bust, so they won't vote for any change that reduces their individual income. Hence a SL1 and SL2 might look attractive from a hypothetical point of view but the money isn't available to support it.

We will go around in circles for another year and, in the meantime will be welcoming Bradford and York/Doncaster into the Championship next season both of whom will command bigger budgets than we do, if we survive. We wouldn't be the only club sweating on that outcome.

Happy Days!

On 16/05/2018 at 5:50 AM, graham fisher said:

That certain should never play for the club again makes me anger this ??

Archived